And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP debate

Started by MadImmortalMan, August 11, 2011, 08:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on August 15, 2011, 02:47:23 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 15, 2011, 02:38:00 PM
That's different than saying Obama played the race cared Seeb.
I see your point.
Let me rephrase. Obama profited in the election by being black, regardless of wheather he played the race card or not.
Now, this was a one time event. Only the first black american to run in the finals got this boost.
He ain't gonna get this the next election.
Americans have cleansed the guilty consciences and next time they will vote for whomever they think will fix the economy regardless of race.

You could just as easily say he was damaged by being black.  He didn't win Missouri despite the state going for the Democrats in almost every other election.  Talking to my relatives in St. Louis (Democrats all, and typically racist), it's not hard to see why.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

My guess is that race was a net benefit, but certainly not worth the 7-8% points he beat McCain by.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 15, 2011, 03:04:09 PM
My guess is that race was a net benefit, but certainly not worth the 7-8% points he beat McCain by.

Yeah, Palin was worth at least 3% herself.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

frunk

It certainly was the deciding factor for me.  Biden was a disappointment, Palin pissed me off by giving me no choice.

I now think McCain might have been the better choice over Obama, but I still wouldn't have voted for him with Palin on the ticket.  I think he could have managed Congress much better, and the worst of the stupid intransigence over health care and the budget wouldn't have happened.

DGuller

It wouldn't have happened because McCain wouldn't be a Democrat.  The number one reason why politics have been so hostile since Obama's elections are that Republicans are sore losers, and have a habit of denying the legitimacy of Democratic presidents.

Admiral Yi

Viking

Quote from: DGuller on August 15, 2011, 03:55:39 PM
It wouldn't have happened because McCain wouldn't be a Democrat.  The number one reason why politics have been so hostile since Obama's elections are that Republicans are sore losers, and have a habit of denying the legitimacy of Democratic presidents.

When Moral issues become political issues or vice versa then political opponents become immoral, and if you are religious, they become enemies of god. When the opposition is made up of immoral enemies of god then I'd be surprised that politics weren't hostile.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

dps

Quote from: Siege on August 15, 2011, 02:47:23 PM
Let me rephrase. Obama profited in the election by being black, regardless of wheather he played the race card or not.
Now, this was a one time event. Only the first black american to run in the finals got this boost.
He ain't gonna get this the next election.
Americans have cleansed the guilty consciences and next time they will vote for whomever they think will fix the economy regardless of race.

That's not entirely accurate.  Among those who vote, swing voters will vote however they will based largely on who they think will manage the economy best, regardless of race; and each party's core voters will vote for their chosen party's candidate, regardless of any other considerations.  Now one of the keys here is the phrase "among those who vote".  One factor in any election is which party can turn out their base.  There's no doubt that black voters are part of the Democratic party's base, and that they turned out in historically high levels to vote for Obama in 2008, and that was one of the factors that won him the election.  Will that be true in 2012?  I suspect that black voters in 2012 will still turn out in higher than normal numbers to vote for him again, but perhaps not at quite high a level as 2008.  But I don't really know.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 15, 2011, 03:56:24 PM
:lol:  Good one.

Yes, the impeachment of George W. Bush by angry Dems was an amazing specticel.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Razgovory on August 15, 2011, 04:15:11 PM

I wish I could spell.

Admiral Yi

Almost as amazing a specticel as the impeachment of Obama by angry Republicans.  It's a judgement call which of the two specticels was more amazing.  Both were pretty damn amazing.

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 15, 2011, 04:18:15 PM

Almost as amazing a specticel as the impeachment of Obama by angry Republicans.  It's a judgement call which of the two specticels was more amazing.  Both were pretty damn amazing.

It started with Clinton :contract:

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Siege

Quote from: Razgovory on August 15, 2011, 04:17:24 PM

I wish I could spell.

I wish you could smell.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Please find me the occasion where Democrats impeached a Republican President.  Then we can say both sides are equal.

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on August 15, 2011, 04:26:16 PM

Please find me the occasion where Democrats impeached a Republican President.  Then we can say both sides are equal.

I blame Nixon for there being no example of this.