News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Car Thread

Started by Malthus, August 19, 2011, 11:15:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

No, I was just under impression that Japanese cars are not top-sellers in Europe, and that brands like VW and Renault are the shit there.

Barrister

We actually bought a brand new '11 Rav4 over the weekend for my wife.  Seems like a nice vehicle.  It was ultimately her choice, but I'm secretly glad she went Japanese ratehr than get another North American vehicle.  Her old vehicle was a 2 dr Chevy Blazer, which was not only hellaciously difficult to get the baby in and out of the back seat, but was constantly needing repairs, and rattled more than the baby's rattles.

I drive a '05 Toyota Tacoma, 4 dr, 4x4.  I love my truck. :wub:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Still in my 1998 Camaro.  Waiting to see a 2012 before changing.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on August 19, 2011, 12:41:17 PM
We actually bought a brand new '11 Rav4 over the weekend for my wife.  Seems like a nice vehicle.  It was ultimately her choice, but I'm secretly glad she went Japanese ratehr than get another North American vehicle.  Her old vehicle was a 2 dr Chevy Blazer, which was not only hellaciously difficult to get the baby in and out of the back seat, but was constantly needing repairs, and rattled more than the baby's rattles.

I drive a '05 Toyota Tacoma, 4 dr, 4x4.  I love my truck. :wub:

Heh, we were looking at the Rav4 too. They are certainly popular here - you see 'em everywhere. Similar class to the Forester.

One feature I didn't like about the Rav4 is the spare tyre on the back. It's the sort of thing I'd worry about backing into things with.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

I think my wife liked that - it made it feel more like a truck to her.

In any event, the Blazer also had a tire on the back, but it was way, way more awkward to deal with, and to see around.

Wife's sister has a newish Forester (I think from last year).  Seems nice, but the Rav4 had more space inside.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Scipio

2000 Honda Accord V6 coupe.  270k miles.  Original slushbox transmission.  Diggit.  Two year anniversary of payoff was last month.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Zanza

Quote from: DGuller on August 19, 2011, 12:36:51 PM
No, I was just under impression that Japanese cars are not top-sellers in Europe, and that brands like VW and Renault are the shit there.

•Volkswagen Group (VW) ... 2,936,832 ... 21.3 ... -4.2
•PSA Group ... 1,844,063 ... 13.4 ... -2.3
•Renault Group ... 1,410,263 ... 10.2 ... +4.6
•GM Group ... 1,190,404 ... 8.6 ... -7.3
•Ford ... 1,109,588 ... 8.0 ... -13.3
•Fiat Group ... 1,041,287 ... 7.6 ... -17.0
•BMW Group ... 750,379 ... 5.4 ... +6.0
•Daimler ... 669,092 ... 4.9 ... -2.1
•Toyota Group ... 600,314 ... 4.4 ... -16.3
•Nissan ... 402,654 ... 2.9 ... +9.7
•Hyundai ... 358,284 ... 2.6 ... +4.7
•Kia ... 262,627 ... 1.9 ... +4.5
•Volvo ... 230,307 ... 1.7 ... +12.6
•Suzuki ... 195,458 ... 1.4 ... -21.7
•Honda ... 187,408 ... 1.4 ... -23.4
•Mazda ... 182,684 ... 1.3 ... -13.5
•Mitsubishi ... 107,347 ... 0.8 ... +8.8
•Jaguar Land Rover Group ... 94,035 ... 0.7 ... +9.2
•Chrysler ... 36,874 ... 0.3 ... -26.8
•Others ... 175,798 ... 1.2 ... +7.1

So the market share of Japanese manufacturers is roughly 12%.

DGuller

What's PSA?  Peugeauouet?

Zanza

DGuller

Interesting.  I was always under impression that Renault was the bigger of the two.

DGuller

Looking at Wiki, Renault is inded the biggest one, but Citroen is almost as big as Peugeot, so they combined beat out Renault.

Slargos

currently isuzu pickup but i am considering trading in for a stationwagon. volvo v70 or similar. perhaps the honda accord.

Malthus

Okay, related question for all: what convinced you to get the car you bought?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

11B4V

Quote from: Malthus on August 19, 2011, 03:10:12 PM
Okay, related question for all: what convinced you to get the car you bought?

60 mile round trip to work
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

HisMajestyBOB

2008 Ford Focus:

Before that, 2002 Hyundai Elantra, also a nice car.
Before that, 1994 Ford Explorer with over 200k miles. That one fell apart on me - engine overheated due to leaking coolant + faulty engine temp. gauge; brake lines started leaking, and on one occasion pressing the brake pedal resulted in a spray of brake fluid; AC stopped working; speedometer and fuel gauge both stopped working, forcing me to use the RPM for speed and odometer to estimate fuel remaining.
Ah, my first car. :wub:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help