Canada to firmly re-assess its status as a British colony

Started by viper37, August 15, 2011, 08:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on August 23, 2011, 09:09:08 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 23, 2011, 09:06:21 AM
Hmmm.........I had the impression that the linguistic divide between Quebec and the rest of Canada was getting greater in recent decades. ie that French is getting stronger in its Quebec redoubt but the remainder of the country is becoming totally Anglo.

Is this the case, or am I under a false impression?

I think it is a false impression.  I think French is not getting particularly stronger Quebec with immigrants coming in and Quebeckers no longer having babies.  It was never really a factor in the west.

The status of French in Ontario and the Maritimes may be suffering, so you may be right there, though I am not sure.

Guys - French is thriving in the West.  Almost every community now has entire Francophone schools - not French classes, not French immersion, but schools where the students come in speaking french, and are taught in French.

Now it's true that the dominant language is English, and that's not going to change.  But the French language in Western Canada is stronger than its been for 40 years.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on August 23, 2011, 09:24:48 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 23, 2011, 09:09:08 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 23, 2011, 09:06:21 AM
Hmmm.........I had the impression that the linguistic divide between Quebec and the rest of Canada was getting greater in recent decades. ie that French is getting stronger in its Quebec redoubt but the remainder of the country is becoming totally Anglo.

Is this the case, or am I under a false impression?

I think it is a false impression.  I think French is not getting particularly stronger Quebec with immigrants coming in and Quebeckers no longer having babies.  It was never really a factor in the west.

The status of French in Ontario and the Maritimes may be suffering, so you may be right there, though I am not sure.

Guys - French is thriving in the West.  Almost every community now has entire Francophone schools - not French classes, not French immersion, but schools where the students come in speaking french, and are taught in French.

Now it's true that the dominant language is English, and that's not going to change.  But the French language in Western Canada is stronger than its been for 40 years.
they're sandwhiching us in :o . Soon we shall be cut off from the sea :ph34r:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on August 23, 2011, 09:17:18 AM
Quote from: Berkut on August 23, 2011, 09:14:32 AM
Uhhh, the "law" or whatever demands that EVERY single stewardess speaks French? Seriously?

That would be a stunningly stupid law if it was the case.

I could maybe see a law that says that there be someone who speaks enough French to adequately communicate with French speaking customers, but all of them? That is just plain silly.

I like how you read little that has been said in a thread but are quick to mash the buttons on your keyboard in some level of outrage.

I like how you interpret asking a question based on a post that someone else rather clearly made and then act like a d-bag about it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

[Guys - French is thriving in the West.  Almost every community now has entire Francophone schools - not French classes, not French immersion, but schools where the students come in speaking french, and are taught in French.

Do you plan on taking advantage of this for your kids? :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on August 23, 2011, 10:06:34 AM
Uhhh, the "law" or whatever demands that EVERY single stewardess speaks French? Seriously?

I could maybe see a law that says that there be someone who speaks enough French to adequately communicate with French speaking customers, but all of them? That is just plain silly.

I like how you read little that has been said in a thread but are quick to mash the buttons on your keyboard in some level of outrage.

I like how you interpret asking a question based on a post that someone else rather clearly made and then act like a d-bag about it.

Except your questions came across as hypotheticals - rhetorical questions.  "Stunningly stupid" "That is just plain silly."  You added a lot of judgment after both questions.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on August 23, 2011, 10:07:28 AM
[Guys - French is thriving in the West.  Almost every community now has entire Francophone schools - not French classes, not French immersion, but schools where the students come in speaking french, and are taught in French.

Do you plan on taking advantage of this for your kids? :hmm:

My kid wouldn't qualify for Francophone school - we don't speak French at home.

Being boring suburbanites, we bought a house in a neighborhood with a very good elementary school with closed enrollment (i.e. you must live in the area for your kid to go to that school).  It's not specifically a french immersion school though. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on August 23, 2011, 10:15:53 AM
Quote from: Berkut on August 23, 2011, 10:06:34 AM

Except your questions came across as hypotheticals - rhetorical questions.  "Stunningly stupid" "That is just plain silly."  You added a lot of judgment after both questions.

No, you need to learn how to read without assumptions.

