News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What scam was being run on me?

Started by alfred russel, September 08, 2011, 07:05:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

The best scams are the ones that exploit the greed of the victim. Although technically I am not sure if I would even qualify the "ring ploy" as a scam. There is no actual misrepresentation made by the scammer other than the claim he/she just found the ring - he/she is not claiming it is made of gold. Which makes the victim almost deserve to be cheated out of some money in a situation like this.

Martinus

Quote from: Brazen on September 08, 2011, 09:52:05 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 08, 2011, 08:51:38 AM
I never was robbed or pick-pocketed anywhere in Europe. Otoh, a colleague of mine got robbed at a knife point within 10 hours of arriving in NYC. :P
In all my years of living in London I only got pick-pocketed once - my iPod from the back pocket of a rucksack. However, within 30 minutes of arriving in Brussels, a pair of gypsy women feigning having problems getting a stroller onto the Metro nicked my passport and iPaq - remember those?!

Oh yeah I remember. I guess Warsaw/Krakow were safer than Brussels in this regard.

Warspite

Funnily enough, a "Bosnian" tried this trick on my girlfriend and I in Paris last year too.

Bad luck for the scammer when we both replied - in Bosnian.

He scarpered off rather quickly.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Valmy

Quote from: Warspite on September 08, 2011, 12:34:31 PM
Funnily enough, a "Bosnian" tried this trick on my girlfriend and I in Paris last year too.

So...he lied about being from Bosnia?  Is there some sort of advantage to being from Bosnia?  Why would you pretend to be from Bosnia?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on September 08, 2011, 12:35:47 PM
So...he lied about being from Bosnia?  Is there some sort of advantage to being from Bosnia?  Why would you pretend to be from Bosnia?

The obvious advantage is that Bosnians are not gypsies.

Warspite

Quote from: Valmy on September 08, 2011, 12:35:47 PM
Quote from: Warspite on September 08, 2011, 12:34:31 PM

Perhaps because it's a place people know and tend to have sympathy with its people? It puzzles me too. That said, there were a lot of "Bosnian" beggars back in the late 1990s panhandling their way around European capital cities, obviously trying for the refugee sympathy buck.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on September 08, 2011, 11:38:03 AM
Quote from: dps on September 08, 2011, 10:10:03 AM
Why would Marti remember them?  Are you accusing him of stealing them while he and a friend were disguised as gypsy women?

I presume because Brazen and Marty are personal friends and might talk about things that happen to them from time to time.

Heck she might have even been in Brussels to see him.

I had thought those referred to the iPaq
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on September 08, 2011, 01:08:03 PM

Right Marty might remember those things being stolen because Brazen might have brought it up in a conversation.  And, indeed, he does.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on September 08, 2011, 01:13:06 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 08, 2011, 01:08:03 PM

Right Marty might remember those things being stolen because Brazen might have brought it up in a conversation.  And, indeed, he does.

No I meant the actual device - as in that such a device existed.  I didn't remember that one existed - as I never knew about them. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Brazen on September 08, 2011, 09:52:05 AM
[iPaq - remember those?!

Still have my old one around somewhere.  Even got a little fold-up keyboard for it.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson