News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

This then or that

Started by Grallon, August 21, 2011, 10:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

You can give your life meaning on virtually any organizing principle that you choose.  The trick I think is to associate yourself with enough people who validate that organizing principle.  For some organizing principles like money, status, fame, or power it's not that hard.

The Brain

Quote from: Grallon on August 21, 2011, 10:13:27 PM
I contend that human life has very little value - unless it be dedicated to something greater than itself.  And by this I do not mean one's own progeny or the accrual of one's personal wealth.

Discuss.

G.

Value to whom?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Grallon on August 21, 2011, 10:13:27 PM
I contend that human life has very little value - unless it be dedicated to something greater than itself.  And by this I do not mean one's own progeny or the accrual of one's personal wealth.

So what are these things that exist that are greater than human life?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on August 22, 2011, 01:32:37 AM
I'm led to believe people enjoy being parents (although I fail to see why it would be enjoyable).

It's hilarious
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 22, 2011, 01:53:42 AM
You can give your life meaning on virtually any organizing principle that you choose.  The trick I think is to associate yourself with enough people who validate that organizing principle.

We had no idea you're really a high school girl.   Queen Bee = Queen Yi  :hmm:

Valmy

Meaning is an entirely human concept so trying to find meaning outside of humanity strikes me as absurd.

Life means whatever meaning you choose to give it.  Might as well create a good one for yourself.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

The purpose of life is enjoying oneself and not hurting other people too much.

I see you have been reading Epicurus.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on August 22, 2011, 08:09:17 AM
The purpose of life is enjoying oneself and not hurting other people too much.

I see you have been reading Epicurus.

Epicurus never said shit about not hurting other people too much unless it turned them on.

LaCroix

lots of grallon's philosophies sound like something an angst ridden 15 year old would think. maybe he never grew up, and that's why he fucks 15 year olds?

Grallon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 22, 2011, 03:38:45 AM

So what are these things that exist that are greater than human life?

Institutions mostly - the one type of human creation that spans the centuries - that informs several generations.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Neil

Quote from: LaCroix on August 22, 2011, 07:55:57 PM
lots of grallon's philosophies sound like something an angst ridden 15 year old would think. maybe he never grew up, and that's why he fucks 15 year olds?
Immaturity is a homo trait.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grallon

You shouldn't confuse me for Martinus. :P

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

dps

I don't really care if my life has any meaning or not.  I believe it does, but if not, I enjoy myself and if that's not good enough for anybody here, get over yourselves.

garbon

Quote from: Grallon on August 22, 2011, 08:25:06 PM
You shouldn't confuse me for Martinus. :P

G.

Both you and Mart make a strong case for Neil's assertion. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

Life can certainly be a load of shit and I am not too enamoured of it myself. On the other hand, making the best of it is both beneficial to oneself and the people around you.