Canada to firmly re-assess its status as a British colony

Started by viper37, August 15, 2011, 08:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

I don't think anyone other than him does.

I don't get why anyone would want to go through the expense and effort of changing it though either.

Barrister

Quote from: Maximus on August 17, 2011, 05:09:44 PM

I don't get why anyone would want to go through the expense and effort of changing it though either.

The Monarchy, or the names of the Air Force and Navy?

MacKay did say they wouldn't be spending any new money on it - just from this day out ordering anything new to read RCN or RCAF.

Apparently the names RCAF and RCN were never legally taken away - they just administratively weren't used any longer.  They don't even need to pass a law, or Order in Council, to do this.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Maximus

The names. *shrug* it's no big deal, but I don't get why they're doing it.

Barrister

Quote from: Maximus on August 17, 2011, 05:35:49 PM

Harper has very consciously and deliberately tried to emphasize a more "conservative" Canadian self-image as part of the overall plan to make the Conservatives the "natural governing party".  That includes greater emphasis and respect for both the Canadian military, and the royalty, as well as a greater emphasis on Canadian history and tradition.

All of that combines nicely in bringing back the traditional names.

Viking

beeb, you need an avatar change...

this thread seems to be getting ready for an Avro Arrow Hijack.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Barrister

Viking

Quote from: Barrister on August 17, 2011, 05:52:09 PM
Quote from: Viking on August 17, 2011, 05:49:31 PM
beeb, you need an avatar change...

:unsure:

You do know what this avatar is, don't you?

:cool:

It's not the roundel

so I conclude that it now is missing a crown of some sort... but, if I'm wrong please enlighten me...

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

after a bit more research, obviously, I'm wrong....

besides, there is only one winnipeg hockey team worth mentioning

That gold medal belongs to US!

Cecil

Viking

Razgovory

Quote from: Maximus on August 17, 2011, 05:09:44 PM

Repainting the dozen odd vehicles the Canadian military has and the purchase of new stationary doesn't seem to difficult.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Is the Winnipeg Jets logo supposed to be a stylized Hornet?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on August 17, 2011, 05:41:58 PM
Quote from: Maximus on August 17, 2011, 05:35:49 PM

Harper has very consciously and deliberately tried to emphasize a more "conservative" Canadian self-image as part of the overall plan to make the Conservatives the "natural governing party".  That includes greater emphasis and respect for both the Canadian military, and the royalty, as well as a greater emphasis on Canadian history and tradition.

All of that combines nicely in bringing back the traditional names.
He just lost Quebec forever.
He better be ready to sign his checkbook for Ontario every 4 years.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.