Main Menu

GOP debate

Started by MadImmortalMan, August 11, 2011, 08:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 15, 2011, 05:46:34 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 15, 2011, 05:42:09 PM
This is Raz we're talking about here. 

Unfortunately, we know Republicans are partisan, hostile, and obstructionist without using impeachments as a barometer.  And yes, there has been a single theme in loyal opposition GOP strategy between the Clinton and Obama Administrations, and that is reinforcing and maintaining an appearance of illigitimacy. 
Whether it's impeachment or implying the President isn't a US citizen, Republitards sincerely believe a Democrat should not be in the White House.

I see.  So now the two useful proxies for partisanship, hostility and obstructionism are (a) impeachments not related to Watergate, and (b) birthers at the fringe of one's party.

We can allow all impeachments related to Watergate.  Every President impeached because of his or her involvement in Watergate is fair game.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on August 15, 2011, 06:43:42 PM
It's not the only, one but it dwarfs any other.  I understand it why you don't like it.  It makes your guys look terrible.

The principle reason I don't like it is because it's willfull ignorance.  Just as it's willfull ignorance to say that Clinton was impeached over a blowjob.  If you think that lying under oath and obstructing an investigation was not an impeachable offense, go ahead and make that case, but don't pretend it was about a blowjob.  It's willfull ignorance to pretend that the left in this country wasn't howling for Bush's head from day one over his "stolen election."  It's willfull ignorance to pretend that the left didn't try to bludgeon Bush with Iraq and then stop caring after we had won.  It's willfull ignorance to pretend that Gitmo was the most heinous crime known to man until Obama continued it.

If people claim to have principles, defend those principles, wherever the chips fall.  Otherwise your just another tribalist whose opinion has zero meaning.

Razgovory

What were they investigating?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 15, 2011, 07:01:39 PM
It's not the only, one but it dwarfs any other.  I understand it why you don't like it.  It makes your guys look terrible.

The principle reason I don't like it is because it's willfull ignorance.  Just as it's willfull ignorance to say that Clinton was impeached over a blowjob.  If you think that lying under oath and obstructing an investigation was not an impeachable offense, go ahead and make that case, but don't pretend it was about a blowjob.  It's willfull ignorance to pretend that the left in this country wasn't howling for Bush's head from day one over his "stolen election."  It's willfull ignorance to pretend that the left didn't try to bludgeon Bush with Iraq and then stop caring after we had won.  It's willfull ignorance to pretend that Gitmo was the most heinous crime known to man until Obama continued it.

If people claim to have principles, defend those principles, wherever the chips fall.  Otherwise your just another tribalist whose opinion has zero meaning.

This is deceptive.  You can say "the left".  Who exactly, how many?  By using vague statements you can imply everyone on the left did this which is not true.  When I point to the impeachment I can point to an extraordinary action done by Republicans and exactly who voted for it.  But if you want, we can use vague statements.  For instance I say that "the Right" encouraged people to shoot at federal officers during the Clinton presidency.  A fairly popular radio show host did just that.  Of course not all members of "The Right" did this, but we can't tell how many agreed with it but said nothing.  I could say this, but it would be, in my opinion, dishonest.

Eddie Teach

There were several members of Congress who attempted to block Bush's inauguration.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

You have to admit that 2000 elections were an extremely unfortunate affair, and if there ever was a non-fraudulent election that would fail at giving the winner legitimacy, that one would be it.

Neil

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 15, 2011, 02:51:40 PM
Americans don't give a shit about showing the world we're not racist. Or anything else for that matter. Damn furriners.  :rolleyes:

Obama won because the economy sucked and Bush got the blame for it.
Americans care about showing themselves that they're not racist.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Siege

Quote from: Neil on August 15, 2011, 07:39:32 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 15, 2011, 02:51:40 PM
Americans don't give a shit about showing the world we're not racist. Or anything else for that matter. Damn furriners.  :rolleyes:

Obama won because the economy sucked and Bush got the blame for it.

Exactly.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 15, 2011, 07:31:04 PM
There were several members of Congress who attempted to block Bush's inauguration.

Did so such a bill pass?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on August 15, 2011, 07:39:32 PM

This is true to an extent. Also true that a certain amount of casual racism is unavoidable. I think these factors tended to balance each other out.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: Viking on August 15, 2011, 01:39:23 PM
siegy, I still want to hear from you why you think obama is an extreme leftist rather than the centrist his policies would suggest?

He's only centrist from your European perspective.  Foreign policy aside, of course.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Quote from: grumbler on August 15, 2011, 06:06:58 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 15, 2011, 05:46:34 PM
I see.  So now the two useful proxies for partisanship, hostility and obstructionism are (a) impeachments not related to Watergate, and (b) birthers at the fringe of one's party.
I seem to recall that the "fringe" of the Republicans that didn't believe Obama was born in the US was something like 40% of those surveyed.  Pretty big fringe.

I still wonder who the hell they surveyed for that.  I don't know anybody who believed that crap.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on August 15, 2011, 09:29:16 PM
Quote from: Viking on August 15, 2011, 01:39:23 PM
siegy, I still want to hear from you why you think obama is an extreme leftist rather than the centrist his policies would suggest?

He's only centrist from your European perspective.  Foreign policy aside, of course.

Obama is an extremist because he is an impediment to Republican control of the White House.  He could be Reagan-come-again, and so long as he was Democrat he'd be an extremist.

Ideologue

Actual question--Obama did stop torture at Gitmo, right?  I forget.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Berkut

Quote from: Ideologue on August 15, 2011, 10:04:20 PM

Actual question--Obama did stop torture at Gitmo, right?  I forget.

No, he did not.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned