Multiple question marks in e-mail correspondence

Started by Martinus, August 29, 2011, 06:11:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habsburg

Little smilie faces are the current rage for several people in my intra company e-mails

MadImmortalMan

I avoid emotive language or signals of any kind in emails. Too easy to misunderstand on the part of the reader.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

I dot my i's with little hearts in my work emails.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Those ?? are really asscheeks presenting, Marty.  Obviously a hint.  Surprised you didn't know that.

Monoriu

The only time I see people using more than one question mark is when a boss lectures someone over email.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Martinus on August 29, 2011, 06:11:32 AM
Is there anyone out there who considers it acceptable to add multiple question marks (e.g. "What time will you be arriving??") at the end of a question in written correspondence, other than to denote the author's annoyance, displeasure or extreme surprise about the question?

I am asking because I have found it once or twice in e-mails where the author was not acting annoyed or aggressive otherwise (or it apparently wasn't the author's intention).

Are these people retarded or am I not aware of some convention?

You note annoyance, displeasure, or extremen surprise.  There is another element, that being eagerness for an answer to said question is very important to them (possibly without containing annoyance, displeasure or surprise).

Though the "???" phenomenon, or any other punctuation either, I mostly notice coming from women.

Richard Hakluyt

Yeah, I would regard it as girly and infantile. The sort of thing that those dreadful "bubbly" people the British tabloids like talking about would do.

Putting that piece of grumpiness to one side though; if it came from a mature male client I would assume that he was doing it for emphasis (and also that his mother weaned him too young).

Martinus

He is a male in his late 40s or early 50s, who is a partner in a lawfirm that we subcontract a part of the project to (in another jurisdiction). He is also a British expat.

Richard Hakluyt

Hmmm, well I'm British and in my 50s and keep business e-mails rather formal, writing them as if they were letters. Of course this fellow probably writes a 100 to my 1 and therefore might have moved with the times more  :hmm:

grumbler

In informal correspondence like email, multiple punctuation marks (? or !) at the end of sentences has become quite normal in the twenty-first century, as a away of increasing the intensity of the meaning.  I expect that when Poland gets to the twenty-first century, Polacks will start to realize that such punctuation under those circumstances is normal as well.  Until then, we can at least be amused at their ignorance and backwardness.  :cool:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on August 30, 2011, 12:47:10 PM
In informal correspondence like email, multiple punctuation marks (? or !) at the end of sentences has become quite normal in the twenty-first century, as a away of increasing the intensity of the meaning.  I expect that when Poland gets to the twenty-first century, Polacks will start to realize that such punctuation under those circumstances is normal as well.  Until then, we can at least be amused at their ignorance and backwardness.  :cool:

Do you teach children with that brain?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

I avoid exclamation marks like the plague, but rarely the multiple question marks has been employed for emphasis.   It's easily overused, but effective in moderation.

Same with using ALL CAPS.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zanza

I would prefer to stay backwards in that aspect then.