In 140 characters or less, you can put yourself in a Mexican prison.

Started by jimmy olsen, September 04, 2011, 07:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

:wacko:

http://slatest.slate.com/posts/2011/09/04/teachers_tweets_may_mean_30_year_prison_sentence.html
QuoteIn 140 characters or less, you can put yourself in Mexican prison.

That's what happened to a math tutor and a former teacher, after prosecutors say their tweets about a supposed school shooting helped cause mass confusion and a number of car accidents as parents tried to rush to the scene and retrieve their children.

The Associated Press reports that a tutor Gilberto Martinez Vera repeated rumors of kidnappings at local schools in the city of Veracruz on Aug. 25, saying on twitter "My sister-in-law just called me all upset, they just kidnapped five children from the school."

"Here, there were 26 car accidents," Veracruz state interior secretary Gerardo Buganzaa told local reporters. "People left their cars in the middle of the streets to run and pick up their children, because they thought these things were occurring at their schools."

Authorities say that because of recent drug-related gun battles in the city and surrounding area, residents were on edge. Charges in the case claim the erroneous twitter messages from Vera and a former teacher, Maria de Jesus Bravo, caused such panic that emergency phone lines collapsed under the volume of people desperate to get to their kids.

The defendants in the case — which could be a landmark for charges brought against people using the social media — say they were repeating things they heard from others, not purposefully trying to mislead anyone. Amnesty International says that the case could violate freedom of expression and blames two people for a larger problem: the uncertainty many Mexicans feel day to day from a drug war that has killed some 35,000 in five years.

"How can they possibly do this to me, for re-tweeting a message?" Bravo stated through her defense attorney. "I mean, its 140 characters. It's not logical."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

It makes more sense to prosecute the parents, but I suppose prosecuting people who use social media is just.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

I can get a visit from the Secret Service with less characters then that. :rolleyes:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ideologue

There's no such thing as a landmark case in Mexico.  It will affect, at most, Mexicans.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)