News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2012=1860?

Started by Tamas, August 10, 2011, 03:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

I was reading a rather good Spectator article from last week. The sentence I liked most was that Obama spending levels financed from Tea Party tax levels will not stand and will ruin the country if left alone.

Based on that (the simple fact that you either have welfare, or low taxes, both is not possible) the article raised the point that it may very well be that next year's US election be akin to the one in 1860: it will be a decision on what road that nation will take.

Discuss.

Viking

This all fits in with the moralism as driver of conflict in the USA theory that I sort of have some sympathy for. Add 1932 to that list.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Slargos

alfred russel

Nonsense, unless one side sweeps the election, ie, wins the white house, the house of reps with a decent majority, and at least 60 seats in the senate, we are going to get gridlock just like we have now. There will not be a chance of major changes, and mostly the two parties fighting out what gets cut from a bloated deficit (including through tax increases).

FWIW, the democrats have almost no chance to pick up seats in the Senate, because in 2006 they dominated and thus have almost all the contestable seats up for election already. The republicans are in the minority and would need to pick up almost 15 seats of the 33 or so up in the senate, which just won't happen. So basically major changes are probably going to have to wait until at least 2014. And even then, the public increasingly does not respect either party platform. If either side gets control of the legislature and white house (as Obama did at the beginning), there is almost certain to be a major backlash in the next election.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ed Anger

And retard map shows up again
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Slargos

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 10, 2011, 05:01:31 PM

If you just learn to accept the inevitable instead of fear it, things will go a lot more smoothly for you.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Slargos on August 10, 2011, 05:06:02 PM

If you just learn to accept the inevitable instead of fear it, things will go a lot more smoothly for you.

I accept that notion the map is fucking retarded.

Slargos

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 10, 2011, 05:10:19 PM

I agree that it's a bit silly to think southern california will go anywhere but mexico, yeah. Retarded is a bit strongly worded, though.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Slargos on August 10, 2011, 05:12:56 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 10, 2011, 05:10:19 PM

I agree that it's a bit silly to think southern california will go anywhere but mexico, yeah. Retarded is a bit strongly worded, though.

The map has downs syndrome, and everybody that reposts it eats paste.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

We aren't Scandinavians.  Half our country doesn't just walk off.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Palisadoes

Quote from: Tamas on August 10, 2011, 03:26:57 PM
I was reading a rather good Spectator article from last week. The sentence I liked most was that Obama spending levels financed from Tea Party tax levels will not stand and will ruin the country if left alone.

Based on that (the simple fact that you either have welfare, or low taxes, both is not possible) the article raised the point that it may very well be that next year's US election be akin to the one in 1860: it will be a decision on what road that nation will take.

Discuss.

To some degree I agree with what you say - it will be an important election; does the USA want to go left or right? However, I think the comparison with 1860 is highly superfluous since it implies something as catastrophic as a civil war.