News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Tales From Speaker's Corner

Started by mongers, August 22, 2011, 05:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Looks like I might be spending more time attending Speaker's Corner when I'm up in London, so I thought I'd start an occasional thread on the subject.

Last Sunday I popped into London, partially to meet some friends at Speaker's Corner, do my bit/gig and to try and find someone.

I was looking for a homeless friend of mine, well really an acquaintance, who only goes by the name of 'Friend' but is well known in the 'community'; no ones seen him for 6-7 months, I had a couple of leads but now that traditional meeting places are largely gone ie under the bridges at Waterloo people are more dispersed. So I didn't really get anywhere, though next time I'll send more time and trying using the web to see if I can find anything first.

The guys an interesting character, because on the face of it, if you were from a conventional background and judged a book by its cover, you'd just dismiss him as a old hippy. You might even still have that opinion after talking with him for 5 minutes, you might say he's just someone who took a lot of acid and never really came back.
But listen a bit more, don't make any assumptions about him and what's surprising is a lot off what he says makes sense, in that it originates from a particular viewpoint or philosophy, you might not agree with it, but I think what he represents is a genuine, internally coherent, development of the 60's love and peace mantra. Maybe he's a guru, but doesn't know it !

I like going to the place because you meet all sorts of characters, the lonely, the slightly mad, the curious, migrants and immigrants from all over the world. And of course plenty of tourists.

The nicest encounter I had this time was with a pair of American grandparents, they were over in the UK taking their 11-12 year old grandson on a special holiday; the deal was to get the holiday, he had to research and plan all of the activities. Which is why they ended up at speaker's corner, one of the top things he wanted to do was speak there, he'd even bought his own 'soap box' for the occasion, he was quite a small lad for his age and the first subject he chose was the role of 'sports' in American life. He did rather well, I bowled him a slightly softball question about might 'sport's be regarded as the new opium of the masses and he came right back with good reply. 

Talking to them later it was unusual just how both clued up about the world this young lad was and he had a real enthusiasm for the wider issues; I think I might have met a future senior US political figure !
I impressed upon his grand parents just how gift the lad was, as compared to most of the speakers here, and didn't once mention Languish !

The people I most enjoy talking/debating with are the refugees, this time I found out a bit about the personal histories of a couple of the marxists I sometimes chat with, one is an Iraqi communist, who's had the most extra ordinary life, as you can image with recent history, but it's hard to convey here.

This time I was mainly speaking about climate change, but from the perspective of planetary physics, generally had a good reception and some of the follow discussions were engaging and fun. But what I found odds was several people said they found it odd that someone should be talking about science at a place like speakers corner.
And I guess they've got a point, there's a scientist/physicist who is sometimes there to talk about the big bang, but other than that most of the speakers tend to fall into the religious evangelist camp or are people trolling* on the theme of the clash of civilisations between Islam and Christianity. Indeed as the day wears on these groups tend to dominate the area.

Other than that you have muslim preachers, who mainly seem to engage with fellow muslims, so sometimes its hard for Westerners to get in and mix it up.
Additionally there's a long standing Marxist speaker, who is well respected by the community there. Plus a couple of noteworthy speakers are comedians who originated in the early days of the 'alternative comedy' circuit and their acts are well worth catching. But that's largely the measure of the place.

Most of the rest of the speakers are slightly mentally unbalance, myself not excluded.  :P

Actually the people who do some occasional speaking, are often the best value for money, on Sunday there was one guy whose main platform was that feminism was responsible for most social ills including the recent riots. But clearly this guy was in no way bitter about any particular personal incidents, it just came over as that.

* I say trolling because, you get these intense American/Northern Irish or newly converted christians who intensely preach the gospel and since debate isn't an option with these people, you get Westernised muslims just trolling the crap out of them. It's highly amusing and one of the best is this very amusing Moroccan guy, though you have to be there to appreciate it.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

What are the unofficial rules mongers?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: mongers on August 22, 2011, 05:35:37 PM

The guys an interesting character, because on the face of it, if you were from a conventional background and judged a book by its cover, you'd just dismiss him as a old hippy. You might even still have that opinion after talking with him for 5 minutes, you might say he's just someone who took a lot of acid and never really came back.
But listen a bit more, don't make any assumptions about him and what's surprising is a lot off what he says makes sense, in that it originates from a particular viewpoint or philosophy, you might not agree with it, but I think what he represents is a genuine, internally coherent, development of the 60's love and peace mantra. Maybe he's a guru, but doesn't know it !

Projection.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

I caught a pretty wacky preacher from Jamaica in Trafalgar Square once. He had his kids there playing various instruments and things. I bet that guy does it too.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 22, 2011, 05:44:41 PM
What are the unofficial rules mongers?

