Should there just be one language in the world?

Started by jimmy olsen, August 25, 2011, 02:19:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should there just be one language in the world?

Yes, it would promote economic growth, science and peace
16 (40%)
No, it would cause mass cultural genocide
24 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 40

The Larch

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on August 27, 2011, 02:21:37 AM
Mono is just being himself.  There are plenty of advantages available to a foreigner who speaks Mandarin.

I was talking about this with a friend of mine recently. He told me that in his field (engineering) lots of companies with projects in China are demanding candidates to be able to speak Chinese because they've had bad experiences with local contractors and partners and don't want to be at their mercy.

Ideologue

Quote from: The Larch on August 29, 2011, 07:56:34 AM
Mono is just being himself.  There are plenty of advantages available to a foreigner who speaks Mandarin.

I was talking about this with a friend of mine recently. He told me that in his field (engineering) lots of companies with projects in China are demanding candidates to be able to speak Chinese because they've had bad experiences with local contractors and partners and don't want to be at their mercy.

Easier solution is not to do business with kleptocrats.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Larch

Quote from: Ideologue on August 29, 2011, 08:03:03 AM
Quote from: The Larch on August 29, 2011, 07:56:34 AM

Easier solution is not to do business with kleptocrats.

Easier said than done, I guess.

BVN

Quote from: viper37 on August 26, 2011, 12:40:43 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 26, 2011, 12:18:36 PM
Occitan (Langue d'Oc) is actually closer to Latin than Parisian/Langue d'Oïl/Francien i.e all forebears of current Standard French.
Duly noted, sir!

As for speaking French in Flanders as a Frenchman, it's possible as long as you're a French tourist wanting to buy a waffle or something.  ;)
Ah ok, it's only for Belgians :)
I remember a newspiece where the reporter had to stress they were Canadians to get the people to speak French.  Otherwise, they spoke only Dutch.  And if a Belgian TV crew approached them, they were switching to Dutch.

I call BS. Most Flemings will be happy to talk to you in another language, be it English, French, German or any other language they happen to know. There are of course people in Flanders who don't know how to speak French and there is perhaps a minority who refuse to speak French, but in general Flemings are helpful even to French-speaking people.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 26, 2011, 08:17:26 PM
:hmm:

http://www.realclearworld.com/2011/08/26/decline_and_fall_of_the_french_language_127031.html

QuoteThe Decline and Fall of the French Language?
by Gary Girod 08/25/2011

Not at all surprising that aspiring states would try to speak the language of global capital or that aspiring Eurovision singers would want to sing the language of global capital.

But the French language has already carved out a legacy that will never be forgotten.  The language of the neoliberal values that the Anglosphere impresses upon the world is derived straight from the 18th century French, and one might venture say that the global language is English with a distinctly French accent...
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

viper37

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on August 28, 2011, 02:03:50 PM
probably a walloon/Bruxellois? they lie when it comes to Flanders. Or rather: they project their own pathologies on the flemish as if we'd just be like them. We're better though as we haven't taken away a single right of the francophones. Unlike what they did (and do still). Just search for the term "Nolsloketten" (Nols being an FDF-mayor in Brussels a few decades ago -but the mentaily is still very much alive- and "loketten" being counters like in the post-office or so)
I'm not goint to discuss Belgian politics, it tends to end badly with both sides hating me :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: BVN on August 29, 2011, 08:09:56 AM
Quote from: viper37 on August 26, 2011, 12:40:43 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 26, 2011, 12:18:36 PM
Occitan (Langue d'Oc) is actually closer to Latin than Parisian/Langue d'Oïl/Francien i.e all forebears of current Standard French.
Duly noted, sir!

As for speaking French in Flanders as a Frenchman, it's possible as long as you're a French tourist wanting to buy a waffle or something.  ;)
Ah ok, it's only for Belgians :)
I remember a newspiece where the reporter had to stress they were Canadians to get the people to speak French.  Otherwise, they spoke only Dutch.  And if a Belgian TV crew approached them, they were switching to Dutch.

I call BS. Most Flemings will be happy to talk to you in another language, be it English, French, German or any other language they happen to know. There are of course people in Flanders who don't know how to speak French and there is perhaps a minority who refuse to speak French, but in general Flemings are helpful even to French-speaking people.
can't say I had problems myself, but that was in 1990.  And we didn't go that deep in Flanders (Ghent was the fartherst North, IIRC).  I just heard Flemings were a tad annoyed at French speakers with the recent political events.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

http://www.realclearworld.com/2011/08/26/decline_and_fall_of_the_french_language_127031.html

There's a huge, renewed interest for French in Vermont.  It helps them to cope with the bad US economy by being nice to Quebec's tourists.
Prediction from the Organisation Internationale de la Francophonie, talksof going from 200 millions speakers to 500 millions by 2050.
Certainly, French is not as popular as it was.  English is the dominant language for now, no doubt about it.  But it's still far from a dying language.

Zoupa

Quote from: viper37 on August 29, 2011, 03:45:11 PM

There's a huge, renewed interest for French in Vermont.  It helps them to cope with the bad US economy by being nice to Quebec's tourists.
Prediction from the Organisation Internationale de la Francophonie, talksof going from 200 millions speakers to 500 millions by 2050.
Certainly, French is not as popular as it was.  English is the dominant language for now, no doubt about it.  But it's still far from a dying language.

The number of francophones worldwide has doubled in the last 20 years. I'm not sure how that qualifies french as "declining and falling". I guess journalists need to write copy and make pay *shrugs*

The Brain

Talking to non-native English speakers is so fucking boring. You have to shelve your jokes and clever references.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Zoupa on August 29, 2011, 04:01:11 PM
The number of francophones worldwide has doubled in the last 20 years. I'm not sure how that qualifies french as "declining and falling". I guess journalists need to write copy and make pay *shrugs*

So French is successful because West Africans have lots of babies?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

If there was only one language in the world, Timmay would still be there, fucking it all up.

Neil

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 29, 2011, 05:41:03 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on August 29, 2011, 04:01:11 PM
So French is successful because West Africans have lots of babies?  :hmm:
No, French is successful because it is spoken in France, which is one of the major industrialized economies.  I couldn't care less how many mudpeople in Africa speak the language, or even about an isolated, semi-assimilated pocket of francophones in North America.  France alone is enough, just as Germany and Austria alone is enough for German.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 29, 2011, 06:57:20 PM
If there was only one language in the world, Timmay would still be there, fucking it all up.

SACKRE BLUE!!!!!!!!!!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 29, 2011, 07:17:55 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 29, 2011, 06:57:20 PM

SACKRE BLUE!!!!!!!!!!

JACK CUSE!  ABSOLUMENT EPOUVANTABLE!!!!!1111uneune
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)