News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Car Thread

Started by Malthus, August 19, 2011, 11:15:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

2009 VW Golf, I upgraded last year from a Polo.

Zanza

Quote from: DGuller on August 19, 2011, 02:27:30 PM
Interesting.  I was always under impression that Renault was the bigger of the two.
PSA is slightly bigger, but Renault has a very close cooperation (and considerable stake) with Nissan which gives them economies of scale.

Renault-Nissan also cooperates with Daimler, PSA cooperates with BMW. However, none can compete with Volkswagen in scale. Volkswagen may even surpass GM and/or Toyota this year in total output.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Malthus on August 19, 2011, 03:10:12 PM
Okay, related question for all: what convinced you to get the car you bought?

The Odyssey, kid transportation. Jeep Cherokee, driving in the snow. The Accord, fuel economy. The Challenger was a birthday gift.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Well this was/is my wife's vehicle primarily.  She absolutely insisted on getting a SUV - she grew up in the country, pretty much everyone in her family drives some kind of 4x4, I think it was as much a self-image thing.

So we started looking at SUVs.  I have been very satisfied with my Toyota, so I was somewhat pushing Toyota, or at least Japanese.  We looked at a few smaller SUVs from Japanese manufacturers, she seemed to like the RAV4 the best - the CR-V looked to wimpy or something.

I liked it because we could also get the optional 3rd row seats (which we did) which gives us plenty of room to bring people along with car seats.

I bought my truck back when I lived in rural Alberta and I was always hauling stuff to the dump every weekend. :Canuck:  Truth be told there's very little need for a pick-up living in the city though. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

My parents gave it to my sister, and when she bought a new car, she gave her old one to me.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tonitrus

Quote from: Barrister on August 19, 2011, 04:42:18 PM
I bought my truck back when I lived in rural Alberta and I was always hauling stuff to the dump every weekend. :Canuck:  Truth be told there's very little need for a pick-up living in the city though. :(

Don't you have a yard?

You'll need to haul in yard/garden supplies sometime.  :P

DGuller

Mainly it was the fun to drive factor.

dps

My car is a 2002 Ford Focus.  My wife picked it out.

Ironically, she almost never drives it.  She drives a 2006 Hyundai Accent that technically belongs to my mom.

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 19, 2011, 06:29:12 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 19, 2011, 04:42:18 PM

Don't you have a yard?

You'll need to haul in yard/garden supplies sometime.  :P

Hence the "very little", not "none".

But I've always lived in small towns, and always knew where the dump was.  After almost six months in Edmonton, I actually have a collection of shit the garbageman won't take, and I need to take to the dump myself...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

A dated photo, as I've already tricked out the headlights, replaced the ambers with smoked-out LEDs and replaced the OEM tail lights with steel-housed round LEDs.
Next up: front and rear bars, a 2 1/2" suspension lift, wheels and 35" tires.

CountDeMoney

Walked home over 3 miles in a driving thundersnow in loafers and slacks because my Caddy's RWD failed me one night in January.  Never again.

Now I drive over entire families of negroes.

Ed Anger

I see you don't have to deal with that front plate bullshit. My wife uses the sound of the plate scraping against the curb as her cue to stop.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 19, 2011, 07:28:56 PM
I see you don't have to deal with that front plate bullshit. My wife uses the sound of the plate scraping against the curb as her cue to stop.

LOL, that pic from from the lot where I bought it.  Still have to mount the plate in the front in Maryland.

But I'm a guy, so I know how to park.  And I usually park ass-in anyway.

Ed Anger

I like to park in the expectant mothers spot. Screw them. I need my pizza rolls.

The Larch

Expectant mothers spot?