Canada to firmly re-assess its status as a British colony

Started by viper37, August 15, 2011, 08:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: Josephus on August 23, 2011, 06:21:27 PM
Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose

Le premiere etoile Guy Lafleur

frere jacques

voulez vous couchez avec moi

merde

ou est la salle de bain
tabernac!
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Oexmelin

frere jacques

merde

ou est la salle de bain

The successes of second language French in Canada...  :lol:

A somewhat common saying in English, something picked up from hockey, a XVIIth c. song no doubt learned in elementary school (you can substitute for Alouette, I would think...), a French crude pick-up line popularized by a pop song, a French version of an English swear word, and the sentence one needed to memorize to get out of class in high school French.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Josephus

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 23, 2011, 06:27:37 PM

frere jacques

merde

ou est la salle de bain

A somewhat common saying in English, something picked up from hockey, a XVIIth c. song no doubt learned in elementary school (you can substitute for Alouette, I would think...), a French crude pick-up line popularized by a pop song, a French version of an English swear word, and the sentence one needed to memorize to get out of class in high school French.

Yeah...that's about it. :lol:
Except the first one was actually popularized in a song by an immortal English Canadian rock band, though popular in Quebec, Rush.  ;)
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 23, 2011, 05:33:35 PM
Quote from: Malthus on August 23, 2011, 04:36:33 PM
The language laws in Quebec serve the opposite function: to enhance the language rights of the french-speaking majority at the expense of the minority.

:rolleyes: Not again.

I have, time and again, asked you to explain how the language laws in Quebec violate "the minority's rights".

"The minority" school rights are protected. "The minority" whose rights are infringed, in this case, is the right of everyone who does not qualify for English schooling. Just like, in many jurisdiction, people who do not qualify for residency in one school board do not get to pick which school they send their kids to. Again, you might, like the Tea Partiers, deem this to be an intolerable infringement upon your personal freedom. You still have private schools, if you so desire.

The other "rights" infringed upon are the rights to chose the size of fonts, the right to omit a French version of the exact same advertizing. In this case, "the minority" are corporations or business owners. Having such requirements might be bad business policy, as you take pleasure in reminding us all the time, but I would be hard pressed to call that "oppression".

Why does the state having a pressing need to legislate font size?  What is the purpose of this?  Why does the Government need to enforce the use of French on private signage?  That seems absurd.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Grallon on August 23, 2011, 04:33:42 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 23, 2011, 04:11:45 PM

... They prefer French over English.  That is the whole point.

As any culturally and sociologically coherent people composed of a large majority of French speaker would.  You are indeed correct to state that that's the whole point.  As aggravating as this is for our Anglo neighbors.

G.

Oh course not.  That's why English is the predominant language of Louisiana.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Grallon

Quote from: Malthus on August 23, 2011, 05:03:21 PM

Yeah, well, not being moved to tears by violations of the rights of minorities is not exactly an unknown position for you.

Oex went at it again - trying to reason with your 'blind spot' which is, in my opinion, futile since it is - you know - a blind spot.  You don't see it, therefore you can't acknowledge it. 

In any case you're correct in saying that I believe cultural minorities should adapt themselves to the customs of the majority rather than the other way around.  In that light multiculturalism, in its Canadian flavor, is shown, once more, to be the pernicious intellectual fraud that it is.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Razgovory

Quote from: Grallon on August 23, 2011, 07:15:43 PM

In any case you're correct in saying that I believe cultural minorities should adapt themselves to the customs of the majority rather than the other way around.  In that light multiculturalism, in its Canadian flavor, is shown, once more, to be the pernicious intellectual fraud that it is.

G.

Well, since we agree to all that, we can remove the language laws and you all can speak English like civilized human beings.

Ideologue

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 23, 2011, 05:58:58 PM
Évidemment, cela me conviendrait parfaitement, d'autant que je suis bien plus éloquent dans ma langue maternelle (enfin, j'espère). Mais je crains que cela ne limite sévèrement la conversation.

Obviously, I wouldn't mind, as I speak more eloquently in my mother language (at least, I hope so).  However I believe that speaking thusly would severely limit the conversation.

Hey, I'm not that bad at this.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 23, 2011, 06:02:16 PM
Google translate gives this :

"Obviously this would suit me perfectly, especially since I am much more eloquent in my language (well, hopefully). But I fear this will severely limit the conversation."

FUCK YEAH.  I am now fluent in four languages.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on August 23, 2011, 07:50:39 PM

"Obviously this would suit me perfectly, especially since I am much more eloquent in my language (well, hopefully). But I fear this will severely limit the conversation."

English, French, Hillbilly, Briar.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 23, 2011, 07:55:49 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 23, 2011, 07:50:39 PM

English, French, Hillbilly, Briar.

:lol:
Kinemalogue

Neil

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 23, 2011, 06:27:37 PM
Well, it is the second language, but English is the language of government, culture, business, sports, technology, the media and in fact civilization.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 23, 2011, 06:09:51 PM
The reason why we return all the time to the past, is simply because the place of French in Canada is precisely grounded in the past, in national narratives, which the presentism of multi-culturalism, cost-benefit analysis, and liberalism, do their best to bracket away.

I'm not sure how such an impasse would ever be bridged then. Most people find the 19th century irrelevant (or generously - of little importance) at this point, if they even are aware of the past.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on August 23, 2011, 04:01:35 PM
Quote from: grumbler on August 23, 2011, 03:47:39 PM
Quote from: Malthus on August 23, 2011, 03:18:47 PM
After all, I've had clients sued by Martians...
I seem to recall that story.  Didn't the judge dismiss on the grounds that, if the plaintiff were correct, he had no grounds, as a Martian, to sue in that court?

Yup, that's the one - Martians aren't "persons" who could sue (the backgroud is that at the time it was very difficult to dismiss a case in Ontario in a summary manner for a factual reason - it has since grown easier. Hence the somewhat smartass ruling  :D ).
Let's say an alien scientist was observing Earth and the Canadian Air Force detected him and shot him down and he sued, would his/her/it's case really be dismissed on that reasoning?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point