Canada to firmly re-assess its status as a British colony

Started by viper37, August 15, 2011, 08:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 24, 2011, 02:58:02 PM
That is certainly not my experience.  I am not sure what you mean by "generic versions".

'Chinese food' 'Mexican Food' 'Indian Food'.

I bet there are dramatic regional variations of these but there is one specific version that gets spread out over the world.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on August 24, 2011, 02:58:20 PM
Nonsense.  We are all exposed to the same media and we see the same stuff on the internet and we are increasingly buying the same stuff from the same global corps.  Now it will not happen anytime soon, it will happen gradually over time, but I think it is happening.  How could it not?

Because unless you are positing some Star Trek like Federation - we will still have different lived experiences which will in turn affect local culture.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on August 24, 2011, 02:59:21 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 24, 2011, 02:58:02 PM
That is certainly not my experience.  I am not sure what you mean by "generic versions".

'Chinese food' 'Mexican Food' 'Indian Food'.

I bet there are dramatic regional variations of these but there is one specific version that gets spread out over the world.

I still dont know what you mean.  In my neighourhood alone I can go to two different Chinese Restaurants that cook in completely different styles. I have a choice of three different sushi restraurants with similar results.  Within walking distance of my office I have a choice of two quite distinct Indian restaurants.  I wont bore you with the large choice of other restaurants I have.

The only thing I would describe as generic are the fast food restaurants - but I dont eat there.  So, as I said.  Not my experience.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on August 24, 2011, 03:01:51 PM
Because unless you are positing some Star Trek like Federation - we will still have different lived experiences which will in turn affect local culture.

Maybe...what sort of experiences do you mean?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on August 24, 2011, 03:04:58 PM

Really?  Even I got that and I am an old stick in the mud.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on August 24, 2011, 03:04:58 PM

Income
Socialization
Education
Sexual orientation
Race
Local flora & fauna
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 24, 2011, 03:02:51 PM
[I still dont know what you mean.  In my neighourhood alone I can go to two different Chinese Restaurants that cook in completely different styles. I have a choice of three different sushi restraurants with similar results.  Within walking distance of my office I have a choice of two quite distinct Indian restaurants.  I wont bore you with the large choice of other restaurants I have.

The only thing I would describe as generic are the fast food restaurants - but I dont eat there.  So, as I said.  Not my experience.

I did not say that was a reality now.  I was only getting at that the cultural transferrance across the globe is creating a global culture.  But it will be a natural process and slow.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on August 24, 2011, 03:09:25 PM
I did not say that was a reality now.  I was only getting at that the cultural transferrance across the globe is creating a global culture.  But it will be a natural process and slow.

But how and why would that erase subcultures?

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on August 24, 2011, 03:07:00 PM
Income
Socialization
Education
Sexual orientation
Race
Local flora & fauna

I guess I fail to see how those things do not already vary inside any single culture.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on August 24, 2011, 02:58:20 PM
Quote from: Berkut on August 24, 2011, 02:54:01 PM
And now I do not, and this is a bad thing? How?

I don't think it is a good thing or a bad thing.  It is just: a thing.  Times are changing.

QuoteThe idea that proximity and technology are going to inevitably wash out all cultural differences is unsupported.

Nonsense.  We are all exposed to the same media and we see the same stuff on the internet and we are increasingly buying the same stuff from the same global corps.  Now it will not happen anytime soon, it will happen gradually over time, but I think it is happening.  How could it not?

The impact of the 'net hasn't really been homogenization. Rather, increased communications appears to allow for a great diversity of things to survive, because people who have an otherwise-obscure taste can now group together more easily.

Not that this is always a *good* thing - think "Rule 34". Also, Languish.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on August 24, 2011, 03:10:31 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 24, 2011, 03:07:00 PM
Income
Socialization
Education
Sexual orientation
Race
Local flora & fauna

I guess I fail to see how those things do not already vary inside any single culture.

They do - which is my point. A global monoculture is really just a boogeyman as there will always be so many subcultures contained within.

HVC

Quote from: viper37 on August 24, 2011, 02:44:42 PM
Quote from: Malthus on August 24, 2011, 02:38:11 PM
What I disagree with is the choice of method. I oppose using coercive means to support the majority over a minority in the name of "promoting a unique identity". That doesn't mean that I don't like the notion of supporting a unique identity.
so you have absolutely no problem with public school serving halal food exclusively and having prayers with menstruated women sitting at the back of the room?  Because otherwise, it would be trempling on the rights on the minority.  Nor should you be opposed to female genital mutilation, it's part of their minority culture, certainly the majority can't tremple on their rights?
you comparing clitorictomies with french free signs? lol
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on August 24, 2011, 03:10:04 PM
But how and why would that erase subcultures?

Alright I probably should not have said 'all cultural differences'.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on August 24, 2011, 03:09:25 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 24, 2011, 03:02:51 PM
[I still dont know what you mean.  In my neighourhood alone I can go to two different Chinese Restaurants that cook in completely different styles. I have a choice of three different sushi restraurants with similar results.  Within walking distance of my office I have a choice of two quite distinct Indian restaurants.  I wont bore you with the large choice of other restaurants I have.

I will just echo what Malthus and Garbon have already said.  I do not understand how this process is in anyway "natural".  In my experience globalization has increased the availablility of specialty products.  If anything my life before globalization was a lot more homogenous.

Maybe another way to look at it is the "global culture" of which you speak is a culture in which we can all have access to what we like without being restricted by the fact that the good or service is being provided a great distrance away.  Since we all have difference likes how could this create a generic future?

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on August 24, 2011, 03:12:23 PM
They do - which is my point. A global monoculture is really just a boogeyman as there will always be so many subcultures contained within.

Boogeyman?