News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hurricane Irene

Started by jimmy olsen, August 24, 2011, 09:30:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Well, that was a useless 18 hour overnight shift in the Incident Command Center.  Most overrated Cat 1 cane in Maryland EVAH.

Berkut

It is kind of windy here.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

I live right on the edge of the Hudson, and this has been quite a yawner so far.  From my window, I saw a pier getting partially submerged earlier this morning, but the water has receeded since then.  However, other parts of Jersey City are reported to be flooded, and I don't feel like venturing out to confirm that for myself.

lustindarkness

I'm glad Irene continues to take it easy on you guys up north. Like when it passed PR, it rained a lot, some power outages, not much else. Mom lost some fruit and a whole banana plant  :lol:. And the outside cat was inside.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Darth Wagtaros

Some downed trees and pwoer lines around here. I understand there are wide scale power outages elsewhere about Mass and NH.  But its not really doing anything.
PDH!

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 28, 2011, 10:07:11 AM
Well, that was a useless 18 hour overnight shift in the Incident Command Center.  Most overrated Cat 1 cane in Maryland EVAH.
They paying you, right. Or is that voluteer work?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on August 28, 2011, 12:48:24 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 28, 2011, 10:07:11 AM
They paying you, right. Or is that voluteer work?

Every now and then, I have to kind of justify the salary.

Martinus

KRonn

In eastern Massachusetts, south Boston, we had heavy winds and rain. Rain has slowed but winds are still heavy. Not too bad. Just lots of small branches and tree leaves down on the lawn. I lost power for about two hours.

I have a good sized veggie garden out back. Some of my remaining corn stalks were blown over, but I had already harvested most of the corn over the last couple of weeks. Got one nice corn cob off one of the downed stalks though. Some minor damage on the tomato plants, and my pole beans seem to be mostly ok. I do have two thick rows of bushes on three sides of the garden, so they must be giving some wind break to the garden.

DGuller

The good news is that it seems like I will win a $20 bet with a co-worker.  :) The bad news is that I bet that we would be coming to work on Monday.  :(

garbon

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 28, 2011, 12:21:26 PM
Some downed trees and pwoer lines around here. I understand there are wide scale power outages elsewhere about Mass and NH.  But its not really doing anything.

I heard that some of the outages might last a week or more. Yay for efficiency.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: DGuller on August 28, 2011, 03:18:57 PM
The good news is that it seems like I will win a $20 bet with a co-worker.  :) The bad news is that I bet that we would be coming to work on Monday.  :(
I was hoping not to have to, though the more realistic, cynical side of me said nothing even remotely bad would happen.
PDH!

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: garbon on August 28, 2011, 03:20:57 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 28, 2011, 12:21:26 PM

I heard that some of the outages might last a week or more. Yay for efficiency.
Damn.  That's some serious shit. 
PDH!

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on August 28, 2011, 03:18:57 PM

I wonder when the MTA will be functioning again.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.