Why does Germany have a better PR than the Tea Party?

Started by Martinus, September 17, 2011, 03:00:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 17, 2011, 02:10:37 PM
Fascism is just an ad-hom in modern times.

Yep.  It's an intellectually-lazy way for DG to tar people he disagrees with.  I would question if he knew what it actually meant, but I know he isn't that stupid.  That's what makes it difficult to understand why he thinks the TP is for "fascism."
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

I would guess it has a lot to do with where Marty gets his news.  The international financial press is not prone to demonize ideological opponents.

Viking

I just realized something about the Tea Party that makes reasonably good sense.. the Tea-Baggers almost certainly are not aware of it...

Now, what the original Tea Party was protesting was the importation of Tea from the East India Company on the grounds that the only remaining tax to pay for the French and Indian War on the North American Colonies was the stamp duty on Tea. Now, the reasons the stamp duty on Tea remained were two fold. First of all the British Parliament had acceded to the petition of the Albany Congress (iirc) to repeal the duties on imports to and from North America on reasonable grounds, but left the symbolic stamp duty on tea to maintain it's right to tax all British Subjects. Second of all Parliament was bailing out the East India Company and since the North American colonies were not paying for that bailout they felt it was only fair that the North Americans not get the bounty of cheap tea the bailout was creating.

So, Teabaggery makes sense only in the sense that they are against bailouts on principle.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Zanza

Quote from: Iormlund on September 17, 2011, 02:32:13 PMHas there anyone seriously suggested the Eurozone is a Neonazi scheme to dominate Europe? Other than insane conspiracy theorists, I mean.
Not in respectable media as far as I know, but certainly in tabloids and similar media.

Razgovory

Quote from: Iormlund on September 17, 2011, 02:32:13 PM
Has there anyone seriously suggested the Eurozone is a Neonazi scheme to dominate Europe? Other than insane conspiracy theorists, I mean.

Unlike what Marti seems to think Germany does bear some responsibility in this whole mess, but let's not go overboard.

Insane conspiracy theories are fairly rampant in southern Europe.  Several countries in recent years have played the Nazi card to embarrass Germany into doing what they want.  I don't think it's going to work for much longer, if it works at all now.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Even in the 40s Orwell said it had become devalued and worthless as a political term.

Only when the Germans are involved.  Our Eurosceptic press has indulged in Fourth Reich talk a bit. 

But for the rabid anti-EU types they like Soviet hyerbole.  So EUSSR, Commissar for Commissioner and so on.  I admire their creativity.
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on September 17, 2011, 04:54:28 PM
Insane conspiracy theories are fairly rampant in southern Europe.  Several countries in recent years have played the Nazi card to embarrass Germany into doing what they want.  I don't think it's going to work for much longer, if it works at all now.
In southern Europe?  Aren't they all former fascists themselves?  Even the Irish are tainted by their love of terrorism.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on September 17, 2011, 01:56:11 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 17, 2011, 01:47:20 PM
uhhhh

All right. The next time there is a Tea Party rally, I'm going to go to see if any of that stuff is actually true.

We already know you go to Tea Party rallies.

He's worried Obama's gonna take his guns.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 17, 2011, 08:10:35 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 17, 2011, 01:56:11 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 17, 2011, 01:47:20 PM
uhhhh

All right. The next time there is a Tea Party rally, I'm going to go to see if any of that stuff is actually true.

We already know you go to Tea Party rallies.

He's worried Obama's gonna take his guns.

Harry Reid will protect me. :)
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 17, 2011, 07:16:05 PM
Even in the 40s Orwell said it had become devalued and worthless as a political term.

Only when the Germans are involved.  Our Eurosceptic press has indulged in Fourth Reich talk a bit. 

But for the rabid anti-EU types they like Soviet hyerbole.  So EUSSR, Commissar for Commissioner and so on.  I admire their creativity.

American conservatives use both.  Often interchangeably.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on September 17, 2011, 09:10:20 PM

Yes because they've both been reduced to ad-homs, and also because they are functionally interchangeable anyway.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ideologue

Quote from: derspiess on September 17, 2011, 09:00:12 AM
Quote from: Tamas on September 17, 2011, 03:41:33 AM
Well, the Tea Party consists mostly racist lunatics. It so happens that they want austerity (I think their mob wants it because they don't realize it would cut back on their white trash lifestyle as well).

So where are you getting the impression that the Tea Party movement is mostly racist and also white trash?

That's the impression I've gotten, and I live here, and have met people who embrace it.  It's a stereotype for a reason.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 17, 2011, 09:14:21 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 17, 2011, 09:10:20 PM

Yes because they've both been reduced to ad-homs, and also because they are functionally interchangeable anyway.

Only for idiots.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

AnchorClanker

The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr