Multiple question marks in e-mail correspondence

Started by Martinus, August 29, 2011, 06:11:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

I got an email two weeks ago with the subject line "You are fired!!!!!!!"

Best day of my life.  Bitch owes me $5700, and the judge wouldn't let me withdraw until after the trial.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on August 30, 2011, 12:49:15 PM
I avoid exclamation marks like the plague, but rarely the multiple question marks has been employed for emphasis.   It's easily overused, but effective in moderation.

Same with using ALL CAPS.

YOUR VIEW WILL CHANGE WHEN YOU HAVE TO GIVE THE SAME DIRECTION TO SOMEONE REPETITIVELY!!!!!

grumbler

Quote from: Zanza on August 30, 2011, 12:49:33 PM
Quote from: grumbler on August 30, 2011, 12:47:10 PM
In informal correspondence like email, multiple punctuation marks (? or !) at the end of sentences has become quite normal in the twenty-first century, as a away of increasing the intensity of the meaning.  I expect that when Poland gets to the twenty-first century, Polacks will start to realize that such punctuation under those circumstances is normal as well.  Until then, we can at least be amused at their ignorance and backwardness.  :cool:
I would prefer to stay backwards in that aspect then.
There's no ignorance like willful ignorance.  :cool:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Depends entirely on the level of formality and relationship with the receiver of the email.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

I don't think I've ever seen grumbler use multiple exclamation points or question marks in a Languish post.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 30, 2011, 04:52:11 PM
I don't think I've ever seen grumbler use multiple exclamation points or question marks in a Languish post.  :hmm:
I don't use them.  That doesn't mean I don't know what they mean, nor why others use them.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ideologue

TURKEY TROTS TO WATER GG FROM CINCPAC ACTION COM THIRD FLEET INFO COMINCH CTF SEVENTY-SEVEN X WHERE IS RPT WHERE IS TASK FORCE THIRTY FOUR RR THE WORLD WONDERS??
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)