Book Reading : Would you switch translation/language in the middle of a series?

Started by Grey Fox, September 11, 2011, 07:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 11, 2011, 07:35:28 PM
For the polyglotes of the board.

I'm currently reading Bobby Jordan's Wheel of Time. I've read the first 3 books in French(6 books in the translation) & I'm having the hardest of time finding Book 4 (7 & 8 in french). So, I'm considering switching to reading the English originals. It has the advantages of being much, much cheaper. Each French book retail for 15$, on Amazon.ca book 4-5-6 are 19$. However, I'm afraid I'll get lost in the level of english & sudden change of everything but the characters.

Would you do it? Would you switch from a translation to the original version?

I've done so for ASOIAF, I read the first three books in Spanish and the last two in English, as the translation for the fourth took more than a year to get done and couldn't be arsed to wait.

If you read well in the original language, do it. No big deal.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Iormlund on September 12, 2011, 07:01:05 AM
Don't think I would, but I've never had to. I've been reading mostly in English since one teacher lent me Dune almost 20 years ago. Only exceptions are books I've borrowed from someone.
:o You have betrayed España!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 12, 2011, 07:05:46 AM
Quote from: Iormlund on September 12, 2011, 07:01:05 AM
Don't think I would, but I've never had to. I've been reading mostly in English since one teacher lent me Dune almost 20 years ago. Only exceptions are books I've borrowed from someone.
:o You have betrayed España!

Now tell him that en espanol.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Iormlund

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 12, 2011, 08:39:34 AM
¡Usted ha traicionado a España!

Almost. :P

I actually watch most films and shows in English as well. From time to time I'll watch a Spanish film, but I never watch Spanish TV shows.
Also, for some reason I dislike almost every song sung in Spanish.

I guess I'm not high on nationalism. Plenty of those who are around these parts anyway.

The Larch

If that sentence had to be properly uttered the last word should be pronounced with a capital P.  :lol:

DontSayBanana

I'd do it; it'd mostly come up for Spanish, though- I haven't run into that problem with German.
Experience bij!

Slargos

I've switched twice. Both times were a marked improvement. With WoT I read the first 6-7 (which means first 3, since they were split in the translation) in Swedish, and with Kerr's Silver Dagger series it was much the same. Translations simply didn't keep a brisk enough pace. Ever since LotR I've simply detested reading translated works (Ohlmarks botched the translation pretty badly) and I avoid it like the plague.

viper37

I'm currently reading Bobby Jordan's Wheel of Time. I've read the first 3 books in French(6 books in the translation) & I'm having the hardest of time finding Book 4 (7 & 8 in french). So, I'm considering switching to reading the English originals. It has the advantages of being much, much cheaper. Each French book retail for 15$, on Amazon.ca book 4-5-6 are 19$. However, I'm afraid I'll get lost in the level of english & sudden change of everything but the characters.

Depends on the series.
I'd say try it.  Worst case scenario, sell the book back for 12$ on Amazon Marketplace and wait for the French translation.

I usually prefer reading in english for most stuff, but then again, I don't read much fiction books, and everything published for finance and economy is usually done in english first.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on September 12, 2011, 05:56:16 PM

Depends on the series.
I'd say try it.  Worst case scenario, sell the book back for 12$ on Amazon Marketplace and wait for the French translation.

I usually prefer reading in english for most stuff, but then again, I don't read much fiction books, and everything published for finance and economy is usually done in english first.

The problem isn't that the French Translation isn't done yet but the fact that it isn't in print anymore for the early books.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on September 13, 2011, 02:22:42 AM
Quote from: Siege on September 12, 2011, 06:52:11 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 12, 2011, 08:39:34 AM
Quote from: Iormlund on September 12, 2011, 08:12:26 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 12, 2011, 07:10:13 AM
Now tell him that en espanol.
:lol:
¡Usted ha traicionado España!

Retard, it is "¡Vos habeis traicionado España!"

Are you Argentinian or from the XVIth century?

And you still missed the last "a" in "a España".  :P

Moke like end of XV century I'd say  ;)