News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Stamp out anti-science in US politics

Started by Brazen, September 15, 2011, 04:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Silly me, I shouldn't have gotten in argument with Viking over this.  It's like arguing with Slargos.  Bigots are always the same.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

PDH

Do countries exist?  Nations?  I would think that genetic prove families, but what of kinship?  What about nuances, or are they merely shadows to obfuscate our clear reason?  The world not only has all sorts of grey areas, it also has socially created realities that are real because they have an obvious effect even though they can't be pinned down any more than love, hope, or wishing for a fudgesicle can.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on September 16, 2011, 05:55:42 PM
Silly me, I shouldn't have gotten in argument with Viking over this.  It's like arguing with Slargos.  Bigots are always the same.

To paraphrase Freddy der Grosse when commenting the war with sweden. I didn't know I was in a debate with you.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Fate

Quote from: Razgovory on September 16, 2011, 05:54:18 PM
Quote from: Fate on September 16, 2011, 05:18:28 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 16, 2011, 05:10:13 PM
Quote from: Fate on September 16, 2011, 05:08:40 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 16, 2011, 05:05:39 PM
That's not a complete thought.

I don't think you can find bigfoot in an eyeball. You can find emotion within the limbic system.

You found envy in a limbic system?  What did it look like?  Was it really green?
The neuronal cell bodies tend to be shades of off-white while the axonal tracts are white. On fMRI metabolically active areas tend to be red.

So you found the parts that felt envy, not actual envy?

Individual neuronal cell bodies and axons experience depolarization and hyperpolarization. They do not feel envy. A specific activity pattern of neuronal interactions within the limbic system is actual envy.

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on September 16, 2011, 05:58:10 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 16, 2011, 05:55:42 PM

To paraphrase Freddy der Grosse when commenting the war with sweden. I didn't know I was in a debate with you.

Do you believe there are two Razgovorys?  One you have been responding to and another you haven't?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

fhdz

Quote from: Viking on September 16, 2011, 01:09:05 PM
From my experience going Deist on the existence of God for any religion is a cop-out. It is a defense mechanism where the believer uses deism to get the atheist to accept that he can't prove that the Deist god doesn't exists thus any god could exist.

That's what I said.
and the horse you rode in on

DGuller

People who give credence to intelligent design theory are proof that the concept is bunk.

Barrister

Quote from: Viking on September 16, 2011, 05:06:25 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 16, 2011, 05:01:02 PM
Quote from: Viking on September 16, 2011, 04:58:32 PM
Good, now I can go get my morales from a person who thinks that stoning adulturesses is wrong in and of itself rather than stoning is ok as long as the men doing the stoning are not hypocrites.

I never recall insisting you do.  Are you seriously this concrete?

I was using it as an example of Jesus' obvious immorality. Jesus didn't oppose the stoning of the woman, he argued that the men who had visited whores themselves could not morally take part in the execution (presumably under the threat of exposing some of the mob in public as adulterers).

I am this concrete. Reality is real and reality has consequences.

You really, really missed the mark on that one.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Viking

Quote from: Barrister on September 19, 2011, 09:17:53 AM
Good, now I can go get my morales from a person who thinks that stoning adulturesses is wrong in and of itself rather than stoning is ok as long as the men doing the stoning are not hypocrites.

I was using it as an example of Jesus' obvious immorality. Jesus didn't oppose the stoning of the woman, he argued that the men who had visited whores themselves could not morally take part in the execution (presumably under the threat of exposing some of the mob in public as adulterers).

Pray tell me, is the stoning of adulturesses moral? Jesus seems to think so, his objection is to "those without sin" participating. He is nice to the lady after telling her to "go and sin no more", but presumably this also means "eat no more".

How can he be morale when he advocates the death penalty for prostitution, but only by the sin-less and how can he be morale when he takes no action to help the woman get out of prostitution? I'm pretty sure the canadian legal system is infinitely more morale since it doesn't kill women for being prostitutes and the canadian social state helps these women get out of prostitution.

This is just me analysing one of the bible stories on it's own merits. Merely being in the bible does not confer any relevance or merit.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Barrister

Quote from: Viking on September 19, 2011, 09:26:35 AM
Quote from: Barrister on September 19, 2011, 09:17:53 AM

Pray tell me, is the stoning of adulturesses moral? Jesus seems to think so, his objection is to "those without sin" participating. He is nice to the lady after telling her to "go and sin no more", but presumably this also means "eat no more".

How can he be morale when he advocates the death penalty for prostitution, but only by the sin-less and how can he be morale when he takes no action to help the woman get out of prostitution? I'm pretty sure the canadian legal system is infinitely more morale since it doesn't kill women for being prostitutes and the canadian social state helps these women get out of prostitution.

This is just me analysing one of the bible stories on it's own merits. Merely being in the bible does not confer any relevance or merit.

Are you familiar with the concept of a "parable"?

Can perhaps a story have some greater meaning upon reflection?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Viking

Quote from: Barrister on September 19, 2011, 09:30:15 AM

But this isn't a parable. The Parables are stories told by Jesus as pedagogical tools. This is an act of Jesus, not a story told by Jesus. This is a case of Jesus being confronted with a dilemma of being a dick or denying the law of GOd, he solves it by choosing a third option, accusing his challengers of frequenting prostitutes. Either Jesus lacks moral courage or he agrees with the principle of Divine Command Ethics.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on September 19, 2011, 09:30:15 AM

He's froma protty country. they like their stories literal. easier that way.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.