I said rather clearly that it would be "stunningly stupid" IF IT WAS THE CASE.

But whatever, if you want to play the d-bag, it's not like reason is going to stop you.

0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on August 23, 2011, 10:19:29 AM
But whatever, if you want to play the d-bag, it's not like reason is going to stop you.
That's his schtick.  You don't even need to respond to it.  After all these years, he isn't going to stop just because someone asks.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Yeah as if your posts are in a vacuum. You've been railing against the French Canadian position in this thread.  You clearly brought up those questions with the goal of finding additional proof that they are annoying, whiny gits.

After all, only minutes before you brought us this gem:
Quote from: BerkutWouldn't the easiest solution be just chopping of Quebec? I mean really, let them go be their own "country", I am sure it would work out great for them. They could all refuse to speak English to each other and the rest of North America would have something to laugh at. Sounds like a sure win-win.

If it makes me a "d-bag" to call your ass out, so be it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on August 23, 2011, 10:19:19 AM

Being boring suburbanites, we bought a house in a neighborhood with a very good elementary school with closed enrollment (i.e. you must live in the area for your kid to go to that school).  It's not specifically a french immersion school though. :(
Are there French immersion classes (like summer camps) for kids in the west?
My younger cousins attended some summer camps like that, to learn english.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on August 23, 2011, 10:30:12 AM

Yeah as if your posts are in a vacuum. You've been railing against the French Canadian position in this thread.  You clearly brought up those questions with the goal of finding additional proof that they are annoying, whiny gits.

Oh, so now you know why I post, even if I state explicitly that I am asking a question?

Hell, I was asking what the law was - how would the law turn someone into a whiny git? I said the law was stupid, if it was as stated. I did not say a word about the Canadian French in the post you accused me of being "outraged" about.

After all, only minutes before you brought us this gem:
Quote from: BerkutWouldn't the easiest solution be just chopping of Quebec? I mean really, let them go be their own "country", I am sure it would work out great for them. They could all refuse to speak English to each other and the rest of North America would have something to laugh at. Sounds like a sure win-win.

That is called a joke. Unwad your tender sensibilities.
If it makes me a "d-bag" to call your ass out, so be it.

No, what makes you a d-bag is acting like a d-bag and then backpedaling when you get called out on it. But grumbler is right, this is your "thing", and I guess you need something to separate you from everyone else. You are a special and unique flower.

0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on August 23, 2011, 08:42:32 AM
but if a country is going to say it has two languages, they should manage that.

We do "manage it".  It is a question of degree.  So I will ask you the same question the Oex has not yet answered.  Should the Federal government employ a french speaking employee in a community where there is zero chance someone will seek their services in French or should some reasonable judgments be made about the allocation of resources.

What this guy is doing is pushing at the edges of what is reasonable.

HVC

Quote from: viper37 on August 23, 2011, 10:34:47 AM
Quote from: Barrister on August 23, 2011, 10:19:19 AM

Don't know about out west, but there are in ontario. Knew a girl who went to french immersion and that school also offered afternnon and summer classes (whether or not you were a regular student). Don't now how wide spread it is though. But since i know of tonnes of portugese courses (i went to two classes before i bitched my way out of it) i assume there has to be french ones too.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 23, 2011, 10:36:34 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 23, 2011, 08:42:32 AM
but if a country is going to say it has two languages, they should manage that.

We do "manage it".  It is a question of degree.  So I will ask you the same question the Oex has not yet answered.  Should the Federal government employ a french speaking employee in a community where there is zero chance someone will seek their services in French or should some reasonable judgments be made about the allocation of resources.

What this guy is doing is pushing at the edges of what is reasonable.

It strikes me as the kind of thing that if every single stewardess on that flight spoke French, he would be suing about something else. Because the goal isn't really about making sure that the current level of support for French speakers is adequate, it is about making it clear that there is no adequate level of support possible.

I think he fails though by choosing such a trivial topic, it just makes him easily dismissed.

0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on August 23, 2011, 10:34:47 AM

Yes, My son attended one this summer.  I am not sure why you would be surprised to learn that.  Fyi French immersion classes are in very high demand here and French language classes are part of the course of study mandated by the Province in all schools.

So what was your point?