Canada to firmly re-assess its status as a British colony

Started by viper37, August 15, 2011, 08:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Let it be known, BB is no longer "Pleated Pants Man", now he shall be "Frenchie". Pass it along.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Whoops.

See when you say it it SOUNDS like you are saying the infinitive.  Writing French is so much harder than speaking it...but that is probably true for English also.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on August 23, 2011, 11:56:04 AM
Whoops.

See when you say it it SOUNDS like you are saying the infinitive.  Writing French is so much harder than speaking it...but that is probably true for English also.
knight says it all.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Valmy

I need to study a bit more if I ever plan on working for Air Canada.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on August 23, 2011, 11:58:45 AM
No. No more dude stewards. Just no.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on August 23, 2011, 11:56:04 AM
Whoops.

Glad to have been of help :)

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on August 23, 2011, 11:42:13 AM
You have won one Pierre Trudeau point for your devotion to blingualism in Canada!  Congratulations!

BB's trainining is complete. He has now come fully to the Dark Side.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on August 23, 2011, 11:33:36 AM
ZOMG - have I just been called an extreme bilingualist? :wacko:

You are the guy that is trying to claim that all is fine since government services can always be obtained in French despite all the evidence to the contrary.  That is about as exteme a position as one can take in support of bilingualism.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on August 23, 2011, 11:44:28 AM
Quote from: HVC on August 23, 2011, 11:43:29 AM
You should have put the french first or someone will complain :P

:lol:

Also isn't there an issue with both having the same font size?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on August 23, 2011, 12:00:18 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 23, 2011, 11:58:45 AM
No. No more dude stewards. Just no.

I like male flight attendants. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on August 23, 2011, 02:05:43 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 23, 2011, 11:44:28 AM
Quote from: HVC on August 23, 2011, 11:43:29 AM
You should have put the french first or someone will complain :P

:lol:

Also isn't there an issue with both having the same font size?

Good eye.  You would do well with the language police.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on August 23, 2011, 11:33:36 AM
This case is a poor example, as I think it's ridiculous that Air Canada is subject to the Official Languages Act.
Considering it's a private company, yes, it could be a poor example.
Considering they were allowed to merge with Canadian airlines, form a near monopoly (I don't know the exact rule, but it's not just any transporter who can offer flights between canadian cities), get federal money, get some more federal money, again some more federal money and we don't know if they'll require again some federal money, I'd say they're nearing the status of a Crown corporation and it's normal they are subject to this law.

Maybe it's unfair.  Maybe they shouldn't.  But then, repeal the law, allow foreign competition to enter the market and let us choose based on a variety of factors.

Anyway, the point was not about Air Canada, but rather the reaction of many english canadians, even editorials and op-eds, about the whole situation rather than Air Canada non respect of their policies.  If CC were to board an airplane with first class ticket and they just told him "sorry, we overbooked, you'll have to seat in economy", I'm sure he wouldn't settle for a smile and an handshake, especially if it keeps happening over&over.

It's not like it's something new for Air Canada.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Heh just came back from a business meeting with a major retailer, aimed at children's goods. Stores are opening across Canada.  On the agenda: cost of expanding into Quebec, as presented by a (fancophone) partner from our Montreal office (I was speaking to federal CCPSA compliance).

Major problems: Quebec's consumer protection legislation forbids advertising directed at children; high cost of advertising language compliance - *all* advertising has to be "predominantly" in French, meaning the French version must be "markedly more prominant" than English. Trilingual advertising materials already in existance are not complaint, as all three languages are equally dominant.

Conclusions: the increased costs of entry make this the least desireable location in north america for expansion. The Montreal area is a major market, but high entry costs are a major deterent. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on August 23, 2011, 02:15:08 PM
Anyway, the point was not about Air Canada, but rather the reaction of many english canadians, even editorials and op-eds, about the whole situation rather than Air Canada non respect of their policies.  If CC were to board an airplane with first class ticket and they just told him "sorry, we overbooked, you'll have to seat in economy", I'm sure he wouldn't settle for a smile and an handshake, especially if it keeps happening over&over.

It's not like it's something new for Air Canada.

That's the point you have attempted to make. But most outside of Quebec see a rather different point to this story.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

How can you fail to order a 7Up in French anyway?  I mean, I don't speak French, but unless you were improperly translating the product name (JE VEUX UNE SEPT JUSQU'A) I don't even see the confusion.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)