Tobacco giants suing FDA over warning labels mandate

Started by jimmy olsen, August 17, 2011, 09:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Smokers are pretty fucking stupid to begin with, and smokes don't make them smarter. If anything pictures are probably too high brow.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

Canada implemented the pictures years ago. I don't even notice them anymore. I've never read the warning letter in the pack either. Negative advertisements don't work 
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

derspiess

Quote from: LaCroix on August 17, 2011, 03:57:53 PM
Quote from: Martinus on August 17, 2011, 03:53:52 PM
I don't think anyone who smokes these days in the Western world is unaware of harm it causes to health. So not sure what this campaign is supposed to achieve.

knowing cigarettes are harmful isn't the same as seeing death on every pack purchased. i can see the visual deterrent working for some

Yeah, I bet the geniuses that designed that stupid billboard with a cigarette shaped like a bullet thought their campaign would be effective as well.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

LaCroix

Quote from: derspiess on August 17, 2011, 04:27:01 PMYeah, I bet the geniuses that designed that stupid billboard with a cigarette shaped like a bullet thought their campaign would be effective as well.

or those ridiculous smoking-kills commercials where the actors fall down in the street? :lol:

but seriously, commercials and billboards are a little different from pervasive ads on every pack. exposure comes with every purchase. even if it did nothing for me personally, i would feel a little more self-conscious whipping out a pack in public that's covered in death as opposed to the slick marlboro designs :D

HVC

Quote from: LaCroix on August 17, 2011, 04:50:54 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 17, 2011, 04:27:01 PMYeah, I bet the geniuses that designed that stupid billboard with a cigarette shaped like a bullet thought their campaign would be effective as well.

or those ridiculous smoking-kills commercials where the actors fall down in the street? :lol:

but seriously, commercials and billboards are a little different from pervasive ads on every pack. exposure comes with every purchase. even if it did nothing for me personally, i would feel a little more self-conscious whipping out a pack in public that's covered in death as opposed to the slick marlboro designs :D
they should put one of those greeting card song chips in every pack so that when you open it you hear the funeral march song :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on August 17, 2011, 09:26:56 AM
Oh, I don't think the FDA murders anyone.
They're a US government body, and that means they're complicit in all the murders committed by the US armed forces in Iraq and Afghanistan, not to mention all those CIA killings.

And Ruby Ridge!
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Cecil

Only weak people smoke anyway. Might as well weed them out a bit earlier.  :hmm:

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on August 17, 2011, 05:33:05 PM
they should put one of those greeting card song chips in every pack so that when you open it you hear the funeral march song :lol:
:hmm:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: LaCroix on August 17, 2011, 04:50:54 PM

You would probably get cancer from worrying about disturbing images on the package. :P

Martinus

I think rules against smoking around people who do not want it are fine, but that's where the whole anti-cigarette campaign should stop. People should have a right to smoke what they like and get their health fucked up.

The whole ruccus around smoking is very hypocritical on both sides, btw. I reserve special loathing for the idiots who think that banning smoking would be a disaster but support banning pot (well, except tobacco companies who are just business savvy if they hold such stance).

Jacob

I think there's something to LaCroix's point about design. If those warnings and texts are on each of the packages, it makes it harder for the cigarette manufacturers to position the product as slick and cool and stylish.

The "smoking kills" and "here's a gross picture" parts of the package are not about deterring regular smokers, but about making picking up that pack just a little bit less cool for non-smokers I would expect.

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 17, 2011, 07:10:11 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 17, 2011, 12:20:44 PM
Keep on misplacing that rage, Tim :lol:
Am I filled with rage? :unsure:

I hope these murderous fucks burn in hell.

Sounds like rage to me.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall