T-62 armor beats anything we have, I know because I left the Rangers for armor

Started by CountDeMoney, August 30, 2011, 11:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on September 01, 2011, 05:31:41 PM
Quote from: grumbler on September 01, 2011, 04:32:33 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 01, 2011, 04:06:09 PM
grumbler's numerous rants aside, historical trivia like this is why I patronize Languish.
:lmfao:  Well, the personal attack won't work; they never have.  I'll keep posting anyway. 

All you do with cracks like that is poison the atmosphere of Languish and drive off those who are sensitive to random unpleasantness.

But we still haven't driven off Martinus, despite all our best efforts.  :huh:
I was trying to say that grumbler is a font of pleasant to learn facts too. :(
PDH!

DGuller

Speaking of Shermans, I came across the interview of a Soviet tank commander who was fighting in Shermans.  Surprisingly, he has a lot of good things to say about the tank.  http://www.battlefield.ru/en/memoirs/369-loza.html  He also has a book about it.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on September 03, 2011, 06:13:45 PM
Speaking of Shermans, I came across the interview of a Soviet tank commander who was fighting in Shermans.  Surprisingly, he has a lot of good things to say about the tank.  http://www.battlefield.ru/en/memoirs/369-loza.html  He also has a book about it.

Did he write the book before or after the Soviet Union fell?  I think I've read his interview before.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on September 03, 2011, 06:19:00 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 03, 2011, 06:13:45 PM

Did he write the book before or after the Soviet Union fell?  I think I've read his interview before.
After.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 03, 2011, 06:43:52 PM
Interesting article.

Yeah, one of things I found interesting was that the battalion mechanic was just some guy who once drove a tractor.  I've heard the skilled personnel were hard to come by in the early Soviet Union.  I wonder what that guys American or German or British counterpart would be.  The US had lots of pre-war cars and tractors so finding people who knew how to repair and maintain an engine would probably not be as difficult.  I wonder if the that guys American counterpart would be a mechanical engineer or something similar.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

I found it interesting that the dude focused so much on the drive train vs. the gun and armor.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 03, 2011, 07:07:47 PM
I found it interesting that the dude focused so much on the drive train vs. the gun and armor.

Gun and armor are more important to the war gaming crowd.  Not breaking down ever five miles is probably more important to the actual soldiers.

CountDeMoney

You guys ever want to read a fascinating war memoir on armor, read Death Traps: The Survival of an American Armored Division in World War II.

Not only appropriately critical of the Sherman's performance, but a fantastic look into the logistics of keeping those things running on the front.  Tank recovery was a motherfucker.  Anybody that's a critic of Patton would enjoy this book.  Very detailed but a fast read, and written by a sharp, no-nosense, rather humble lieutenant.

Probably one of the best wartime memoirs I've read.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 04, 2011, 12:06:30 AM
You guys ever want to read a fascinating war memoir on armor, read Death Traps: The Survival of an American Armored Division in World War II.

Not only appropriately critical of the Sherman's performance, but a fantastic look into the logistics of keeping those things running on the front.  Tank recovery was a motherfucker.  Anybody that's a critic of Patton would enjoy this book.  Very detailed but a fast read, and written by a sharp, no-nosense, rather humble lieutenant.

I've actually been meaning to read that one.  Is that the one where the guy calculates how much gas it would take for the whole division to advance 100 yards?  I'm actually reading a memoir from WWII.  "Enemy, North, South, East, West", about a forward observer at Mortain.  A lot of about artillery doctrines and such.

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 04, 2011, 12:06:30 AM

Patton was a pretty kick ass general, but he was pretty stupid when it came to armor and the realities of its use in late WW2. He really, really, REALLY wanted armor to be the cavalry of the day, and hence wanted his armor fast and lightly armored, so it could go run around in the rear areas destroying C3.

Most had figured out by late WW2 that that was a great idea in theory, but in reality armor had to win the breakthrough battle first. Patton never wanted to accept that.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

I may be a minority on this, but I think the Sherman was a pretty good tank.  It was easy to build, reasonably effective and reliable.  It displayed it's weakness in Normandy and Italy, but was quite impressive in the race across France and the invasion of Germany.  I'm not fully sold on the importance of Heavy Tanks.  They were good in tank duels and close combat, but less useful for the rapid advance.  It would seem the rapid advance into the enemy rear is the most important thing.  It did fit the doctrine wonderfully.  Unfortunately the doctrine was flawed.

Mr.Penguin

Quote from: Razgovory on September 04, 2011, 02:33:29 AM
I may be a minority on this, but I think the Sherman was a pretty good tank.  It was easy to build, reasonably effective and reliable.  It displayed it's weakness in Normandy and Italy, but was quite impressive in the race across France and the invasion of Germany.  I'm not fully sold on the importance of Heavy Tanks.  They were good in tank duels and close combat, but less useful for the rapid advance.  It would seem the rapid advance into the enemy rear is the most important thing.  It did fit the doctrine wonderfully.  Unfortunately the doctrine was flawed.

An easy to use reliable medium Tank is key to winning the war, not slow, expensive heavies...   
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

The Brain

Why is even a discussion of American tanks mostly about what the Shermans did and didn't do?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Mr.Penguin on September 04, 2011, 03:26:54 AM
An easy to use reliable medium Tank is key to winning the war, not slow, expensive heavies...

I would be inclined to say that air superiority was the key.  I think I read somewhere that all King Tigers destroyed on the western front were destroyed by air attack.  Zero by tanks, antitank guns, and infantry.