And we're back!

Main Menu

Stamp out anti-science in US politics

Started by Brazen, September 15, 2011, 04:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on September 19, 2011, 09:46:54 AM
Quote from: Barrister on September 19, 2011, 09:30:15 AM

Are you familiar with the concept of a "parable"?

Can perhaps a story have some greater meaning upon reflection?

But this isn't a parable. The Parables are stories told by Jesus as pedagogical tools. This is an act of Jesus, not a story told by Jesus. This is a case of Jesus being confronted with a dilemma of being a dick or denying the law of GOd, he solves it by choosing a third option, accusing his challengers of frequenting prostitutes. Either Jesus lacks moral courage or he agrees with the principle of Divine Command Ethics.

Um this is a story told about Jesus.  It is like somehow you cannot get your head around the Bible not being literal facts even though you keep saying it isn't.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

But this isn't a parable. The Parables are stories told by Jesus as pedagogical tools. This is an act of Jesus, not a story told by Jesus. This is a case of Jesus being confronted with a dilemma of being a dick or denying the law of GOd, he solves it by choosing a third option, accusing his challengers of frequenting prostitutes. Either Jesus lacks moral courage or he agrees with the principle of Divine Command Ethics.

Where do you get Prostitutes out of this?  If you are going to arguing about this stuff, you really should brush up on your theology.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

No, Jesus is saying that everyone is a sinner, and therefore nobody should be throwing stones at anyone.

Yes, Jesus was presented with two unpleasant options (much like you are trying to do), and he selected the third option.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on September 19, 2011, 11:08:35 AM

No, Jesus is saying that everyone is a sinner, and therefore nobody should be throwing stones at anyone.

Yes, Jesus was presented with two unpleasant options (much like you are trying to do), and he selected the third option.

I am not sure Viking has yet got his mind around the fact this is a parable rather than a literal story from which no deeper meaning may be found.

If he gets to that point he will understand the point you are now making.

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on September 19, 2011, 09:55:43 AM

Um this is a story told about Jesus.  It is like somehow you cannot get your head around the Bible not being literal facts even though you keep saying it isn't.

This is not an actual reply to my post. I have no problem with parts of the Bible not being considered literal. The problem I have is the Bible is presented as consisting of literal facts which are untrue. I have a problem with the ONLY means of separating the literal from the symbolic parts of the bible is the proof by external agents (scientists and historians) that certain parts are not literal. What I want to hear from the Bibilical Figurativists what criteria you can use to segregate the symbolic from the literal? If you can't point to any cause that is not scientists and historians proving bits of the bible to be wrong then I feel I can safely assert that the symbolic view of the bible is bunk. If you can't make a internally consistent argument for your own religion then it is BS.

The phrase Literal facts is a self contradictory phrase. Any facts that are not literal are not facts. Things cannot be sort of true or sort of exist.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on September 19, 2011, 10:51:36 AM
Where do you get Prostitutes out of this?  If you are going to arguing about this stuff, you really should brush up on your theology.

I have sound reason to considering the Adulteress to be equivalent to a modern Prostitute, you should really brush up on your theology.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Barrister

Quote from: Viking on September 19, 2011, 02:46:19 PM
This is not an actual reply to my post. I have no problem with parts of the Bible not being considered literal. The problem I have is the Bible is presented as consisting of literal facts which are untrue. I have a problem with the ONLY means of separating the literal from the symbolic parts of the bible is the proof by external agents (scientists and historians) that certain parts are not literal. What I want to hear from the Bibilical Figurativists what criteria you can use to segregate the symbolic from the literal? If you can't point to any cause that is not scientists and historians proving bits of the bible to be wrong then I feel I can safely assert that the symbolic view of the bible is bunk. If you can't make a internally consistent argument for your own religion then it is BS.

The phrase Literal facts is a self contradictory phrase. Any facts that are not literal are not facts. Things cannot be sort of true or sort of exist.

Viking, you want 100% perfect and consistent worldview.  Well, nohing works like that - not even science.  We have competing scientific views.  Historians argue constantly.

In my own opinion, some parts of the Bible are 100% true.  That Christ was the son of God, died on a cross, and rose from the dead, actually happened (IMHO).  The rest of the stuff?  I dunno.  I'm willing to think and discuss it.

You want perfection and consistency about what is almost by definition the unknowable.  I don't think it works that way.

Viking

Please try responding to my argument. You said it was a parable. I say it is not.

Now, what I want to hear from you is an explanation of how we, with obviously completely different understandings of this part of the bible, can reach any form of truth or harmony given this obvious opposed understanding of this? How is morality supposed to come from lessons that are understood completely differently and how is morality supposed to come from a book that fails the euthyphro test?

Barrister

Quote from: Viking on September 19, 2011, 02:54:43 PM

Please try responding to my argument. You said it was a parable. I say it is not.

Now, what I want to hear from you is an explanation of how we, with obviously completely different understandings of this part of the bible, can reach any form of truth or harmony given this obvious opposed understanding of this? How is morality supposed to come from lessons that are understood completely differently and how is morality supposed to come from a book that fails the euthyphro test?

I would respond with saying "please try and listen to my argument", but I know the effort would be wasted.

Have a nice evening Viking. :)

Viking

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 19, 2011, 02:09:49 PM

I am not sure Viking has yet got his mind around the fact this is a parable rather than a literal story from which no deeper meaning may be found.

It is not a parable. It's a story about Jesus. The parables are stories told BY Jesus to his followers as analogies to explain theology to them. This is a story about Jesus being challenged by the Priests. I have no problem with the Parables as they can and do stand on their own merits, you can deal with them outside the divinity of Jesus and outside the political situation of 1st century Palestine.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Viking on September 19, 2011, 02:54:43 PM

You believe that if all people do not have exactly the same understand of a piece of text the text can have no ability to teach a lesson?

Barrister

Quote from: Viking on September 19, 2011, 02:57:02 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 19, 2011, 02:09:49 PM

It is not a parable. It's a story about Jesus. The parables are stories told BY Jesus to his followers as analogies to explain theology to them. This is a story about Jesus being challenged by the Priests. I have no problem with the Parables as they can and do stand on their own merits, you can deal with them outside the divinity of Jesus and outside the political situation of 1st century Palestine.

Aw, Jesus, I can't stand it any more.

IT *IS* A PARABLE BECAUSE JESUS WASN'T LITERALLY TALKING ABOUT WHO WOULD THROW AN ACTUAL STONE AT THE WOMAN IN FRONT OF HIM!!!111

I have now lost this thread, because I responded moments after I said I wouldn't.  :Embarrass:

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on September 19, 2011, 02:56:22 PM

Jesus would have known this was the proper answer posts ago :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on September 19, 2011, 02:59:21 PM

Unlike the Beatles, I do not pretend to be better than Jesus.   :blush:

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on September 19, 2011, 03:00:25 PM
Quote from: HVC on September 19, 2011, 02:59:21 PM

Unlike the Beatles, I do not pretend to be better than Jesus.   :blush:
it's ok. If it makes you feel any better about your relapse into the thread there's a a small but not insignificant possiblilty that jesus, upon reading this thread, would have gotten pissed and knock over some tables. Even Jesus ain't perfect ;) :P

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.