News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obama Jobs Plan

Started by MadImmortalMan, September 08, 2011, 03:07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Ed Anger

Fuck the young people. Worthless young people. Only good for slicing their wrists.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

I think it'll be interesting to look at the plan.  I turn over to find Congress interrupting and applauding :bleeding: :weep: <_<

I'm now back to non-news channels.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 08, 2011, 06:19:54 PM
Yep.  Spain had a surplus and a very low debt as % of GDP prior to the crisis.  There was talk of this being unsustainably based on a construction boom, property taxes (similar in Ireland) and a flood of cheap credit, but high government spending didn't sustain the Spain prior to the crisis.  Equally the Spanish, and Italian and Portuguese welfare states weren't terribly effective, or generous unless you're elderly.

So we're agreed then that Spain was running significant deficits post-crisis?
QuoteYeah, sorry on Portugal.  Their deficit was above the EU and the Portuguese average for most of the last decade - though again that was facilitated by very low bond yields.  So the markets didn't disagree for a very long time.

That's the point I was trying to make in the US thread.  Bond markets think your debt is sustainable until they don't.

MadImmortalMan

So far, I see in here:

1: A tax cut for hiring employees

2: An infrastructure bank

3: Repair schools

4: Tax credits for hiring veterans

5: $4000 tax credit for hiring someone who has been looking for work for longer than 6 months (interesting)

6: Keep the payroll tax cut

And this:
It will be paid for.  And here's how:

The agreement we passed in July will cut government spending by about $1 trillion over the next ten years.  It also charges this Congress to come up with an additional $1.5 trillion in savings by Christmas.  Tonight, I'm asking you to increase that amount so that it covers the full cost of the American Jobs Act.

Man, I doubt the superretardcongress will even be able to accomplish the original mission, Mr. President.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Siege

I'm watching the speech.

He is talking shit as always. A friggin demagogue.

Just because he wishes for more jobs, there are not going to be more jobs.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 08, 2011, 06:29:32 PM
So far, I see in here:

1: A tax cut for hiring employees

Tax cut for corporate fat cats.  :mad:

Quote2: An infrastructure bank

wtf?

Quote4: Tax credits for hiring veterans

5: $4000 tax credit for hiring someone who has been looking for work for longer than 6 months (interesting)

Tax cuts for corporate fat cats.  :mad:

Siege

I'm tired of this guy and his ideology.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 08, 2011, 06:29:21 PMSo we're agreed then that Spain was running significant deficits post-crisis?
Yes, but that's irrelevant to this:
QuoteSort of MIM.  Take the PIIGS as an example.  Their economies were previously inflated by unsustainable deficit spending.  When you remove that, the economy deflates.  Surprise, surprise.

QuoteThat's the point I was trying to make in the US thread.  Bond markets think your debt is sustainable until they don't.
The US isn't comparable with any of those countries though.  The key to their deficit, debt, bond crisis is the Euro.  The US doesn't have a Germany for the markets to focus on.
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Quote from: Habsburg on September 08, 2011, 03:37:14 PM
"-- it is fully paid for by closing corporate tax loopholes and asking the wealthiest Americans to pay their fair share"

This will go over like beer in Church with the Tea Baggers and many in the GOP.

INCOME REDISTIRBUTION!!!1!
Depends on what 'fair share' means.  I mean, I'm sure the Tea Party lunatics will whine and cry no matter what, but an increase in taxation would be good, especially if you structure it in a way that also gets money out of the middle class.

Still, if Obama's counting on a GOP House to pass a tax increase, he's going to be disappointed.  I have a hard time imagining circumstances where the GOP leadership could get a tax increase through, even if they were inclined to do so.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

I'll start paring down my workforce so I can hire some long term unemployed and get my tax credits.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Siege on September 08, 2011, 06:34:46 PM
I'm tired of this guy and his ideology.

He has an ideology?

In any case if you are tired of him don't watch his speeches.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 08, 2011, 06:35:24 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 08, 2011, 06:29:21 PMSo we're agreed then that Spain was running significant deficits post-crisis?
Yes, but that's irrelevant to this:
QuoteSort of MIM.  Take the PIIGS as an example.  Their economies were previously inflated by unsustainable deficit spending.  When you remove that, the economy deflates.  Surprise, surprise.

Irrelevant how?  The sustainability part?

QuoteThe US isn't comparable with any of those countries though.  The key to their deficit, debt, bond crisis is the Euro.  The US doesn't have a Germany for the markets to focus on.

No idea what you mean by this.

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 08, 2011, 06:38:18 PM
I'll start paring down my workforce so I can hire some long term unemployed and get my tax credits.
Yeah, I think that's an unintended consequence.  Still, at least unemployment amongst the unskilled will rotate a bit.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 08, 2011, 06:38:42 PM
Irrelevant how?  The sustainability part?
The Spanish economy wasn't inflated by unsustainable deficit spending and that isn't a part in why the economy deflated.  As I say, you're only describing Greece I think that acronym simplifies but also confuses very different situations that actually need different solutions.

QuoteNo idea what you mean by this.
The Italian, Portuguese and Spanish bond yield is still historically low compared to their national averages.  They got artificially low rates for much of the past decade because of the effects of the Euro.  The US hasn't experienced anything like that (though I wonder if municipalities and states within the US have?). 

Of course the Spanish (and Irish) are an exception, again, they had surpluses or balanced budgets and spent most of the past decade paying down their national debt.
Let's bomb Russia!