And we're back!

Main Menu

447 year old warship found

Started by Ape, August 19, 2011, 07:16:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ape

http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article13494692.ab

Translation done by me

QuoteSensationall wreakage found in the Baltic Sea.
For 447 years it has lain untouched on the bottom of the Baltic Sea. But now a diving group has found what appears to be the Swedish warfleets flagship, Mars, which sank in 1564 just north of Öland.
-This is an archealogical goldmine. Bigger and older then Wasa, says Andreas Olsson at the Seahistorical museum to Aftonbladet.
Mars, also kalled "Makalös" (fabulous) or "Jutehataren" (Danehater), was one of its times largest ships.
Built in massive oak, with 107 guns, a length of roughly 80 metres and a crew of 800 men it was a pearl of the Baltic and pride of the Swedish warfleet.
-This ship was top of the line of what could be achieved in 1564, says Andreas Olsson, head of the seahistorical museum.
-It looked pretty much like Wasa, only bigger. To an untrained eye there were no differance between  them.

Attacked by Danes.
In May 1564 the Danish-Lübeckian fleet tried to seize the ship, in a two day long battle off the northern cape of Öland.
-It had been a great humiliation if they had succeede in capturing the ship. The crew fought and fough, says Andreas Olsson.
After 48 hours was the battle over.
Mars caught fire.
Exploded.
Sank.
-Only a few survived. Among them was Jacob Bagge who spent seven years in a Danish prision, but the majority of the 800 crew perished, says Andreas Olsson

"Searched since the sixties"
For 447 years Mars has lain utouched at the bottom of the Baltic Sea.
-People have searched activly for Mars since the sixties. Anders Franzén who found Wasa spent a long time trying to find Mars.
And now the ship has been found, by a diving group, at 75 metres depth.
-I have seen both photographs and film and everything points towards it being Mars. Seize of the wreackage, position, date... on one of the bronze cannon the divers have found the emblem of the Wasa dynasty. Everything is correct and it is very well preserved, says Andreas Olsson.

Just popping by and bringing you this tidbit of awesomness :) Thought some of you historical nerds might get a kick out of it.

107 gun ship from 1564, that's a big honking ship :)

Now I'm off again, cya.

jimmy olsen

I didn't realize 100 gun ships existed that early.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 19, 2011, 08:31:05 AM

Yup. King Henry VIII had a flagship the Mary Rose (also famously recovered) that mounted 91 guns when it sunk in 1545 - twenty years earlier. It was built in 1511.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Rose
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Palisadoes

Didn't an old case of wine get found in the Baltic a few years back? I seem to recall it was newsworthy because it was valuable. It seems Baltic waters are good at keeping sunken things preserved.

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on August 19, 2011, 08:39:00 AM

Yup. King Henry VIII had a flagship the Mary Rose (also famously recovered) that mounted 91 guns

:hmm:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Back in those days naval guns were generally not as hugeous as they were during the classic age of fighting sail.

The Brain

The Baltic is great for preserving wrecks because of the low salinity. Wood-eating critters don't like it.

According to some the Northern Seven Years War 1563-1570 was the first "modern" naval conflict. The Swedish navy was experiencing its first golden age with King Erik XIV investing heavily in great warships.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.