News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Red Orchestra 2

Started by FunkMonk, September 06, 2011, 08:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Starting a thread because I got tired of talking about it in the "What are you playing" thread.

This game is quite brilliant when you actually get a good team going. I just played about 30 minutes of TE_Grain Elevator (30v30) on the Axis side (The Germans are the attackers and I like to play the attacking side) with a solid team of players. Instead of camping along the gatehouse and getting pinned down outside Point B like people were when the map was first patched into the game most of the Germans actually advanced from cover to cover and through smoke screens into the Grain Elevator and started taking the building floor by floor in a very chaotic fashion. Thankfully the Russkie snipers didn't seem to be very good. There is some visceral satisfaction in using a bolt-action in this game... every kill feels like it's earned and that it wasn't just a fluke. In all, one of the better and just plain more fun games I've had.

Until the game crashed.   :P
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

LaCroix

heard there's a zoom these days for even bolt action rifles when iron-sighting. gone are the days of pixel hunting :(

FunkMonk

Quote from: LaCroix on September 06, 2011, 08:56:58 PM
heard there's a zoom these days for even bolt action rifles when iron-sighting. gone are the days of pixel hunting :(

Yeah that's true. And if you hold shift you zoom in a little more and hold your breath to steady your aim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 06, 2011, 08:38:25 PM
This game is quite brilliant when you actually get a good team going.

Two guys on comms in a pick-up server with a tank is positively brutal.
[/quote]

QuoteUntil the game crashed.   :P

Yeah, get used to that for another year or so.

Alcibiades

Pre-ordered, but didnt go with the deluxe or what ever.  Another week for me.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

LaCroix

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 06, 2011, 09:35:21 PMTwo guys on comms in a pick-up server with a tank is positively brutal.

oh, god, remember konigsplatz as ze germans? pub matches made me cry. WHY ARE YOU ALL RUNNING INTO MACHINE GUN FIRE? ..but when you jumped in the tiger, and had a reliable gunner/driver, you could make those gaddam T34 and IS2 pay. not like it mattered, because 9/10 of the time you still ran out of reinforcements with five minutes still left on the clock

Lettow77

K98 master race reporting in. Semiautomatics are for damnyankees and time travellers.

As it is, there are too many semiautomatics and submachine guns- they frequently make up over half a team's composition on "realism" mode. After the beta custom servers will get that in line, but the game should do so of its own accord.

All of my hopes in this and other areas are really reserved for Rising Storm, the pacific mod/expansion hybrid. Worryingly, however, they have confirmed it will not be possible to choose to spawn with a floppy IJA field cap, and that some faces will not have such. This is the game's greatest drawback, and why Rising Storm is less anticipated than Katawa Shoujo. 
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

CountDeMoney

I'm gonna thoroughly enjoy bayoneting you, Lettuce.

DONT TURN AROUND DER KOMMISSAR IS IN TOWN

Alcibiades

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

FunkMonk

There's a Vietnam War mod in the works too.

I may be induced into re-enacting my Battlefield Vietnam antics. :menace:

derspiess

Quote from: LaCroix on September 06, 2011, 11:43:06 PM
oh, god, remember konigsplatz as ze germans? pub matches made me cry. WHY ARE YOU ALL RUNNING INTO MACHINE GUN FIRE? ..but when you jumped in the tiger, and had a reliable gunner/driver, you could make those gaddam T34 and IS2 pay. not like it mattered, because 9/10 of the time you still ran out of reinforcements with five minutes still left on the clock

Good times :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Lettow77

Good luck with it, CdM. I really respect your efforts to buck the trend- typically elderly can't into FPS at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtzlKJ1dObU

(you are totally the guy in pink)
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Lettow77 on September 07, 2011, 01:31:17 PM
Good luck with it, CdM. I really respect your efforts to buck the trend- typically elderly can't into FPS at all.

What I lose in reaction time as a 40 year old to younger douchie gamers like you, I make up for in tricking out a CPU with my substantially more-than-yours disposable income.

What off-the-shelf HP Pavilion kit are you running, VISION QUEST TO THE BEST BUY

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

FunkMonk

I want to PPSh someone in the face.