News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hurricane Irene

Started by jimmy olsen, August 24, 2011, 09:30:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rasputin

:lol:
i say to new england and lower manhattan...why do dumb yankees insist on building on the water when they live in a hurricane zone?

seriously irene is a hurricane in name only ...hell i went through franklyn in a 30 ft boat

andrew, hugo, katrina, charley, wilma, ivan...now those were real hurricanes
Who is John Galt?

MadImmortalMan

I used to sleep in a paper bag in a septic tank!
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Store was crazy. Nearly all the bread was gone.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HisMajestyBOB

Stocked up on tuna, pb&j, bread, beer and chunky soups. I'm now well-prepared for the upcoming power outage.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

DGuller

Stocked up on coke, beef jerky, and cereal bars.  Everything was out of stock by the time I started freaking out.

Ed Anger

Sound better prepared that a woman I saw on CNN who was prepared with a flashlight, 2 cans of tuna and a bottle of water. New Yorkers.   :rolleyes:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Oh yeah, that's right.  The hurricane might be weak, but the antiquated East Coast power grid will collapse like a house of cards.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

I work in a disaster recovery hot site bunker.  We have three separate generators, shower facilities and a satellite phone system.  Not sweating it.

Habsburg

This will turn into another Anderson Cooper bedwetting/handwringing fest.

I hope.  :(

Neil

I can only hope that Anderson Cooper is washed out to sea.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Habsburg

Quote from: Neil on August 26, 2011, 11:21:00 PM

Don't mix up Anderson with Piers Morgan.

Anderson has his uses. :drool:

DGuller

I really wish that one day, one of those reporters whose only job is to stand in the wind and be buffeted by it, would catch a street sign right between the eyes, on live TV.

Neil

Quote from: Habsburg on August 26, 2011, 11:23:34 PM
Quote from: Neil on August 26, 2011, 11:21:00 PM
Don't mix up Anderson with Piers Morgan.

Anderson has his uses. :drool:
No he doesn't.  He's as wretched as that Soledad O'Brian.

CountDeMoney

Really, people? Really?

QuoteThere's where the batteries used to be
Stores can't keep batteries in stock as people prepare for Irene

John Minutella rushed through the doors of Ace Hardware in Waverly on Friday evening, his shirt dampened with sweat and face flushed red.

"Please tell me you have batteries and flashlights," he pleaded to anyone who would listen. "Please tell me yes."

The response: blank stares. Then a salesman, Anthony Williams, spoke up, looking toward an empty shelf. "I can tell you where they used to be."

As people crowded stores across the Baltimore region looking for storm necessities in preparation for Hurricane Irene, the demand for batteries reached a fever pitch and seemed to outpace the clamoring for bread and bottled water. Store managers and shoppers said the larger C and D batteries were the first to sell out as people feared the possibility of days without power and nights, with the only light coming from flashlights that had been buried in drawers and closets.

Minutella persisted with no avail: "Don't you have any in the back?"

Battery company Duracell announced Friday that it planned to ship 12 truckloads of batteries to East Coast distribution centers for Home Depot, Lowe's and CVS so those chains could restock their shelves. A spokeswoman for the battery maker said she didn't know how many would make it into Maryland stores.

Meanwhile, shares of Energizer Holdings Inc., which commands nearly 40 percent of the U.S. battery market, rose nearly 2 percent Friday, sparked by an expected spike in sales in advance of Hurricane Irene, according to analysts. Energizer also makes flashlights.

By Friday morning, the buying frenzy had already begun. Many store shelves were bare where batteries were once displayed.

"D-batteries are like gold now," said Mike Stevens, the manager of Stevens Hardware in Annapolis, where the store was nearly wiped clean of large batteries, flashlights, tarps, duct tape, lamp oil and wicks by lunchtime.

Mickey Fried, the owner of Belle Hardware in Bolton Hill, wished he had ordered more. His supply of batteries sold out by 10 a.m., an hour after the store opened.

"It has been kind of frantic in here," he said.

The Waverly Ace Hardware had a few AAA-sized batteries left on the shelves by rush hour Friday. Flashlights and batteries were the most popular storm items, said owner John Elliott.

Shopper Talesa Waller got the last pack of C batteries at about 6 p.m. She had a huge grin on her face as she grabbed the batteries. She had searched Giant Food and some other stores and was close to giving up.

"It's my lucky day," she said.

Minutella said he had been to 20 stores by the time he reached Ace Hardware about 6:30 p.m. Giant Food, Radio Shack, Rite Aid. No batteries — or flashlights to put them in — anywhere.

The salesman Williams had one last possibility for Minutella. A head lamp like the ones workers wear in coal mines.

Minutella examined it a while, threw his hands up in the air and bought it, along with three packs of AAA batteries.

"Is this what I've been reduced to?" he asked in defeat. "A headlight and AAA batteries."