News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Earthquake?? In my Virginia?

Started by HisMajestyBOB, August 23, 2011, 12:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

CNN can be a parody of itself at times. :P
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ideologue

Do you think stuff like this might piss off shittier countries?  If I were them I would hate us for our tectonic stability and building codes.

Anyway, was I supposed to have felt something in South Carolina?  I was asleep.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

grumbler

The epicenter was just 25 miles south of here.  I was in a grocery store.  The store now smells like a BBQ restaurant from all the broken bottles of BBQ sauce and cheap wine!   :lol:  They closed for about 20 minutes to sweep up and whatnot. 

At home, I lost a couple of jewel cases from a stack of CDs that toppled to the floor.   :cry:

Still, it was interesting.  The first quake I had really felt since I lived out in California.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Were you scared? :o Did you think of 9/11? :o

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Ideologue on August 23, 2011, 02:25:00 PM
Do you think stuff like this might piss off shittier countries?  If I were them I would hate us for our tectonic stability and building codes.

Anyway, was I supposed to have felt something in South Carolina?  I was asleep.

It seems like it was mostly felt to the north, even as far as Toronto and New York. I guess the geography prevented it from being felt very far south.

QuoteStill, it was interesting.  The first quake I had really felt since I lived out in California.
Yeah, definitely interesting. I'm a little surprised at how little damage there was, given how old some buildings here are. I'll have to see what's happened in downtown Fredericksburg.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on August 23, 2011, 01:39:35 PM
People on the 5th floor of our building felt it, and people on the 15th floor really felt it (and are still freaking out about it apparently). 

On the 48th floor I felt a little swaying, kind of like when there are very brisk winds.  That was it.  Nothing fell over, which is nice b/c I have three bottles of Roederer in here.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on August 23, 2011, 02:48:11 PM
Were you scared? :o Did you think of 9/11? :o
I wasn't scared, but I did get out of the aisles post-haste.  Didn't for a moment think of 9/11.  I did hearken back to the time I watched a tornado pass on the other side of the (huge) parking lot of this same Giant about 5 years ago.

For the first thirty seconds or so, I was sure the noise and shaking was coming from the AC unit on the roof of the store.  Then the ground started shaking noticeably, and I knew it was an earthquake, of all things. 

The thought did briefly cross my mind that the Lake Anna Nuclear Power plant was 40 miles south of where I was.  I knew intellectually that this couldn't be anything to do with the plant, but that didn't stop me from wondering, just for a few seconds, if I shouldn't be watching the southern horizon for the tall man of smoke who wears a wide hat.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 23, 2011, 03:34:33 PM
People on the 5th floor of our building felt it, and people on the 15th floor really felt it (and are still freaking out about it apparently). 

On the 48th floor I felt a little swaying, kind of like when there are very brisk winds.  That was it.  Nothing fell over, which is nice b/c I have three bottles of Roederer in here.

Do you find yourself swaying a lot in your office?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on August 23, 2011, 03:44:28 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 23, 2011, 03:34:33 PM

Do you find yourself swaying a lot in your office?
:lol:

Ideologue

As much as I love looking at tall buildings, man do I hate being in tall buildings.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Malthus

I was on the 52nd floor of the TD Tower in a fancy-dancy restaurant (Canoe) after my big client meeting. Didn't feel a thing. The smoke alarm went off and we had to evacuate - I was worried we'd have to march down all 52 floors, but the elevators went back on when we were on the 38th floor, so it wasn't so bad.

No idea if the smoke alarm had anything to do with the earthquake, though it happened at exactly the same time. The clients joked about the combination of (alleged) disasters encountered in our city ... 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on August 23, 2011, 04:02:19 PM
As much as I love looking at tall buildings, man do I hate being in tall buildings.

Safest place to be in an earthquake.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Martinus

Ideologue

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 23, 2011, 04:25:48 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 23, 2011, 04:02:19 PM

Safest place to be in an earthquake.

How about an open field? :P

But yeah, it's not just earthquakes.  The swaying from the wind or even just looking out windows would freak me out.
Kinemalogue

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on August 23, 2011, 05:32:38 PM
The swaying from the wind

What's the tallest building you've been in? :huh: