Stamp out anti-science in US politics

Started by Brazen, September 15, 2011, 04:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Fate on September 16, 2011, 04:47:01 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on September 16, 2011, 03:55:58 PM
Quote from: Viking on September 16, 2011, 03:51:24 PM
There is a spiritual world? Prove it.

Only after you prove the existence of love, hatred, friendship, envy...

Mammilary nuclei, antherior thalamic nuclei, cingulate gyrus, enterorhinal cortex, amygdala, hippocampus....

Now where's the spiritual world?

The Hippopotamus proves the existence of Envy?  Does the eyeball prove the existence of Bigfoot?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Oexmelin

Quote from: Viking on September 16, 2011, 04:53:33 PM
You are obfuscating. You did not ready my reply nor have you attempted to deal with it in any way. Experiences we have of the material world cannot be analogous to experiences of the spiritual world when the issue up for discussion is the existence of a non-material spiritual world.

I have not addressed the rest of your question because I think it is fruitless to address it in such manner. I don't think the distinction between "material" and "non-material" becomes useful in such debates, because so many things we value, and should value, are not "material", yet are neither untrue nor impotent.

Let's twist it in a different thing, just to push you further: do you think free will exists? What about consciousness? Or are they just "words" we put on material things?
Que le grand cric me croque !

Fate

Quote from: Razgovory on September 16, 2011, 05:01:34 PM
Quote from: Fate on September 16, 2011, 04:47:01 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on September 16, 2011, 03:55:58 PM
Quote from: Viking on September 16, 2011, 03:51:24 PM
There is a spiritual world? Prove it.

Only after you prove the existence of love, hatred, friendship, envy...

Mammilary nuclei, antherior thalamic nuclei, cingulate gyrus, enterorhinal cortex, amygdala, hippocampus....

Now where's the spiritual world?

The Hippopotamus proves the existence of Envy?  Does the eyeball prove the existence of Bigfoot?

A fMRI study of those areas as the subject experiences said emotion, perhaps...

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on September 16, 2011, 05:01:02 PM
Quote from: Viking on September 16, 2011, 04:58:32 PM
Good, now I can go get my morales from a person who thinks that stoning adulturesses is wrong in and of itself rather than stoning is ok as long as the men doing the stoning are not hypocrites.

I never recall insisting you do.  Are you seriously this concrete?

I was using it as an example of Jesus' obvious immorality. Jesus didn't oppose the stoning of the woman, he argued that the men who had visited whores themselves could not morally take part in the execution (presumably under the threat of exposing some of the mob in public as adulterers).

I am this concrete. Reality is real and reality has consequences.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Fate

Quote from: Razgovory on September 16, 2011, 05:05:39 PM
That's not a complete thought.

I don't think you can find bigfoot in an eyeball. You can find emotion within the limbic system. fMRI can demonstrate this existence.

Razgovory

Quote from: Fate on September 16, 2011, 05:08:40 PM

I don't think you can find bigfoot in an eyeball. You can find emotion within the limbic system.

You found envy in a limbic system?  What did it look like?  Was it really green?

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on September 16, 2011, 05:06:25 PM
I was using it as an example of Jesus' obvious immorality. Jesus didn't oppose the stoning of the woman, he argued that the men who had visited whores themselves could not morally take part in the execution (presumably under the threat of exposing some of the mob in public as adulterers).

Well then I guess that explains why you seem to have no idea what I am talking about when it seems obvious to me.

But in any case all sorts of things that do not exist in a phyiscal or material sense have consequences and are considered 'real'.  That is what is so amazing about humans how we just create shit out of our words and thoughts and eventually it seems as real as any material object.  Or at least I think that is pretty amazing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Viking

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 16, 2011, 05:02:56 PM
Quote from: Viking on September 16, 2011, 04:53:33 PM
You are obfuscating. You did not ready my reply nor have you attempted to deal with it in any way. Experiences we have of the material world cannot be analogous to experiences of the spiritual world when the issue up for discussion is the existence of a non-material spiritual world.

I have not addressed the rest of your question because I think it is fruitless to address it in such manner. I don't think the distinction between "material" and "non-material" becomes useful in such debates, because so many things we value, and should value, are not "material", yet are neither untrue nor impotent.

Let's twist it in a different thing, just to push you further: do you think free will exists? What about consciousness? Or are they just "words" we put on material things?

