News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fed Reserves overstocked on the Coin Standard

Started by CountDeMoney, September 07, 2011, 06:19:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Another interesting fact about the dollar coins is that the Fed is storing more than a billion of them because of Congressional mandate.

Berkut

This is so stupid.

If you want people to start using dollar coins, then stop printing dollar bills.

Unless you do that, they won't ever start using the coins.

It is that simple.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on September 07, 2011, 02:47:29 PM
Another interesting fact about the dollar coins is that the Fed is storing more than a billion of them because of Congressional mandate.

They make 4 new ones every year, something to do with Presidents I think.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Malthus

Quote from: Berkut on September 07, 2011, 02:48:31 PM
This is so stupid.

If you want people to start using dollar coins, then stop printing dollar bills.

It is that simple.

It's what they did here. Seems to have worked okay - most people are pretty happy with 1 and $2 coins, rather than bills.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

And they should really get rid of a penny while they're at it.

mongers

Quote from: Berkut on September 07, 2011, 02:48:31 PM
This is so stupid.

It is that simple.

It's interesting just how conservative Americans are over certain things.  Alternatively one might see it as if it ain't broken don't fix it. 

From a government finance standpoint it doesn't make much sense to continue using expensive low value banknotes.

Though I do admit the equivalent UK pound coin is rather on the heavy side to have too many on ones person. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

HVC

Quote from: DGuller on September 07, 2011, 02:54:07 PM
better yet, make the penny the new dollar coin. instant stimulus package :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on September 07, 2011, 02:54:07 PM

I can imagine in a few more years the US penny is again worth more in its base metal scrap value than its face value.

DGuller

Apart from that, the basic problem is that it's more of garbage now than an actual legal tender, and that imposes costs of their own.  Who actually carries pennies with them anymore?  Everyone I know filters them out and puts them in a bottle or something of that nature.

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on September 07, 2011, 03:20:59 PM
Apart from that, the basic problem is that it's more of garbage now than an actual legal tender, and that imposes costs of their own.  Who actually carries pennies with them anymore?  Everyone I know filters them out and puts them in a bottle or something of that nature.

I'm guessing you've now reached the point in the US where you can't actually buy anything for just one cent ? 

IIRC that was the major reason for withdrawing our 1/2 penny a good few years ago, once you could buy haf'penny sweets so the coin had a use until those went up to 1p each.  Incidentally I'd guess those sort of traditional sweets/'penny chews' probably cost 2 or 4 pence each.  :hmm:

Habbaku

Quote from: mongers on September 07, 2011, 03:27:58 PM
IIRC that was the major reason for withdrawing our 1/2 penny a good few years ago, once you could buy haf'penny sweets so the coin had a use until those went up to 1p each.  Incidentally I'd guess those sort of traditional sweets/'penny chews' probably cost 2 or 4 pence each.  :hmm:

Yeah, those types of candies are usually a nickel these days.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

In Sweden the lowest coin is 1 SEK. Which is roughly 15 cents. We got rid of the 10 öre coin (a bit more than 1 cent) 20 years ago. The 50 öre last year IIRC.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

KRonn

I'm guessing you've now reached the point in the US where you can't actually buy anything for just one cent ? 

Pennies are still needed to make change in commerce, stores, etc.

Josquius

So...it seems to me that people are willing to use dollar coins but the system in place for distributing them is utterly retarded and requires people to go out of their way and order them over the internet.

Is there not a way to get them into regular circulation? Making post offices give change in dollar coins or the like?

The idea of a dollar note always struck me as a bit mad. Hell, the Swedish 20 sek note was daft enough. Even the UK 5 pound isn`t worth what it used to be even 10 years ago and we should be looking towards (properly) turning it into a coin.

QuotePennies are still needed to make change in commerce, stores, etc.
In several European countries IIRC they don`t have euro coins up to....5 cents? or was it 10 even? They just round to the nearest one they do have coins for.
Hell, even in Sweden I remember seeing things that cost 49.90 even though the only ore coin was the 50.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: KRonn on September 07, 2011, 06:43:43 PM

Pennies are still needed to make change in commerce, stores, etc.

Why?  We don't use mils anymore.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017