News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NFL 2011 Week 1

Started by Neil, September 08, 2011, 07:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

That's alot more work then I thought the job would be. Whats the pay?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 13, 2011, 12:07:18 PM
That's alot more work then I thought the job would be. Whats the pay?

It is a lot of work.  My brother and his #2 guy do okay salary-wise, but they're working 7-day, 60-70+ hour weeks during the season.  The other two positions pay a lot less, but at least they get paid overtime.  Those spots are often filled by guys who have been doing video at the university level and are in grad school-- sometimes it's used as an internship.  My brother can't pay them a whole lot, but he's usually able to place them in a more permanent role with either another NFL team or at a university if they do a decent enough job for him.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

This is crazy, it's just not worth it Peyton.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Indianapolis-Colts-Peyton-Manning-surgery-more-painful-speedier-recovery-091111

QuoteUpdated Sep 11, 2011 12:54 PM ET

Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning chose an aggressive, more painful surgical procedure to fuse the damaged cervical vertebrae in his neck, with the hope his recovery and return to football will be faster, FOXSports.com has learned.

The rare procedure involved taking a chunk of bone from Manning's hip to fuse the C2 the C3 vertebrae. The surgery is painful and invasive, so much so that most doctors choose a more conventional protocol that uses a cadaver bone to perform the fusion, doctors told FOXSports.com.

Manning's aggressive procedure, theoretically, could cut his recover time from six months or more to as little as six to eight weeks, several doctors told FOXSports.com.

Several doctors told FOXSports.com that 20 percent of post-surgical patients who use the hip bone for cervical fusion experience hip pain at the site of the bone extraction the rest of their lives. The cadaver disk procedure, however, likely would keep Manning sidelined the entire 2011 season.

The surgery — Manning's third neck procedure in 19 months — was performed Thursday by the Los Angeles-based father-son team of doctors Robert Watkins III and Robert Watkins IV of the Watkins Spine group in Marina Del Rey, Calif.

Manning, a four-time league Most Valuable Player, underwent surgery on May 23 at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago to repair a bulging disk in his neck. At that time, he was expected to have a six- to eight-week recovery period. But as Manning recovered, he continued to feel pain and weakness in his neck and upper back, as well as weakness in his triceps.

He did not make the trip to Houston on Sunday for the Colts' season opener against the Texans at Reliant Stadium, ending his streak of 227 consecutive starts (including the playoffs). Indianapolis lured Kerry Collins out of retirement, and he will become the first Colts quarterback other than Manning to start a game since 1997.

The questions surrounding Manning's recovery will be complicated by how quickly he pushes doctors to get him into football shape, and the reluctance of medical teams to allow the Colts star to lift weights or engage in rigorous exercise of any kind following such a radical surgery.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Not worth it at all.  Sit out the year, Peyton.

CountDeMoney

Sophie Scholl

Sports Illustrated still exists.  How quaint.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

For those still undecided:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

MadBurgerMaker

The Texans resigned David "String Dance" Anderson to give them five WRs and to help cover for Kevin Walter, who, instead of having a "broken shoulder," instead just has a bad bruise on the collarbone.  They cut DE Tim Bulman to make room for him. 

Neil

Quote from: dps on September 14, 2011, 07:42:47 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 13, 2011, 11:41:27 PM
Not worth it at all.  Sit out the year, Peyton.
Agree.
Yeah, it's not like he's a lineman, whose life expectancy is probably about 60.  Multimillionaire superstar QBs can expect to live into their 80s and up, so why cripple yourself with pain for all of that just to get back one season, especially when you've already been paid?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Terrell Suggs, AFC Defensive Player of the Week.  As if there were any doubt, except for maybe Ngata as a close runner-up.

Everyone else, who cares.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 14, 2011, 03:12:55 PM
Terrell Suggs, AFC Defensive Player of the Week.  As if there were any doubt, except for maybe Ngata as a close runner-up.

Everyone else, who cares.
Well, Reed had two picks, but I see your point that the Ravens were far and away the #1 D of Week 1.  Now they just have to shut Tennesee down.  They'll try and run, but it won't get them anywhere.  Everything will depend on the ability of Hasselbeck to pass to Britt without getting intercepted or sacked.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

I think Tennessee's the true test;  if they can go on the road against a rebuiding team after a big win and stay focused, that's the real test.  That's the game they should win 35-7, not against the Steelheads.

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on September 14, 2011, 04:21:33 PM
Well, Reed had two picks, but I see your point that the Ravens were far and away the #1 D of Week 1.  Now they just have to shut Tennesee down. 

I'm not sure what the final score will be, but I'm predicting a halftime score 6-3 in that game.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall