Canada to firmly re-assess its status as a British colony

Started by viper37, August 15, 2011, 08:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 23, 2011, 04:01:29 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 23, 2011, 03:59:04 PM
So what is it the Francophones really want?  I'm getting the feeling there is something unsaid here.  The fact that some our resident Francophones angrily demand that French be on equal footing to English in the rest of Canada, but don't seem to mind that France must predominate in Quebec strikes me as a bit odd.

Now that is a very good question. Especially given the view of Grallon and Viper that the legislation given access to French should be repealed.

I am not sure I see the issue.  The Language laws differ in different provinces yes?

Are the laws in Quebec not consistent with the federal laws?  Are they given some sort of special status to advance Frenchiness?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on August 23, 2011, 04:09:45 PM
I am not sure I see the issue.  The Language laws differ in different provinces yes?

Are the laws in Quebec not consistent with the federal laws?  Are they given some sort of special status to advance Frenchiness?

There are no language laws in other provinces.  Quebec laws are most certainly not consistent with Federal law.  They prefer French over English.  That is the whole point. 

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 23, 2011, 04:11:45 PM
Quebec laws are most certainly not consistent with Federal law.

So...how can they get away with that?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on August 23, 2011, 03:18:47 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 23, 2011, 03:12:35 PM
Wow you lawyers can make any thread boring.

Hey, I could write a novel about some of my old war stories - and sometimes I think I should.

After all, I've had clients sued by Martians, and others by Jesus Christ, the Son of Man. The former was a nutcase (or perhaps a Martian), but the latter was a quite serious matter about real money ...

Didn't you watch a stupid man plummet to his death?

Anyway, the Martian ruling is fucked up.  Canada's racist.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on August 23, 2011, 04:17:47 PM

Didn't you watch a stupid man plummet to his death?

Anyway, the Martian ruling is fucked up.  Canada's racist.

I didn't actually see that. I knew of it, of course.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

There are no language laws in other provinces.  Quebec laws are most certainly not consistent with Federal law.  They prefer French over English.  That is the whole point.

:blink:

http://www.canlii.org/en/ab/laws/stat/rsa-2000-c-l-6/latest/rsa-2000-c-l-6.html

for starters...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grallon

... They prefer French over English.  That is the whole point.

As any culturally and sociologically coherent people composed of a large majority of French speaker would.  You are indeed correct to state that that's the whole point.  As aggravating as this is for our Anglo neighbors.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on August 23, 2011, 04:30:29 PM

for starters...

Yes, there is language legislation in other provinces - generally intended to preserve and protect the language rights of the French-speaking minority.

Example, Ontario:

http://www.canlii.org/en/on/laws/stat/rso-1990-c-f32/latest/rso-1990-c-f32.html

The language laws in Quebec serve the opposite function: to enhance the language rights of the french-speaking majority at the expense of the minority.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grallon

Quote from: Malthus on August 23, 2011, 04:36:33 PM

The language laws in Quebec serve the opposite function: to enhance the language rights of the french-speaking majority at the expense of the minority.

I am not moved to tears over our minority's fate.  If they're not satisfied - Canada is that way.  And considering the rate of assimilation of those French minorities outside of Quebec - we'll keep the languages laws firmly in place here.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 23, 2011, 04:01:29 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 23, 2011, 03:59:04 PM
So what is it the Francophones really want?  I'm getting the feeling there is something unsaid here.  The fact that some our resident Francophones angrily demand that French be on equal footing to English in the rest of Canada, but don't seem to mind that France must predominate in Quebec strikes me as a bit odd.

Now that is a very good question. Especially given the view of Grallon and Viper that the legislation given access to French should be repealed.

Well the entire point of federalism is that provincial laws don't have to be consistent with federal laws - each level of government has their own areas of jurisdiction.

Quebec has passed laws making French the official language of Quebec, and even went so far as to put restrictions on the use of English.  At one point those laws were found to violate the right of freedom of expression.   However, Quebec used what is called the "notwithstanding" clause to pass their language laws 'notwithstanding' the Charter of Rights.

However, those laws were further amended back in the 90s, they no longer violate the Charter, and Quebec no longer has to invoke the notwithstanding clause.

Now there are certain language rights enshrined in the Constitution - they mostly deal with minority language education and access to government services.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on August 23, 2011, 04:30:29 PM

for starters...

You are a bit slow on the uptake there BB, what part of that legislation says English must be preferred to French.  I am curious as to why Alberta felt the need to say that their statutes were valid if only printed in English.  Do you know why.  Also does any other Province do this?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grallon on August 23, 2011, 04:33:42 PM

... They prefer French over English.  That is the whole point.

As any culturally and sociologically coherent people composed of a large majority of French speaker would.  You are indeed correct to state that that's the whole point.  As aggravating as this is for our Anglo neighbors.

G.

Thanks for the confirmation Grallon.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on August 23, 2011, 04:44:18 PM
However, those laws were further amended back in the 90s, they no longer violate the Charter, and Quebec no longer has to invoke the notwithstanding clause.

Is there a case on that or is that the common wisdom on the topic?

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 23, 2011, 04:47:26 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 23, 2011, 04:44:18 PM

Is there a case on that or is that the common wisdom on the topic?

I checked wikipedia, but that merely confirmed what my own memory said.

Supposedly, Quebec amended the Act to adopt language "suggested" by the SCC.