0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 23, 2011, 05:34:37 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 23, 2011, 05:32:38 PM
The swaying from the wind

What's the tallest building you've been in? :huh:

That's not relevant.  I can imagine it would scare me. :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadImmortalMan

I'm with Ide on that one. I've been up in some pretty high buildings, and it always makes me a bit nervous. Especially if I'm on an observation deck outside. I hate going over suspension bridges, and you can just fucking forget about gondolas. In fact, the more it feels like swinging from a string, the worse it is.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

HVC

The only time heights freak me out are on grated walking bridges. Don't like seeing the ground under my feet.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Caliga

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 23, 2011, 06:02:30 PM
I'm with Ide on that one. I've been up in some pretty high buildings, and it always makes me a bit nervous. Especially if I'm on an observation deck outside. I hate going over suspension bridges, and you can just fucking forget about gondolas. In fact, the more it feels like swinging from a string, the worse it is.
Might want to avoid the Sears Tower's observation deck thingy then. :)

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Caliga on August 23, 2011, 06:21:51 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 23, 2011, 06:02:30 PM
Might want to avoid the Sears Tower's observation deck thingy then. :)

I've been there!

...Stayed behind the glass. That shit was windy and I didn't want to fly away.  :lol:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on August 23, 2011, 06:21:01 PM
The only time heights freak me out are on grated walking bridges. Don't like seeing the ground under my feet.

Amen.  The Chesapeake Bay Bridge is an absolute nightmare.  Whenever I crossed I let someone else drive and cowered on the floor.

Josephus

Quote from: HVC on August 23, 2011, 06:21:01 PM

Yeah...anything that's open like that. I can go up to the CN Tower and look out. As long as I'm enclosed, ti's not a problem. But I hate being up high and in the open. The scariest part of a roller coaster ride for me is the line up, where you're normally waiting for a long time on an open metal stairway.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

i actually have to make out the ground. i went on the CN tower glass floor thing a couple of times and i was fine because the ground was so far away.

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Caliga

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 23, 2011, 06:24:10 PM
I've been there!

...Stayed behind the glass. That shit was windy and I didn't want to fly away.  :lol:
I'm talking about the little bridge thing up there that's built out of glass where you can literally walk out from the side of the tower, kind of like the one they installed at the Grand Canyon a few years back.

MadImmortalMan

Caliga

:D I liked it.  I think I might be the opposite of afraid of heights (acrophiliac?)

The first time I flew in a plane I was like "Whee!  This is awesome!  It's like I'm in the HBO commercial, only there's no laser light show inside the 'O' at the end of the flight.  :( "

derspiess

I was talking to one of the security guys in our building & apparently the company that occupies our 14th floor evacuated the building and regrouped where they're supposed to go for fire drills: across the street under a huge interstate overpass :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

In Cincinnati? :wacko:

OTOH some of my Louisville FB people actually claimed to feel the quake... :hmm:  I definitely did not (and I've been through three, so I know what a quake feels like).

Tonitrus

I remember being afraid of heights when I was younger.  Though three years ago, while moving up to Alaska, I did the Angel's Landing hike in Zion NP...there is a nice section where you're walking across a little sandstone "fin" connecting the "mainland" to the butte/island that is Angel's Landing.  For about 20-30 feet, you're basically on a 2-3 foot wide walkway with about a 700+ feet sheer cliff on one side, maybe 1300+ feet on the other (and a nice little chain to hold on to for comfort).  A conscious respect for mortality, sure, but no fear.