Tobacco giants suing FDA over warning labels mandate

Started by jimmy olsen, August 17, 2011, 09:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Jacob on August 18, 2011, 12:48:44 PM
I think there's something to LaCroix's point about design. If those warnings and texts are on each of the packages, it makes it harder for the cigarette manufacturers to position the product as slick and cool and stylish.

The "smoking kills" and "here's a gross picture" parts of the package are not about deterring regular smokers, but about making picking up that pack just a little bit less cool for non-smokers I would expect.

Yeah but why would we do it? Stupid people who pay a tax so they can die younger are what we need.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on August 18, 2011, 03:18:49 PM
Yeah but why would we do it? Stupid people who pay a tax so they can die younger are what we need.

So long as they wait to die until right when they are about to draw a government pension...presuming they have a job.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on August 18, 2011, 12:48:44 PM
I think there's something to LaCroix's point about design. If those warnings and texts are on each of the packages, it makes it harder for the cigarette manufacturers to position the product as slick and cool and stylish.

The "smoking kills" and "here's a gross picture" parts of the package are not about deterring regular smokers, but about making picking up that pack just a little bit less cool for non-smokers I would expect.

Because they don't kust keel over - smokers have a lifetime of health concerns / problems that are very expensive to treat.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

ulmont

Quote from: Barrister on August 18, 2011, 03:25:24 PM

Because they don't kust keel over - smokers have a lifetime of health concerns / problems that are very expensive to treat.

But a shorter lifetime, which leads to a net savings.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/health-why-smoking-may-help-to-lower-the-cost-of-health-care-1234901.html
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199710093371506

Capetan Mihali

:frog:   Shove your warning labels.

Smokers cost less to treat than all the healthy lunatics living to 88.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Martinus

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on August 19, 2011, 01:44:31 AM

That's true. However, if you smoke regularly, it means you are a fucking idiot.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Martinus on August 19, 2011, 01:45:42 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on August 19, 2011, 01:44:31 AM

That's true. However, if you smoke regularly, it means you are a fucking idiot.

:huh: Just because I staked my No Bull homestead in Marlboro Country doesn't make me an idiot.   :hmm:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)