Do You Still Use Any College Freebie Toiletries?

Started by Admiral Yi, September 09, 2011, 08:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

First of all, do any of you ROTWers get this?  A small box of usually sample size toiletries, given free by the manufacturers in order to entice emerging brand loyalty, when you're an incoming freshman at university.

It struck me while I was shaving that I have been a life-long user of two items in the freebie box: Edge shaving gel and Speed Stick deoderant.  Aqua Velva, not so much.

Caliga

Fuck man, I can't remember what brands were in that stupid kit.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 09, 2011, 08:42:20 PM
First of all, do any of you ROTWers get this?  A small box of usually sample size toiletries, given free by the manufacturers in order to entice emerging brand loyalty, when you're an incoming freshman at university.

It struck me while I was shaving that I have been a life-long user of two items in the freebie box: Edge shaving gel and Speed Stick deoderant.  Aqua Velva, not so much.

They didn't give me that when I was in college.  I was shown the dorm washboard and given the chance to purchase a pumice stone.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on September 09, 2011, 08:46:53 PM
They didn't give me that when I was in college.  I was shown the dorm washboard and given the chance to purchase a pumice stone.

Harsh toke.

Caliga

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on September 09, 2011, 08:51:19 PM
Did your kit have rubbers in it?  Mine did. :cool:

No rubbers.  Maybe the Jesuits cleaned them out?

Grey Fox

I didn't get that no then again I didn't move to go to College.

I get all kind of shits by the mail that are baby related now tho.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

I was kind of surprised we got them in retrospect, since John Silber was such an old fashioned prude.

Sheilbh

Don't get.  You get loads of free shit in fresher's week but that's it.  The only things I remember were lighters, bread and teabags :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Capetan Mihali

:hmm:  I don't remember getting any freebie toiletries. 

But I did form some crucial brand loyalties during my undergraduate education. 

Noxzema shaving cream (the green one with aloe), the Gillette Sensor Excel razor (with two blades).  I came to college only a little past 17, not knowing how to shave. I had been surreptitiously using my dad's electric razor up until then.  Too neurotic for the classic "father teaching son to shave thing" I suppose.   :sleep:

Winston cigarettes.  Old Grandad whiskey.  Colgate toothpaste.  "all" laundry detergent.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

dps

Ideologue

I use women's shaving cream Korea left behind.  Waste not, want not.  It smells nice.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

No beginning of year box but lots of freebies all through uni.
██████
██████
██████

Grinning_Colossus

I recently used up a little thing of lip balm that I got at my orientation -- I kept losing it and re-discovering it under dressers, etc., which is why it took so long. There was no brand label, though. It was just blue with a picture of a bear on it. End of an era. :(
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

DontSayBanana

Off-campus living, probably going to continue living off-campus as a transfer student, so the question seems kinda moot for me. :P
Experience bij!