T-62 armor beats anything we have, I know because I left the Rangers for armor

Started by CountDeMoney, August 30, 2011, 11:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

The 76mm version of the M4 started production in February 1944.  Some of them were available to units in Normandy.

My point is that it appears that the 90mm gun used in the M36 could be fitted instead of the 76mm gun (and was, in fact, so fitted in the version of the M4 know as the M36B1) but this was not pursued due to inefficiencies in the US Army's bureaucracy.

Tanks with the 75mm gun could not be so retrofitted (though some were retrofitted to 76mm guns, but not very satisfactorily due to turret size issues).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Quote from: Siege on September 01, 2011, 09:58:54 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on September 01, 2011, 09:17:18 PM
Can someone enlighten me about what's wrong with leaving the rangers for armour?  :unsure:
I would say that going from Ranger to Armor is one big step back. Something no true infantryman would do.

Well put Siege.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

grumbler

Quote from: 11B4V on September 02, 2011, 02:05:53 PM
Quote from: Siege on September 01, 2011, 09:58:54 PM
I would say that going from Ranger to Armor is one big step back. Something no true infantryman would do.

Well put Siege.
Indeed.  I haven't seen the "No true Scotsman" fallacy so nakedly espoused in ages.  Most people know better.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I'd rather be in the tank.  You get to sit down while you fight.  Also, bullets aren't as likely to hurt you.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

I'd rather be in a trailer in the States flying a drone. Get fancy ribbon for 'flying' missions. Get medal at Chucky Cheese after mission.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Siege

Quote from: The Brain on September 02, 2011, 12:46:04 PM
yi has a 76mm gun

Faggot, use your right hand to grasp the small of the stock and hold it against the right side of your waist. The butt of the stock will extend to the rear of your buttox. Use your left arm. Slightly bent at the elbow. Grasp the weapon just below the swing swivel using your left hand. Turn the weapon so the magazine well is facing down. Raise the bayonet to throat level. Place your feet together as done for the position of attention at a halt.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Quote from: Razgovory on September 02, 2011, 06:05:41 PM
I'd rather be in the tank.  You get to sit down while you fight.  Also, bullets aren't as likely to hurt you.

That's the whole point. With the kind of wars we are fighting these days tank crewmen don't do much.
Why would I submit my life to live under military discipline, working endless hours, no overtime, etc, if I am not going to get the oportunity to make a diference and wack the enemy?

Said that, 19 Kilos when they deploy have to go out and patrol in Hummvees. Yeah, they don't get the real bad AOs, but still.
You know, 19 Kilos have a saying: "I don't carry my weapon, my weapon carries me". To that I say "Fuck no, I carry my fucking weapon!"

Gotta go. Shabbat coming up.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on September 02, 2011, 07:02:04 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 02, 2011, 06:05:41 PM

That's the whole point. With the kind of wars we are fighting these days tank crewmen don't do much.
Why would I submit my life to live under military discipline, working endless hours, no overtime, etc, if I am not going to get the oportunity to make a diference and wack the enemy?

Said that, 19 Kilos when they deploy have to go out and patrol in Hummvees. Yeah, they don't get the real bad AOs, but still.
You know, 19 Kilos have a saying: "I don't carry my weapon, my weapon carries me". To that I say "Fuck no, I carry my fucking weapon!"

Gotta go. Shabbat coming up.

Do they get air conditioning?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Mr.Penguin

Quote from: grumbler on September 02, 2011, 12:40:52 PM
The 76mm version of the M4 started production in February 1944.  Some of them were available to units in Normandy.

The M4 shermans with the 76mm gun avaliable in Normandy was of the early type, with one copula turrets and the cut down version of the 76mm gun, the barrel length was reduced with 15 inches (38cm), neutered version of the 76mm gun...   

Quote from: grumbler on September 02, 2011, 12:40:52 PMMy point is that it appears that the 90mm gun used in the M36 could be fitted instead of the 76mm gun (and was, in fact, so fitted in the version of the M4 know as the M36B1) but this was not pursued due to inefficiencies in the US Army's bureaucracy.

The M36B1 GMC was a M4A3 hull with the open top turret of the M36 GMC, build as a stop gab measure from October 1944 due to the urgent need for 90mm armed TD's. So the M36B1 is still an open top TD, little different from the standard M36 GMC, apart the better protected hull...

The key to having M4 Shermans armed with the 90mm gun early on, is the T-23 turret and whether or not the 90mm gun could be fitted in it. The T-23 turret was as mentioned earlier from the T-23 medium Tank project, a project that was cleared for limited production in May 1943. So quite early on do we have a turret, for the m4 Sherman, that might be able fit the 90mm or at least a cut down version of it...

In short is it about politics and Lesley McNair's constant resistance against the need for a better Tank gun than the 75mm...
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

The Brain

Quote from: Siege on September 02, 2011, 06:51:18 PM
Quote from: The Brain on September 02, 2011, 12:46:04 PM
yi has a 76mm gun

Faggot, use your right hand to grasp the small of the stock and hold it against the right side of your waist. The butt of the stock will extend to the rear of your buttox. Use your left arm. Slightly bent at the elbow. Grasp the weapon just below the swing swivel using your left hand. Turn the weapon so the magazine well is facing down. Raise the bayonet to throat level. Place your feet together as done for the position of attention at a halt.

OK. Now what?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.