News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Suicide Drone

Started by Alcibiades, September 07, 2011, 09:10:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alcibiades

QuoteU.S. Army orders its first batch of suicide drones
Small size, quiet motors let aircraft find target, sneak in and deliver knockout blow

Soldiers who fly hand-launched drone scouts to spot enemies on the battlefield may soon get a deadly robotic device capable of also delivering a knockout blow. The U.S. Army has ordered its first batch of small suicide drones that are capable of launching from a small tube, loitering in the sky and then diving at a target upon command.
The backpack-size "Switchblade" drone and its launch tube give individual soldiers a new level of precise control over an explosive weapon. Rather than calling in supporting artillery fire or airstrikes, soldiers can simply launch the Switchblade from out of sight, confirm a target on a live video feed from the drone, and then command the robotic device to arm itself and fly into the target at high speed.

"The unique capabilities provided by the Switchblade agile munition for standoff engagement, accuracy and controlled effects make it an ideal weapon for today's fight and for U.S. military forces of the future," said Bill Nichols, deputy product director at the Army's Close Combat Weapons Systems project office.

Operators can even call off strikes at the last second after arming the Switchblade. That kind of control allows soldiers to retarget in case an enemy moves out of sight, or avoid collateral damage if a civilian wanders too close.
The drone, created by AeroVironment, is able to fly in both autonomous robot mode or as a remotely piloted air vehicle. Either way, its small size and quiet electric motor allow it to approach targets without warning. It can even switch off its motor and glide in for a stealthy attack
"Just as our small unmanned aircraft systems provide game-changing reconnaissance capabilities to ground forces, Switchblade provides a revolutionary rapid strike capability to protect our troops and give them a valuable new advantage on the battlefield," said Tom Herring, AeroVironment senior vice president and general manager of Unmanned Aircraft Systems.

AeroVironment received a $4.9 million contract from the Army's Close Combat Weapons Systems on June 29. The company publicly announced the deal on Sept. 1.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44412133/ns/technology_and_science-innovation/

Pretty neat.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Tamas

DGuller

Sometimes I think it's such a shame that we don't have any real wars going on.  It's like we have modern armor versus riflemen for every other civilization, and we just sit on our hands building stadiums and broadcast towers.

Grey Fox

That's pretty cool. Altho I hate the word suicide. It's a missille with camera & accurate control.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Brazen

How about this one, a German/Israeli tag team of surveillance drone and suicide drone?
QuoteA team from Rheinmetall Defence and Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) has successfully carried out contractor trials to test the reconnaissance and strike capabilities of two drones working in unison.       

WABEP, which in German stands for 'weapons system for standoff engagement of individual and point targets', consists of a Rheinmetall-made KZO unmanned reconnaissance air vehicle and a Harop attack drone from IAI.               

The KZO is designed to identify and trace a target while the Harop attack drone engages it, destroying itself in the process. During recent test flights, the Harop attack drone and the reconnaissance and wireless data transmission components in the Rheinmetall KZO system operated in networked mode, with the transmission components installed in a twin-engine Opale aircraft.               

The next step is a demonstration phase, currently underway in collaboration with German armed forces the Bundeswehr.

derspiess

So, it's pretty much a small low-speed guided cruise missile that can loiter for a while? 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Viking

what are they getting for the $4.9 million?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on September 07, 2011, 01:16:23 PM
So, it's pretty much a small low-speed guided cruise missile that can loiter for a while?

Doesn't have a ram jet.

It's a hobby radio controlled plane with a camera and a warhead.

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 07, 2011, 09:31:02 AM
That's pretty cool. Altho I hate the word suicide. It's a missille with camera & accurate control.
The "suicide" appellation is quite emo, I agree.  Pretty much every missile, bullet, artillery shell, etc is a "suicide" weapon.  The Walleye had a camera and was remotely guided to its target, but I never heard it referred to as a "'suicide" weapon.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on September 07, 2011, 01:36:55 PM
The "suicide" appellation is quite emo, I agree.  Pretty much every missile, bullet, artillery shell, etc is a "suicide" weapon.  The Walleye had a camera and was remotely guided to its target, but I never heard it referred to as a "'suicide" weapon.

It just needed more understanding. A little compassion, was that too much to ask? Now, it's too late.  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

And yet this is a suicide weapon. The only answer is that there is a little person pilot inside it. Let's hope he is a volunteer.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Brain on September 07, 2011, 01:46:55 PM
And yet this is a suicide weapon. The only answer is that there is a little person pilot inside it. Let's hope he is a volunteer.

Verne Troyer needs work.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Lucidor

Quote from: grumbler on September 07, 2011, 01:36:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_12E1EN6fs