News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Car Thread

Started by Malthus, August 19, 2011, 11:15:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

I just bought a Subaru Forester - first new car I've ever bought (all my prevous ones, I got used).

What do you guys drive these days?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

My car is 2008 VW Jetta Wolfsburg.  I was considering getting an Audi A4 this summer, but then concluded that my Jetta is almost as good at 40% of the price.

Valmy

That shitty 2005 Dodge Neon I foolishly signed off on when my ex bought it.  Ah well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

I don't own a car. The car sharing program I am in has Alfa Romeo Mitos.

When I drive for my job, it's some Mercedes model, depending on what is available. Recently mostly an SLK so I could drive open and enjoy the good weather.  :cool:

Josephus

2005 Chev Malibu...thinking of getting a new one.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

MadImmortalMan

07 FJ Cruiser, currently covered in trail dust. It needs a bath.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

11B4V

Quote from: Valmy on August 19, 2011, 11:19:31 AM
That shitty 2005 Dodge Neon I foolishly signed off on when my ex bought it.  Ah well.
I drive an 05 Neon. 140K on the clock. All ive changed is oil/filter every 6000 mile, brakes every 60,000, plug/wires every 15k.

I did the scheduled replacement for the timing belt, water pump, and tensior recommended at 90K.

dependable car.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: Malthus on August 19, 2011, 11:15:08 AM
I just bought a Subaru Forester - first new car I've ever bought (all my prevous ones, I got used).

What do you guys drive these days?
The three main vehicles

05 Neon
91 Mustang lx 5.0; Currently under going a auto to manual transmission swap.
94 dodge Ram 1500
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

09 Dodge Challenger
05 Jeep Grand Cherokee
05 Honda Accord

Others I don't drive:

09 Honda Odyssey
08 Mercury Milan (yuk)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

I bought a family friend's 2006 Toyota Camry a couple weeks ago.  Once I get rid of my piece of crap Oldsmobile Aurora, my household will be free of American cars for the first time in like 12 years.  And good riddance.  Seems like they do okay for the first 80,000 miles, then everything just rapidly deteriorates after that.

I'll miss the 3.5L V6 in my Aurora, but I suppose my Camry's 4-cyl engine will save a bit on gas.  My Camry has a standard 5-speed transmission, and I swear it shifts exactly like my brother's Supra did back in the day (weaker engine power but whatever).  Driving a standard is like riding a bike, but it is a little annoying when in stop & go traffic.  Pretty happy with it overall.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ideologue

1999 Toyota Camry.

I used to have a 2005 Neon too. :lol:  But Korea got that, because that car is fucking tiny.  And she'd filthied it up with her awful habits.  My Camry is clean.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tamas

Grey Fox

2008 Nissan Versa SL that I never drive and a
2010 Hyundai Elantra

Lease on the Versa is up in November but I think we'll buy it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

They drive Japanese cars in Europe?

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on August 19, 2011, 12:30:40 PM
They drive Japanese cars in Europe?

Are you kidding me? There is a lot of them out there. And not just the cheapo ones, altough with a big Suzuki factory in the country, they dominate the low-end part here.
And the sunday drivers market as well. God damn if I had a penny for every time a Suzuki annoyed the hell out of me.