Why does Germany have a better PR than the Tea Party?

Started by Martinus, September 17, 2011, 03:00:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Or why is the American debt ceiling debacle similar to the Eurozone debacle.

Consider this (and this may be my worst analogy ever, so bear with me).

1. Both the US debt ceiling crisis and the Eurozone crisis were caused by someone else. In the US case, these were previous, non-TP governments. In the Eurozone, these were, ostensibly, the PIIGS.

2. Both the TP and Germany have a legitimate gripe with the crisis - and this relates to the fiscal responsibility of others (the federal government and the PIIGS, respectively).

3. Both have, despite these legitimate gripes, benefited to an extent politically or economically from the past situation. The TP from Bush's unwarranted tax cuts, Germany from huge tariff-free, same currency markets.

4. Both have ignored in the past the cause of the gripes. The TP for supporting costly, irresponsible endeavors (like the said tax cuts, or fighting wars on two fronts - or at least by voting for neocons who did that), Germany by looking away when Greece was cooking its books (see 3 above) or the PIIGS otherwise fucking with their fiscal policies.

5. Both have in their hands, politically, the future of their respective structures (the health of the US budget, the very existence of the Eurozone). Both insist on (or at least posture to appear that they are, for political reasons) taking a "principled" stance ("We won't raise taxes to balance the budget." "We won't pay any euro more to bail out the PIIGS") which may result in an economical catastrophe.

So why is the TP derided as being irresponsible, and Germany's stance is met with approval and sympathy? What's the difference between a TP taxpayer not willing to pay for the bailout of the US federal budget and a German taxpayer not willing to pay for a bailout of Greece (aka the entire Eurozone)?

Sometimes you have to pay someone else's bills if your only sin is that of omission - sorry, that's how it is. It is not a time for being principled and causing a complete ruin. Deal with it, Germans.

MadBurgerMaker

The "Tea Party" is made up of a bunch of different groups.  It's not just one political party or whatever.

Martinus

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 17, 2011, 03:06:12 AM
The "Tea Party" is made up of a bunch of different groups.  It's not just one political party or whatever.

Well, Germany also has different parties in it. I was just taking the stance of both as a uniform one.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Martinus on September 17, 2011, 03:08:40 AM
Well, Germany also has different parties in it. I was just taking the stance of both as a uniform one.

Sure, but I'm drunk, so none of that matters.  I'm busy latching on to one part of the post because that's all I can handle right now.   :P

Zanza

Germany gets good press for its role in the Euro crisis?

Tamas

Well, the Tea Party consists mostly racist lunatics. It so happens that they want austerity (I think their mob wants it because they don't realize it would cut back on their white trash lifestyle as well).

Germany is a responsibly-budgeting economic powerhouse, which was foolish enough to let it white trash cousins, the PIIGS spend the family silverware on booze and drugs, and now trying to save the house, as the PIIGS started cutting it down for timber.

Martinus

Ok, so it is not about the merits of their respective arguments, but how palpable they are? Gotcha. Thought so.

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on September 17, 2011, 03:45:59 AM
Ok, so it is not about the merits of their respective arguments, but how palpable they are? Gotcha. Thought so.

Not really. In a lot of ways I agree with what the Tea Party wants economically. Which is, by the way, quite the opposite of how Germany works, what with state healthcare and such. (this is where your comparison dies). [yoda]Germany does not with laisez faire equals[/yoda]

But the thing is, Tea Party is not just about laisez faire. They are about racism, bigottry, and ludditism. Those are the things which keep a lot of people away I am sure.

The Larch

Zanza

derspiess

Quote from: Tamas on September 17, 2011, 03:41:33 AM
Well, the Tea Party consists mostly racist lunatics. It so happens that they want austerity (I think their mob wants it because they don't realize it would cut back on their white trash lifestyle as well).

So where are you getting the impression that the Tea Party movement is mostly racist and also white trash? 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

I think an important difference is that Germany will be expected to bail the Med out to a much greater extent than the average white trash member of the Tea Party will be expected to sacrifice for the sake of the US budget deficit.  Also, Germany's stand is against Southern Europeans, who are very unlikeable, while the Tea Party is full of people who themselves are not likeable, like Christian lunatics, goldbugs and robber barons.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

The Germans have resisted the urge to go in historical dress.  For which we should all be thankful.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 17, 2011, 10:39:33 AM
The Germans have resisted the urge to go in historical dress.  For which we should all be thankful.

Only because their constitution bans swastikas.