News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Would embracing gays cost conservatives votes?

Started by Martinus, September 14, 2011, 10:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 14, 2011, 01:18:18 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 14, 2011, 01:15:39 PMI know.  I made mention of that since income inequality (whether real or imagined) is a driving force for women's groups and black civil rights groups.
But that's because gays have never been economically disadvantaged for generations in everything but love we've been equally advantaged and disadvantaged as anyone else.  Women and blacks have, so of course there's an important economic element there. 

I think you're missing my point.  I'm saying I hope the lack of supposed economic disparity would allow teh gayz to drop the movement thing in this scenario. 

But I fear they won't.  In Western societies these days victim status gets you certain advantages, and I don't think we'll see gay rights groups give that up even if they get what they are demanding at the moment.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

viper37

Funny, I always pictured the gays as being from moderate to radical left-wing.  I guess the forum distorted my perception.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on September 14, 2011, 01:46:06 PMBut I fear they won't.  In Western societies these days victim status gets you certain advantages, and I don't think we'll see gay rights groups give that up even if they get what they are demanding at the moment.
I know.  Just look at American conservatives.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza on September 14, 2011, 12:04:55 PM
Not sure whether or not having kids would influence your political choices. It doesn't seem to be very related to being pro-market or not for example.

- more disposable income
- does not care about stuff like education costs
- does not care about tax breaks, social assistance etc. for parents (prefers lower taxes instead)
- more inclined to save money/put money into a personal pension fund
- less likely to support various "protect the children" initiatives

Zanza

Quote from: Martinus on September 14, 2011, 01:53:01 PM
- more disposable income
- does not care about tax breaks, social assistance etc. for parents (prefers lower taxes instead)
The characteristic you describe here is "childless", not necessarily "gay". I am not convinced that childless people generally have different political views than other people. It's possible, but I don't think my (current?) childlessness figures in my political decisions. I think a tax break for parents is a good policy regardless of whether I benefit from it or not.

However, your initial question was whether embracing gays would cost conservatives votes. Tax breaks to parents and "protect the children" initiatives are most certainly conservative policies, so giving those up to embrace gays would cost them dearly. The stuff you describe here is more like Euro-liberal or US-libertarian policies. The former certainly draws their strength from urban middle and upper classes, but I am not sure if childlessness figures much. As far as I know their constituency here is often self-employed well-earning people, regardless of whether they have children or not.

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 14, 2011, 01:47:49 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 14, 2011, 01:46:06 PMBut I fear they won't.  In Western societies these days victim status gets you certain advantages, and I don't think we'll see gay rights groups give that up even if they get what they are demanding at the moment.

:huh:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Zanza

Quote from: derspiess on September 14, 2011, 02:05:06 PM

Just think of all the whining about how the mainstream media is biased against them.

Warspite

Quote from: Martinus on September 14, 2011, 01:53:01 PM
Quote from: Zanza on September 14, 2011, 12:04:55 PM
Not sure whether or not having kids would influence your political choices. It doesn't seem to be very related to being pro-market or not for example.

- more disposable income
The thing is people develop their political conscience and preferences well before they have children or sometimes even realise that they are gay. In fact, unless a given party in a country is overtly hostile to homosexuality, then gay votes will be determined by the same factors as everyone else: namely upbringing, education, and the whole host of other intagibles. It's much how a lot of rather comfortably well off people genuinely believe the centre-left path is a better one, and a lot of poor people are drawn to the pro-business right wing.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Sheilbh

Quote from: Warspite on September 14, 2011, 02:18:26 PMThe thing is people develop their political conscience and preferences well before they have children or sometimes even realise that they are gay. In fact, unless a given party in a country is overtly hostile to homosexuality, then gay votes will be determined by the same factors as everyone else: namely upbringing, education, and the whole host of other intagibles. It's much how a lot of rather comfortably well off people genuinely believe the centre-left path is a better one, and a lot of poor people are drawn to the pro-business right wing.
Yeah.  I think Marty often projects his kind-of selfish (in the best possible sense) sort of classical liberalism onto gays as a whole.

It's worth saying that Cameron's pitch to the gays, before it sort-of fell apart, wasn't based on them not having kids but on being pro-family and including the gays in his definition of 'family'.  He said so explicitly more than once about how he wants the tax system to support people committing to each other whether gay or straight.  It was asking gays to vote conservatively.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Btw, I wonder, is the phenomenon here with gays being often kind of conservative on some social issues (such as abortion, or law and order) repeated in other countries, or is this Polish catholic self-loathing?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on September 14, 2011, 02:37:33 PM
Btw, I wonder, is the phenomenon here with gays being often kind of conservative on some social issues (such as abortion, or law and order) repeated in other countries, or is this Polish catholic self-loathing?
I'm pretty conservative on those issues :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 14, 2011, 02:39:34 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 14, 2011, 02:37:33 PM
I'm pretty conservative on those issues :P

Yeah but then you are a catholic. Catholic gays make for some of the better debate opponents of mine, admittedly. :P

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on September 14, 2011, 02:05:06 PM

Oh don't play coy.  You would think the entire educated establishment is out to destroy them.  There is always a war on this and an attack on that.   The Conservatives are always bemoaning what victims they are to the evil forces of whatever whatever.

Granted that is not all and hopefully not even a majority of Conservatives but you know what he is talking about.  Nobody whines about victimhood like Americans of all stripes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

I'm glad you said that Valmy, I was thinking it needed to be said but, as a whiney Brit, prevaricated...motes and beams and all that  :D

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on September 14, 2011, 11:02:39 AM
No, no, I mean if the GOP changed their position overnight, would it help or hurt them politically, in terms of votes.
Hurt them, of course.  Republicans have been pretty successful at appealing to people's intolerances to get them to vote against their interests.