News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2012=1860?

Started by Tamas, August 10, 2011, 03:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Siege on August 10, 2011, 06:06:30 PM

WTF is up with that map?  The WESTERN TERRITORIES were still part of the United States.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Palisadoes

Quote from: Ideologue on August 10, 2011, 06:58:44 PM
Quote from: Siege on August 10, 2011, 06:06:30 PM

WTF is up with that map?  The WESTERN TERRITORIES were still part of the United States.

Didn't those areas not have statehood granted?

Slargos

Quote from: Razgovory on August 10, 2011, 06:32:08 PM
Quote from: Slargos on August 10, 2011, 05:06:02 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 10, 2011, 05:01:31 PM
And retard map shows up again

If you just learn to accept the inevitable instead of fear it, things will go a lot more smoothly for you.

We aren't Scandinavians.  Half our country doesn't just walk off.

Which is a bit disturbing, given that you popularly claim to have invented modern democracy, yet have such a hatred for self-determination.

The Swedish monarchy meanwhile, or in American terms old world despotism, managed to settle a nationalist independence movement without a single shot fired.

Funny how things work out.

Even funnier how you also cheered on the Kosovo rebellion.

I guess as the old saying goes, everything is so big in America that double-standards simply aren't enough. You need tripple-standards. Preferably super-sized.

garbon

If you just learn to accept the inevitable instead of fear it, things will go a lot more smoothly for you.

Seems intellectually lazy. If the US splits it won't be conveniently upon old state lines.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Slargos

Quote from: garbon on August 10, 2011, 07:08:56 PM

Seems intellectually lazy. If the US splits it won't be conveniently upon old state lines.

Look. He's a professor. Are you a professor?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Palisadoes on August 10, 2011, 07:03:51 PM

Didn't those areas not have statehood granted?

Nope. Still territories.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Quote from: Slargos on August 10, 2011, 07:10:54 PM

I am.

Ideologue

Quote from: Slargos on August 10, 2011, 07:06:53 PM

Which is a bit disturbing, given that you popularly claim to have invented modern democracy, yet have such a hatred for self-determination.

The Swedish monarchy meanwhile, or in American terms old world despotism, managed to settle a nationalist independence movement without a single shot fired.

I guess as the old saying goes, everything is so big in America that double-standards simply aren't enough. You need tripple-standards. Preferably super-sized.

Self-determination is an abomination.  There are times when rebellion against the government is justified, e.g. Kosovo, but self-determination is not sufficient in itself.

This is why the Scots are scum, free-riding on the stability the UK has provided them, the geological resources they've lucked into, and the defensive umbrella of the Royal Navy.  I hope if the independence movement ever wins a referendum, the UK simply glasses Edinburgh with a Trident.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Slargos on August 10, 2011, 07:10:54 PM

Sure.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

What you don't understand is that Americans have balls.  Something sadly lacking amongst European males.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Slargos

Quote from: Ideologue on August 10, 2011, 07:13:08 PM

Self-determination is an abomination.  There are times when rebellion against the government is justified, e.g. Kosovo, but self-determination is not sufficient in itself.

This is why the Scots are scum, free-riding on the stability the UK has provided them, the geological resources they've lucked into, and the defensive umbrella of the Royal Navy.  I hope if the independence movement ever wins a referendum, the UK simply glasses Edinburgh with a Trident.

So basically, anyone you think is evil. Don't you think that's a little bit weird? A little bit psycho?

garbon

I don't think the Scots are evil (not in the least) but I also don't support their independence.

Ideologue

Why do you love Milosevic, Slargos?

But seriously, I've always found self-determination to be something of a bottomless pit.  It claims to have moral backing, but it fails in two respects:

1)its ultimate outcome is anarchy.  A planet full of city-states--as trust and mutuality erode, subordinate polities remove themselves from the nation, either because they feel it's best for them, or because they feel that others plan on betraying them first.
2)it is an unforgivable abdication of the government's responsibility to protect its loyal citizens.  I should never have to move should 55% of South Carolinians wish to secede.
Kinemalogue

Ed Anger

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on August 10, 2011, 07:21:42 PM
I don't think the Scots are evil (not in the least) but I also don't support their independence.

I only use the Scots example because every Scot I have ever spoken to holds to at least one abhorrent idea, relating to their stupid fake nationalism, and often more than one.
Kinemalogue