Main Menu

Hurricane Irene

Started by jimmy olsen, August 24, 2011, 09:30:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

KRonn

Quote from: DGuller on August 24, 2011, 11:47:20 AM
I hope it doesn't hit Northeast.  That area is still recovering from the devastating earthquake.

Yeah, it'll be a double whammy of hits!   ;)

grumbler

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on August 24, 2011, 11:42:09 PM
It's still not clear what we'll get here in VA. Right now it's looking like just rain and some light winds, if even that. Depends on where it falls into the "cone of probability".
Hopefully it won't be like Isabel and it's week-long power outage. I will be disappointed if we get absolutely nothing, however.

And someday, I hope to go through a hurricane. Preferably just a 1 or 2.
Shoulda been around in 2003.  Isabel had 70mph winds even up here in the Piedmont.  Lots of trees down.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

I was amused by the tiny, wee first aid kit CNN was using as an example to use in your OH MY GOD WE ARE GOING TO DIE emergency kit. You might be able to patch up 2 boo-boos with it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Berkut

I have Spongebob SquarePants band-aids, so I am all set.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

KRonn

I may need to bring in more water and snack foods into my back yard bunker. After clearing out the supermarket shelves of stuff.   :cool:

MadImmortalMan

I hope it kills the cast of Jersey Shore.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

jimmy olsen

Looks like it could hit NYC.  :(

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/204041/20110825/hurricane-irene-new-york-new-york-city-manhattan.htm

QuoteHurricane Irene New York: Economic Damage Could Be Huge

By Elvira Veksler | August 25, 2011 6:42 PM EDT

Category 3 Hurricane Irene is gaining momentum and seemingly heading right for the city that never sleeps, and the potential exists -- in addition to risks to human life -- for major damage to New York's dwellings/infrastructure and economy.

Due to regional geography, hurricanes in New York City — though infrequent — can do far more damage than hurricanes of similar strength in the southern United States. With sustained winds of 74 mph or greater, hurricanes can flatten buildings, topple trees and turn loose objects into deadly projectiles. Along with torrential rains, storm surge is among a hurricane's most hazardous features. A major hurricane could push more than 30 feet of storm surge into some parts of New York City.

Get summaries of the top business news from a global perspective Sample

According to the Wall Street Journal, Irene's economic impact could be catastrophic.

As of Thursday at 6 p.m. EDT, North Carolina, New Jersey, Virginia, and Maryland hah already declared states of emergency as the storm approached the East Coast. Mandatory mass evacuations are underway in sensitive coastal areas.

The storm is expected to make landfall in North Carolina Saturday afternoon. Irene is then expected to climb up the Eastern Seaboard, where New York City, a city that many experts argue is not adequately prepared for a natural disaster, waits for it.

Officials expect the hurricane to reach New York by Sunday at mid-day, perhaps earlier.

Irene: Massive Economic Loss Possible

The Wall Street Journal called the hurricane an "economic worst-case scenario." The Wall Street Journal also cited a study by Munich Re which said that at least $100 billion in insured losses from an East Coast hurricane could ravage an already unstable economy. This figure, he added, does not include loss of productivity or loss of human life.   

What's more, because New York City is extremely densely populated (you've seen the borderline-line scary roommate situations), the impact of a major hurricane, economic and human, could be devastating. A hurricane capable of 100 mph winds could raise the level of New York Harbor by 10 to 15 feet, ravaging neighborhoods, drowning subways in saltwater, and taking down power lines.

The most likely tri-state area landfall -- New York, New Jersey, Connecticut -- location seems to be somewhere on Long Island, N.Y. which border the city to the east. Energy prices will be negatively affected due to "demand destruction," an economic term that describes a permanent downward shift in the demand curve. Energy prices will plunge as producers stand around looking at their excess supply.

According the Wall Street Journal, it is extremely unlikely that Hurricane Irene will be the second coming of Hurricane Earl which evaded the East Coast. The first, worst-case scenario is likely, Princeton University said.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

I look forward to Kanye West talking about how Barack Obama doesn't care about black people.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

HisMajestyBOB

It looks like it will go over North Carolina, Virginia, and New Jersey first, which should weaken it to a Cat 1 or TS and greatly reduce the storm surge. NYC should be fine, unfortunately.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Caliga

It looks like Rehoboth Beach, Lewes, and Cape May are going to get their asses kicked. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

HisMajestyBOB

We just lost power for a few hours due to a severe thunderstorm unrelated to the hurricane. When Irene goes through, it's probably going to be a repeat of Isabel and we'll be without power for a few days to a week.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Ed Anger

Maybe Irene can thin out the hipster population in NY.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Hipsters are already too thin.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Anybody in the affected areas plan to evacuate?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.