I'd suggest it would be fruitless for you because you can't. I think the distinction is important because THAT IS WHAT WE ARE DISCUSSING. Claiming some moral justification for action or behavior based on spiritual reasons depends on the existence of the spiritual world at all and it's nature.

Now you are confusing moral and spiritual issues with ethical issues. Ethics and morality exist and can exist in the purely material world. You don't need a god to have morals. Divine Command Morality is immoral from my point of view.

But, to your questions. Are we fully determined. I don't know. I seem to have free will and will operate under that assumption. As long as there is no prospect of "psycho history" being a science it doesn't matter having free will and not knowing what you are determined to do seem to be indistinguishable.

What is consciousness. It's an evolved artifact of our brain which permits our body to do things that we could not do without it. Though, this is just an opinion of mine, science is still ongoing. 

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Fate

Quote from: Razgovory on September 16, 2011, 05:10:13 PM

I don't think you can find bigfoot in an eyeball. You can find emotion within the limbic system.

You found envy in a limbic system?  What did it look like?  Was it really green?
The neuronal cell bodies tend to be shades of off-white while the axonal tracts are white. On fMRI metabolically active areas tend to be red.

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on September 16, 2011, 05:11:43 PM
Quote from: Viking on September 16, 2011, 05:06:25 PM

Well then I guess that explains why you seem to have no idea what I am talking about when it seems obvious to me.

But in any case all sorts of things that do not exist in a phyiscal or material sense have consequences and are considered 'real'.  That is what is so amazing about humans how we just create shit out of our words and thoughts and eventually it seems as real as any material object.  Or at least I think that is pretty amazing.

Our thoughts and emotions are material. They exist in the electric currents of our brains. If I rewire your brain your personality changes and you thoughts change. What is not material is ghosts, gods and devils, heaven and hell etc. etc. No information (or books) has come from a non-material source to give us morality or truth or goodness or whatever. We invented that stuff ourselves.

You seem to include ethics, morality, emotion and sentiment in the spiritual world. We know these "things" (artifacts of the mind to be technical) are material. We can look at the brain and see what is happening in the brain and we have a 1-1 relationship between brain activity and the above mentioned emotions. God or Saints or Ghosts or Devils or whatever are not mediating these emotions.

Viking

Quote from: Fate on September 16, 2011, 05:18:28 PM

The neuronal cell bodies tend to be shades of off-white while the axonal tracts are white. On fMRI metabolically active areas tend to be red.

I want to point out that in fMRI images colours are chosen by the operators of the equipment, not colour intrinsic to the nature of the activity.

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on September 16, 2011, 05:24:06 PM
Our thoughts and emotions are material. They exist in the electric currents of our brains. If I rewire your brain your personality changes and you thoughts change. What is not material is ghosts, gods and devils, heaven and hell etc. etc. No information (or books) has come from a non-material source to give us morality or truth or goodness or whatever. We invented that stuff ourselves.

You seem to include ethics, morality, emotion and sentiment in the spiritual world. We know these "things" (artifacts of the mind to be technical) are material. We can look at the brain and see what is happening in the brain and we have a 1-1 relationship between brain activity and the above mentioned emotions. God or Saints or Ghosts or Devils or whatever are not mediating these emotions.

I am not exactly sure how anything you say contradicts or disproves what I am saying.

Except I find the concept that because certain emotions have brain waves associated with them, that is what they materially are.  As in if somebody asked me 'what is envy' I could just whip out some brain scans and have them go 'ah gotcha' like I could if they asked me what a rock is and I showed them a picture of a rock.  Besides if that is the case why wouldn't thinking about a devil produce those brain waves and that therefore be a devil and therefore devils materially exist?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on September 16, 2011, 05:37:44 PM

I am not exactly sure how anything you say contradicts or disproves what I am saying.

Except I find the concept that because certain emotions have brain waves associated with them, that is what they materially are.  As in if somebody asked me 'what is envy' I could just whip out some brain scans and have them go 'ah gotcha' like I could if they asked me what a rock is and I showed them a picture of a rock.

Envy is not a printout of a brain scan. The brain scan shows the activity in a brain of a person who is behaving in a manner which most people would consider to be typical of envy. It's not the same thing.

Razgovory

Quote from: Fate on September 16, 2011, 05:18:28 PM

So you found the parts that felt envy, not actual envy?  Just as my eyeball sees what what I think is a bigfoot, as opposed to bigfoot actually being in my eye.