News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Would embracing gays cost conservatives votes?

Started by Martinus, September 14, 2011, 10:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: derspiess on September 14, 2011, 06:09:33 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 14, 2011, 06:02:10 PM
Yi should be reminded that the modern GOP loves playing the victim as well.  It's just more absurd when they do so.  Things like the the evil liberal media and the War on Christmas.  In the words of former GOP congresswoman Helen Chenoweth ""It's the white, Anglo-Saxon male that's endangered today."

Yeah, that's been covered already.  And you guys are defining the "victimhood" thing down a bit.  Unless I missed the part where conservatives are trying to get in on the affirmative action gravy train or advocating for special rights for themselves.

Just throwing it out there, education vouchers?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: Razgovory on September 14, 2011, 06:02:10 PM
Yi should be reminded that the modern GOP loves playing the victim as well.  It's just more absurd when they do so.  Things like the the evil liberal media and the War on Christmas.  In the words of former GOP congresswoman Helen Chenoweth ""It's the white, Anglo-Saxon male that's endangered today."

Yeah, that's been covered already.  And you guys are defining the "victimhood" thing down a bit.  Unless I missed the part where conservatives are trying to get in on the affirmative action gravy train or advocating for special rights for themselves.

You mean like the tax exempt status of churches?  Watching Fox News you immediately get the feeling that Conservatives are constant assault.  http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-july-27-2011/gop---special-victims-unit
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on September 14, 2011, 06:12:26 PM

All voucher programs that I've read about are for less than the cost of a public school education.

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 14, 2011, 06:20:04 PM

All voucher programs that I've read about are for less than the cost of a public school education.

But it's public funds flowing into private education, right?  Which means, predominantly, Christian private and home schooling, support for which is often couched in a "my child will be a victim of state propaganda if I let them go to public school" sort of way.

It was the first thing I could think of, so maybe it's not a great example.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on September 14, 2011, 06:23:06 PM
But it's public funds flowing into private education, right?  Which means, predominantly, Christian private and home schooling, support for which is often couched in a "my child will be a victim of state propaganda if I let them go to public school" sort of way.

It was the first thing I could think of, so maybe it's not a great example.

It's not a great example.  It would be a better example if everyone in favor of vouchers owned a private Christian for profit school.

Razgovory

:lol:  Yeah, that's it.  And the sudden increase in private schools in the South after Brown v Board of education was due to costs as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

And you guys are defining the "victimhood" thing down a bit.  Unless I missed the part where conservatives are trying to get in on the affirmative action gravy train or advocating for special rights for themselves.

Yeah well we don't have affirmative action in Texas so I forget about that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on September 14, 2011, 06:29:19 PM
:lol:  Yeah, that's it.  And the sudden increase in private schools in the South after Brown v Board of education was due to costs as well.

Are you staking your immense Languish reputation on the claim that at least some voucher programs pay out more than the cost of public education? :huh:

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 14, 2011, 06:31:07 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 14, 2011, 06:29:19 PM

Are you staking your immense Languish reputation on the claim that at least some voucher programs pay out more than the cost of public education? :huh:

No, I'm staking my immense Languish reputation for at least some of the appeal of voucher programs is to undermine the teaching of things Conservatives don't like.  Things such as Evolution.  Can't teach creationism in public school, so we shift more government funding to private schools where you can teach kids anything.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on September 14, 2011, 06:35:41 PM
No, I'm staking my immense Languish reputation for at least some of the appeal of voucher programs is to undermine the teaching of things Conservatives don't like.  Things such as Evolution.  Can't teach creationism in public school, so we shift more government funding to private schools where you can teach kids anything.

Right, but Ide was asking about the gravy train.

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 14, 2011, 06:39:55 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 14, 2011, 06:35:41 PM

Right, but Ide was asking about the gravy train.

I was referring mainly to the "or special rights for themselves" part.

Now, technically, it's not a special right; if I wanted to set up a School for Atheists, I could do so, but the market reality is that most voucher cash would go to Christian education, and much of the rest to Jewish or Muslim education, so in a practical sense the voucher movement would be advocating for a special right on the part of extremely religious parents to educate their child in the manner they wish at least partly on the public dime.
Kinemalogue

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on September 14, 2011, 05:48:09 PM
I thought it was their little subculture and stuff.  I don't see garbon or Habsy or most of the gay guys I know IRL latching on to being victims.

I mean that is not to say they do not have whiny victims but every group does that.

Right and per the victim narrative, I should be the biggest mouth here about victimization seeing as how I'm twice a minority...and yet that doesn't actually pan out.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Also, as for "gravy train," if you count reductions in liabilities as adding a positive to a negative, conservatives do complain A LOT about the gravy train for rich people and corporations as just not being maglev enough.
Kinemalogue

Sheilbh

Our new sort-of voucher scheme's for the same amount as public school education I think, and more for special needs and poor kids.

What does having victim status have to do with claiming special benefits?  Why can't you have one without the other?

Edit:  But, to be fair, schools can't make a profit so that's moot.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 14, 2011, 06:49:16 PM
What does having victim status have to do with claiming special benefits?  Why can't you have one without the other?

It's theoretically possible.  And as I think you already noted gays have had one without the other.