News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Ghost Cities of China

Started by jimmy olsen, September 08, 2011, 06:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Weird. It seems obvious this can't continue indefinitely and when the bubble bursts it'll be catastrophic. Why is China pursuing such a seemingly suicidal course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm7rOKT151Y
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Why would you think that China is smarter than America?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

The parallels with Japan really are quite stark, a huge part of Japan's growth was the construction industry. China seem to be trying to stave off following Japan's path by keeping their construction industry busy at all costs.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on September 09, 2011, 02:43:42 AM
The parallels with Japan really are quite stark, a huge part of Japan's growth was the construction industry. China seem to be trying to stave off following Japan's path by keeping their construction industry busy at all costs.
Which is the same as saying "trying to defer the costs indefinitely."  This won't end well.  It never has.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Alcibiades

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Alcibiades

Point still stands. 

edit....both of them.  ^_^
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Neil

I like it when people use 'homo' as a slur.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

HisMajestyBOB

This is going to crash as soon as I start a teaching job in China, isn't it?
Fuck <_<
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Drakken

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 09, 2011, 11:28:15 AM
This is: ineffective stimulus.

Buyers only a little "direct enticement" from the regime, and they'll buy.

Josquius

Quote from: grumbler on September 09, 2011, 08:20:21 AM
Quote from: Tyr on September 09, 2011, 02:43:42 AM
Which is the same as saying "trying to defer the costs indefinitely."  This won't end well.  It never has.
Even worse than that. With Japan at least the demand was real. With China its the government creating artificial demand whilst the people remain poor.;
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on September 09, 2011, 11:08:06 AM
This is going to crash as soon as I start a teaching job in China, isn't it?
Fuck <_<

Don't worry about that on your part. They'll still need English teachers after a crash as people try to improve their odds. Japan still has a healthy ESL industry too, so if you're looking at Japanese parallels you shouldn't worry.

Jacob

Quote from: Tyr on September 09, 2011, 01:51:08 PM
Even worse than that. With Japan at least the demand was real. With China its the government creating artificial demand whilst the people remain poor.;

What do you mean?