None that I know off, though weirdly I got into a bit of a 'discussion' with a support of some 'Ian Paisley' type Northern Irish evangelical preacher who was holding forth, and this guy was insisting that you couldn't interrupt the 'speaker', mine and others opinions were different.   :rolleyes:

mongers

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 22, 2011, 05:44:57 PM

Projection.

Nope, definitely not, I've know more than my fair share of hippies down the years, and more often than not, just as many are dodgy untrustworthy characters as the rest of us/what you'd expect in the wider public. This guy is genuinely interesting, because what he says has an internal consistency to it, which as you'd imagine is rare for a place like that.

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on August 22, 2011, 05:50:27 PM
this guy was insisting that you couldn't interrupt the 'speaker', mine and others opinions were different.   :rolleyes:

But that is half the fun!

I would love to be able to head down the speaker's corner every now and then.

You should get a video of the next time you hold forth.

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 22, 2011, 05:55:53 PM
Quote from: mongers on August 22, 2011, 05:50:27 PM
this guy was insisting that you couldn't interrupt the 'speaker', mine and others opinions were different.   :rolleyes:

But that is half the fun!

I would love to be able to head down the speaker's corner every now and then.

You should get a video of the next time you hold forth.

Yes, it's nice and fun, but I think setting out to make a video of yourself is definitely a vanity project; if I ever have anything worthwhile to speak about and it's coherently presented, then maybe a spectator will video it.

What I'm really interested in is helping to continue the tradition, some truly great people have spoken there in the past, so you could say doing it is a bit like an act of 'political observance' on a Sunday.  Though I'm actively trying to encourage others to go there and speak.

CountDeMoney

* I say trolling because, you get these intense American/Northern Irish or newly converted christians who intensely preach the gospel and since debate isn't an option with these people, you get Westernised muslims just trolling the crap out of them. It's highly amusing and one of the best is this very amusing Moroccan guy, though you have to be there to appreciate it.

Once again, mongers takes no time showing which way his colors fly, insha'allah.

LaCroix

the self-proclaimed hippies i've known have all been horrible people, with a single exception. lying, thieving, selfish bunch who get hooked on the worst sort of drugs and feel the need to identify to an ugly culture. one of them, a friend of an ex roommate, stole $20 from me. she now has her second child, spermed from an unknown father while she went on a cheating binge in detroit screwing a guy a night. she's also a carrier of herpes

mongers

Quote from: LaCroix on August 22, 2011, 07:38:04 PM
the self-proclaimed hippies i've known have all been horrible people, with a single exception. lying, thieving, selfish bunch who get hooked on the worst sort of drugs and feel the need to identify to an ugly culture. one of them, a friend of an ex roommate, stole $20 from me. she now has her second child, spermed from an unknown father while she went on a cheating binge in detroit screwing a guy a night. she's also a carrier of herpes

Good job you weren't talking about an ethnicity.  ;)

LaCroix

Quote from: mongers on August 22, 2011, 07:43:51 PM

well, except for a half-injun chick, they've all been white trash. really, they're just idiots born in the 80s who act like they know the 60s. or who have no real idea about that era and just call themselves hippies because they think it's cool. they say "peace and love," and all that, but their actions speak very different volumes

mongers

Quote from: LaCroix on August 22, 2011, 07:51:05 PM
Quote from: mongers on August 22, 2011, 07:43:51 PM

well, except for a half-injun chick, they've all been white trash. really, they're just idiots born in the 80s who act like they know the 60s. or who have no real idea about that era and just call themselves hippies because they think it's cool. they say "peace and love," and all that, but their actions speak very different volumes

And what does any of this have to do with my friend ?

LaCroix

Quote from: mongers on August 22, 2011, 07:52:04 PMAnd what does any of this have to do with my friend ?

i never said anything about your friend. i just commented on the hippies i know, the modern generation and how the 60s created a movement that has decayed over the years, with the latest recruits consisting of rotten individuals--though i'm sure there were quite of those back in the day  ;)

mongers

Quote from: LaCroix on August 23, 2011, 12:15:43 AM
Quote from: mongers on August 22, 2011, 07:52:04 PMAnd what does any of this have to do with my friend ?

i never said anything about your friend. i just commented on the hippies i know, the modern generation and how the 60s created a movement that has decayed over the years, with the latest recruits consisting of rotten individuals--though i'm sure there were quite of those back in the day  ;)

So why bring it up at all ?

Seems like you just wanted to rant about people you have a beef with, which has nothing to do with the subject of my thread.