News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Better MST3K host?

Started by Kleves, August 15, 2011, 08:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who was the Satellite of Love's best host?

Joel
4 (30.8%)
Mike Nelson
9 (69.2%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Ed Anger

Mike for me, even though the early seasons had the better movies.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Mike.  I only started watching the show when Mike was on so he was who I was used to.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Scipio

Joel had better movies; consequently, Joel.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

derspiess

Mike.  Joel was great but Mike had more personality.

Plus he did my favorite two episodes:  Santa Claus (Mexican) & Teenage Strangler.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DontSayBanana

Toss-up.  Mike's writing was always better, but Joel always had the better delivery for jokes (see: Rifftrax vs. Cinematic Titanic).
Experience bij!

Ideologue

Mike.

I don't see how folks can say Joel had the better (which I guess means more riffable?) movies.  Joel seemed to wind up with the harder-to-riff, all-filler, why-aren't-you-getting-an-awkward-handjob-yet stuff.  On the other hand, Mike had the Coleman Francis trilogy. :bleeding:

Also, Joel suffers from the teething problems of the KTMA and the first Comedy Channel seasons.  Stacking later Joel up against later Mike is fairer, and then they're about even.

P.S. But Bill Corbett > Trace Beaulieu.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Ideologue on August 15, 2011, 09:34:34 PM
P.S. But Bill Corbett > Trace Beaulieu.

Fair enough, even if Crow did sound like he had a cold for the rest of the series. :P
Experience bij!

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: derspiess on August 15, 2011, 09:09:22 PMSanta Claus (Mexican)

One of the best things to ever air on television. My god, that was so hilarious.  :lol:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

FunkMonk

Mike, although my favorite joke of his was when he wasn't even the host of the show yet: His rendition of the Gamera theme song while impersonating Michael Feinstein. My single favorite moment of the show, which is saying a lot.  :D

http://youtu.be/SNy73PP-YeI?t=2m44s
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ideologue

Quote from: FunkMonk on August 17, 2011, 06:28:00 PM
Mike, although my favorite joke of his was when he wasn't even the host of the show yet: His rendition of the Gamera theme song while impersonating Michael Feinstein. My single favorite moment of the show, which is saying a lot.  :D

http://youtu.be/SNy73PP-YeI?t=2m44s

:)

I also liked his Glenn Manning and "Winky" from Rocky Jones roles.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

FunkMonk

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 15, 2011, 10:51:14 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 15, 2011, 09:09:22 PMSanta Claus (Mexican)

One of the best things to ever air on television. My god, that was so hilarious.  :lol:

I haven't seen this in years and I just found it on Youtube. Two hours gone, check.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Darth Wagtaros

Hard to say. Whoever does the Rifftrax.
PDH!

grumbler

Joel.  All Mike was doing was imitating Joel, who created the show.  As the show was gradually taken over by the suits, it became less fun and unpredictable.  I think the addition of Pearl marked the moment it jumped the shark.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!