Book Reading : Would you switch translation/language in the middle of a series?

Started by Grey Fox, September 11, 2011, 07:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

For the polyglotes of the board.

I'm currently reading Bobby Jordan's Wheel of Time. I've read the first 3 books in French(6 books in the translation) & I'm having the hardest of time finding Book 4 (7 & 8 in french). So, I'm considering switching to reading the English originals. It has the advantages of being much, much cheaper. Each French book retail for 15$, on Amazon.ca book 4-5-6 are 19$. However, I'm afraid I'll get lost in the level of english & sudden change of everything but the characters.

Would you do it? Would you switch from a translation to the original version?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Siege

I have been reading exclusively in english for the last 15 years or so.
In my mind most of the time can't remember in what language I read a book.

It have not helped with my writting, though.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Ed Anger

If I could get a English translation of Davout le Terrible, I would. My French is horrible.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

It never came up. Last time I read an English-language series in Swedish translation was 25 years ago (it was LOTR). A couple years later I re-read it in English but that's not the same.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zoupa

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

Not that I can read books in `foreign` (well... I read a Wallander book in Swedish. With a fair bit of dictionary checking) but I`d 100% say go for the original language.
When people say they`ve read a certain foreign book I am impressed, I didn`t know they were so good in that language...but then they say no, it was the English translation- then you didn`t read that book did you?
You read some English writer`s take on the story, not the actual original.

As for switching....hmm....can`t be so different surely?
Just get a good guide before hand translating character, place and concept names and you`re set.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

I've switched once or twice (Danish to English). It's a bit weird at first, but I got over it (and didn't want to wait for the Danish translation to come out).

Oexmelin

Quote from: Zoupa on September 11, 2011, 09:07:48 PM
The real answer don't ever read the Wheel of Time.

Ever.

Never ever.

Who knows, maybe it is like some French dubbing, and translation actually improves the series ;)
Que le grand cric me croque !

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Ever.

Never ever.

I avoided that one like the plague.  From what I gather the series starts off briskly enough then just bogs down.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on September 11, 2011, 09:18:35 PM
Not that I can read books in `foreign` (well... I read a Wallander book in Swedish. With a fair bit of dictionary checking) but I`d 100% say go for the original language.
When people say they`ve read a certain foreign book I am impressed, I didn`t know they were so good in that language...but then they say no, it was the English translation- then you didn`t read that book did you?

Interesting theory.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 11, 2011, 11:00:12 PM

Ever.

Never ever.

Who knows, maybe it is like some French dubbing, and translation actually improves the series ;)

No, it's not really a good translation.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

jimmy olsen

Ever.

Never ever.
Different strokes for different folks, let him make his own decision.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Iormlund

Don't think I would, but I've never had to. I've been reading mostly in English since one teacher lent me Dune almost 20 years ago. Only exceptions are books I've borrowed from someone.