News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What scam was being run on me?

Started by alfred russel, September 08, 2011, 07:05:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Also, one is more vulnerable as a tourist/visitor; the scammers know their business and a visitor will probably be carrying more cash, may be jetlagged and will certainly be easier to scam simply because they are concentrating on other things.......looking at the buildings in Paris for example.

I quite like this particular scam as, if one gives the chap a few euros for the ring, one is engaging in criminal activity. The correct response to the Bosnian is, of course, "Ah no, it's not mine either, I think we'd better find the nearest policeman and hand it in."

Ed Anger

I never got this shit either in France or Italy. The cow like Danes looked too stupid to attempt something and while in London, I had a CCTV camera installed by the gub'mint in my ass scanning behind me for hoodies.

I feel left out.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Richard Hakluyt

Maybe they took pity on your disabled condition  :hmm:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 08, 2011, 09:12:03 AM
Maybe they took pity on your disabled condition  :hmm:

That joke has also reached its sell by date.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

My guess would have been his friends then demand you pay for the ring you just bought from him.

I do wonder why he would admit to being Bosnian, hardly a reputable country is that.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

You may have a point, I will consign it to the dustbin of history.

The Brain

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 08, 2011, 09:33:14 AM
You may have a point, I will consign it to the dustbin of history.

I knew going through your trash would pay off some day.  :shifty:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Brazen

Quote from: Martinus on September 08, 2011, 08:51:38 AM
I never was robbed or pick-pocketed anywhere in Europe. Otoh, a colleague of mine got robbed at a knife point within 10 hours of arriving in NYC. :P
In all my years of living in London I only got pick-pocketed once - my iPod from the back pocket of a rucksack. However, within 30 minutes of arriving in Brussels, a pair of gypsy women feigning having problems getting a stroller onto the Metro nicked my passport and iPaq - remember those?!

dps

Quote from: Brazen on September 08, 2011, 09:52:05 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 08, 2011, 08:51:38 AM
I never was robbed or pick-pocketed anywhere in Europe. Otoh, a colleague of mine got robbed at a knife point within 10 hours of arriving in NYC. :P
In all my years of living in London I only got pick-pocketed once - my iPod from the back pocket of a rucksack. However, within 30 minutes of arriving in Brussels, a pair of gypsy women feigning having problems getting a stroller onto the Metro nicked my passport and iPaq - remember those?!

Why would Marti remember them?  Are you accusing him of stealing them while he and a friend were disguised as gypsy women?

alfred russel

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 08, 2011, 09:01:50 AM
Also, one is more vulnerable as a tourist/visitor; the scammers know their business and a visitor will probably be carrying more cash, may be jetlagged and will certainly be easier to scam simply because they are concentrating on other things.......looking at the buildings in Paris for example.

If I'm traveling someplace sketchy (not in Europe or the first world), I tend to carry just enough cash to do what I want for the day, and leave all my credit cards and other cash in the safe in the hotel. I travel with 2 ATM cards, and always keep at least 1 at all times in the safe. I probably look like a great theft target, but looks can be deceiving. Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't carry more cash just so if I do get robbed they won't be pissed off.

QuoteI quite like this particular scam as, if one gives the chap a few euros for the ring, one is engaging in criminal activity. The correct response to the Bosnian is, of course, "Ah no, it's not mine either, I think we'd better find the nearest policeman and hand it in."

I might have done that, had I known what was going on. I mean, I knew some sort of scam was going on, I just couldn't figure out how it was going to work.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Richard Hakluyt

I've been reading Chris Mullin's diaries (backbench Labour MP), I can't recall what page it is on but the identical scam was tried on him in London c.2007, it is clearly a common scam  :lol:

Trying to find the reference but the index is not being helpful  :mad:

KRonn

Interesting scam, good to know about. Never know, maybe I'll get hit up for the same thing some day.

So Alfred, what were you wearing that made you look so obviously touristy?  ;)

alfred russel

Quote from: KRonn on September 08, 2011, 11:14:59 AM
Interesting scam, good to know about. Never know, maybe I'll get hit up for the same thing some day.

So Alfred, what were you wearing that made you look so obviously touristy?  ;)

I don't think it was so much what I was wearing, but that I was wandering down the champs elysee while looking at a map.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: dps on September 08, 2011, 10:10:03 AM
Why would Marti remember them?  Are you accusing him of stealing them while he and a friend were disguised as gypsy women?

I presume because Brazen and Marty are personal friends and might talk about things that happen to them from time to time.

Heck she might have even been in Brussels to see him.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Strix

Quote from: alfred russel on September 08, 2011, 10:42:13 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 08, 2011, 09:01:50 AM

If I'm traveling someplace sketchy (not in Europe or the first world), I tend to carry just enough cash to do what I want for the day, and leave all my credit cards and other cash in the safe in the hotel. I travel with 2 ATM cards, and always keep at least 1 at all times in the safe. I probably look like a great theft target, but looks can be deceiving. Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't carry more cash just so if I do get robbed they won't be pissed off.

QuoteI quite like this particular scam as, if one gives the chap a few euros for the ring, one is engaging in criminal activity. The correct response to the Bosnian is, of course, "Ah no, it's not mine either, I think we'd better find the nearest policeman and hand it in."

I might have done that, had I known what was going on. I mean, I knew some sort of scam was going on, I just couldn't figure out how it was going to work.

They do that in Rochester. Most people carry a $20 behind their license so that they have something to give the robbers. If not they are likely to get stabbed or shot.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher