12 (26.7%)
No!
33 (73.3%)
I'm stupid and have no opinion
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on August 26, 2011, 03:46:32 PM
If Wiki is correct affirmative action is only legal in Sweden regarding male/female and only when hiring people.

So you can fire all the men immediately afterwards?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on August 26, 2011, 03:51:44 PM
Quote from: The Brain on August 26, 2011, 03:46:32 PM
If Wiki is correct affirmative action is only legal in Sweden regarding male/female and only when hiring people.

So you can fire all the men immediately afterwards?

I'm not sure what you're after.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on August 26, 2011, 03:53:47 PM

I was just thinking about how I would run "Swedish Bikini Models Inc."
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on August 26, 2011, 03:55:11 PM
Quote from: The Brain on August 26, 2011, 03:53:47 PM

I was just thinking about how I would run "Swedish Bikini Models Inc."

You could hire a bunch of hot young women. Too simple for the American?

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on August 26, 2011, 03:58:20 PM

Oh I thought affirmative action applied to male/female whenever you hired people.

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on August 26, 2011, 04:00:03 PM
Quote from: The Brain on August 26, 2011, 03:58:20 PM

Oh I thought affirmative action applied to male/female whenever you hired people.

No, it's legal. Not mandatory.

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 26, 2011, 02:12:47 PM
I think in the UK if two candidates are more or less equal in all other respects you can positively discriminate on grounds of things like race, age, sex, disability and the like.  I'm broadly supportive of that.
I am, as well, because there are tangible benefits from having a more diverse workforce, student body, etc.  There is no place for quotas, though, because they automatically cheapen the efforts of whomever benefits from them and are unfair to the person who loses the slot because of them.

Again, this poll isn't about affirmative action at all.  It is about quotas.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on August 26, 2011, 03:12:16 PM
There are always quotas, whether explicitly stated or not.  If someone determines there are not enough people from whatever "disadvantaged" group represented in a company, university, etc. then there must be some % or number at which they would be satisfied that there are enough.
There are always quotas in the mind of someone, but who cares?  Affirmative Action isn't about keeping everyone happy.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

dps

Quote from: grumbler on August 26, 2011, 04:20:47 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 26, 2011, 03:12:16 PM
There are always quotas, whether explicitly stated or not.  If someone determines there are not enough people from whatever "disadvantaged" group represented in a company, university, etc. then there must be some % or number at which they would be satisfied that there are enough.
There are always quotas in the mind of someone, but who cares?  Affirmative Action isn't about keeping everyone happy.

The problem is, that's often the way affirmative action programs are administered--as de facto quota systems.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 26, 2011, 03:27:01 PM
I don't get anything out of it.

They really ought to start having schools save a couple football scholarships for Asians.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: dps on August 26, 2011, 04:43:49 PM
The problem is, that's often the way affirmative action programs are administered--as de facto quota systems.
Yes, and the non-affirmative-action policies are often administered as de facto racist or sexist systems, but in both quota and racist/sexist cases such are generally illegal.  There have been any number of cases establishing this.  My old alma mater, Michigan, lost one such de facto quota case in the USSC just a coupla years ago, while simultaneously winning another which allowed discrimination in favor of diversity where the candidates were otherwise equally qualified.

Bayraktar!

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 26, 2011, 04:50:17 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 26, 2011, 03:27:01 PM
I don't get anything out of it.

They really ought to start having schools save a couple football scholarships for Asians.
They'll all be taken by Samoans, and Yi will still lose his chance to be that star QB.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Ideologue on August 26, 2011, 04:56:33 PM
I like it.
What attracts you to quotas?  The arbitrariness of them, or the injustice of them?  :lol:

Bayraktar!

Ideologue

Quote from: grumbler on August 26, 2011, 04:59:09 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 26, 2011, 04:56:33 PM
I like it.
What attracts you to quotas?  The arbitrariness of them, or the injustice of them?  :lol:

Are you attracted to legs or to a face?  It's all part of the same beautiful anthropomorphized statist solution I love.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)