Canada to firmly re-assess its status as a British colony

Started by viper37, August 15, 2011, 08:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Malthus, I am trying to put your argument in the context of BC.  The province has sole jurisdiction to allocate resources to the educational system.  It funds public schools 100% and it provides a subsidy to private schools so long as the private schools meet the curriculum set by the Province.

I am not sure how that is any different from what is happening in Quebec.  The only difference is that Quebec and BC set different language components and perhaps the curriculum differs in other non relevant ways as well.

Now that Oex and Viper have explained that my initial concerns were not accurate, I am not sure what the issue is.  Why Can't a government make choices regarding resource allocation and promote a particular set of cultural values - isnt it the role of government to make resource allocation decisions amongst competiting interests?

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on August 31, 2011, 10:54:34 AM
Quote from: viper37 on August 31, 2011, 10:48:21 AM
You would have to ask those who forbid French education in the US and Canada.

Hey you can get a French education in the US if you want to pay for it.
After the civil war in Louisiana, French education was forbidden.  Many states of New England also forbid French education after the influx of French Canadian immigrants.
The situation has been reversed since then, and there are of course private schools, but I think some public schools offer French immersion too.

There is still hope for the US ;)
Vermont says Bonjour et bienvenue to attract more francophones
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on August 31, 2011, 10:55:31 AM
Even if Quebec was to forbid public english education to everyone, it wouldn't be a violation of human Rights.

Oex just finished telling me nobody would do such a thing...

QuoteNo one serious has ever advocated that since the political demise of the super extremists, in the 1970s. Who would?

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on August 31, 2011, 11:00:09 AM
Quote from: Viking on August 31, 2011, 10:56:12 AM
Traditional germanic traditions, wiped out in germany and scandinavia by Franks and powerful local Kings

I guess I have to disagree.  Anglo-Saxon culture was so devalued that nobody even bothered to write down their traditions until the 19th century and by that time they had disappeared.  To the extent local legal traditions were embraced and maintained by the new English upper classes well that is what they always did on the continent.  That is what Joseph II and the French Revolution and so forth were trying to reform.

Why would Germanic Kings care enough about the common people to wipe out their customs?  But anyway the Normans get a bad rap.  The only thing they did to make themselves historical villains was that they won.

Not German Kings, Frankish Kings brought Roman Law to Germany in the 8th and 9th centuries. Strong Scandinavian Kings (KCIV and GIIA) either created or inherited recent absolutized monarchies. Charles Stuart tried to do the same but failed.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 31, 2011, 11:09:14 AM
Even if Quebec was to forbid public english education to everyone, it wouldn't be a violation of human Rights.

QuoteNo one serious has ever advocated that since the political demise of the super extremists, in the 1970s. Who would?

Right that was a hypothetical.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on August 31, 2011, 11:10:43 AM
Not German Kings, Frankish Kings brought Roman Law to Germany in the 8th and 9th centuries. Strong Scandinavian Kings (KCIV and GIIA) either created or inherited recent absolutized monarchies. Charles Stuart tried to do the same but failed.

The Franks were Germanic...and they did a very bad job bringing Roman Law since they did not even have it in the Frankish parts of France.  Roman Law was a trait of the south.

In any case Anglo-Saxon common law made the King far more powerful than a French King so William was not going to over-ride that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on August 31, 2011, 11:14:32 AM

Right that was a hypothetical.

It is only a hypothetical because nobody would ever commit such a breach of our Charter's protection of free speech.  At least that is what Oex tells me is the case.  But now that Viper thinks it is no big deal and Grallon is definitely on side (not to mention you missed the point entirely) I am not so sure.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 31, 2011, 11:19:14 AM
It is only a hypothetical because nobody would ever commit such a breach of our Charter's protection of free speech.

Yeah what Viper said had nothing to do with free speech.  He said publicly funded education.

Grallon

Enough hypocritical shenanigans from misguided people like Malthus in his current stubborn mood and it might tempt a majority to swing back in that direction.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on August 31, 2011, 11:07:08 AM
After the civil war in Louisiana, French education was forbidden.  Many states of New England also forbid French education after the influx of French Canadian immigrants.
The situation has been reversed since then, and there are of course private schools, but I think some public schools offer French immersion too.

There is still hope for the US ;)
Vermont says Bonjour et bienvenue to attract more francophones

I would like to point out that teaching Lousianans to speak English had no effect on their eccentric swamp culture and they remain just as corrupt as before.  Cultural genocide failed completely.

The Brain

Quote from: Viking on August 31, 2011, 11:10:43 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 31, 2011, 11:00:09 AM
Traditional germanic traditions, wiped out in germany and scandinavia by Franks and powerful local Kings

I guess I have to disagree.  Anglo-Saxon culture was so devalued that nobody even bothered to write down their traditions until the 19th century and by that time they had disappeared.  To the extent local legal traditions were embraced and maintained by the new English upper classes well that is what they always did on the continent.  That is what Joseph II and the French Revolution and so forth were trying to reform.

Why would Germanic Kings care enough about the common people to wipe out their customs?  But anyway the Normans get a bad rap.  The only thing they did to make themselves historical villains was that they won.

GIIA? :hmm:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on August 31, 2011, 10:48:21 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 31, 2011, 09:22:13 AM
Was French ever a menace to "English Supremacy"?  I'm not sure your Anglo cousins think like that.
You would have to ask those who forbid French education in the US and Canada.

There are none in the US I know of.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on August 31, 2011, 11:29:28 AM
There are none in the US I know of.

Yes that was what he said.

Supposedly we outlawed it in Louisiana and New England in the 19th century.  But now we are awesome.

The Brain

Sweden has school vouchers for everyone. Problem solved.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Razgovory on August 31, 2011, 10:43:55 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on August 31, 2011, 09:53:29 AM

After the conquest.

William the Bastard did do a lot to crush Anglo-saxon traditions.

Well, he wiped out the Saxon Aristocracy. He didn't do much to change the customs of the people. Traditional germanic traditions, wiped out in germany and scandinavia by Franks and powerful local Kings, survived in England long enough to be adopted by the Norman nobility through Magna Carta and eventually into Parliament itself.

The idea of the Magna Carta and parliament are not exclusively Germanic or Scandinavian.  Linguistically you can see a massive change.  An English speaker can sort of make out Chauncer.  Pre-Conquest writings are all but impossible to make out.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017